Difficulty Defining the Problem
- Gundersen C.
- Evans C.
A Changing College Student Demographic Experiences Existing Assumptions with Fewer Resources
- Protopsaltis S.
- Parrott S.
- Blagg K.
- Gundersen C.
- Schanzenbach D.W.
- Ziliak J.P.
- Zollinger B.
- Mills S.
- Brandt E.
- Rohleder-Sook W.
A Mixed Bag of Solutions with Varying Effectiveness
- Berry T.
- Sloper M.
- Doll K.
- Morgan M.
- Arrowood J.
- Farris A.
- Griffin J.
New Efforts for Larger-Scale Policy Intervention
- Esaryk E.E.
- Arriaga E.E.J.
- Kalaydjian S.
- Martinez S.M.
Recommendations for Pracititioners and Researchers
- 1.Standardized national evaluation of food security across all types of college campuses with random sampling allowing for adequate representation of all student populations, especially populations that are often underrepresented in surveys.
- 2.Rigorous evaluation of current programs, interventions, and policies used by college campuses to improve food security.
- 3.Federal and state policy changes, especially focused on eligibility requirements for SNAP, to support food security among students, and evaluation of the effects of these changes.
- Food insecurity is associated with increased risk of obesity in US college students.Curr Dev Nutr. 2020; 4: nzaa120
- Associations between food security status and diet-related outcomes among students at a large, public midwestern university.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 1623-1631
- Hungry to learn: The prevalence and effects of food insecurity on health behaviors and outcomes over time among a diverse sample of university freshmen.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2018; 15: 9
- Factors related to the high rates of food insecurity among diverse, urban college freshmen.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1450-1457
- No food for thought: Food insecurity is related to poor mental health and lower academic performance among students in California’s public university system.J Health Psychol. 2020; 25: 1930-1939
- Psychological distress among college students: Role of food insecurity and other social determinants of mental health.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 4118
- Food insecurity, psychosocial health, and academic performance among college and university students in Georgia, USA.Public Health Nutr. 2019; 22: 476
- Food insecurity among graduate students: Prevalence and association with depression, anxiety and stress.Public Health Nutr. 2021; 24: 1889-1894
- Food insecurity among community college students: Prevalence and association with grade point average.Community Coll J Res Pract. 2015; 39: 515-526
- Food insecurity and academic achievement among college students at a public university in the United States.J Coll Stud Dev. 2019; 60: 307-318
- Viewpoint: Food insecurity among college students: A case for consistent and comparable measurement.Food Policy. 2021; : 102031
- A systematic review of food insecurity among US students in higher education.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2019; 14: 725-740
- The struggle is real: A systematic review of food insecurity on postsecondary education campuses.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1767-1791
- Food insecurity among college students in the United States: A scoping review.Adv Nutr. 2019; 11: 327-348
- Food insecurity research in the United States: Where we have been and where we need to go.Appl Econ Perspect Policy. 2018; 40: 119-135
- Are college students more likely to be food insecure than nonstudents of similar ages? Appl Econ Perspect Policy.(Published online ahead of print October 16, 2020)
- A nationwide population-based study identifying health disparities between American Indians/Alaska Natives and the general populations living in select urban counties.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 1478-1484
- Food insecurity among American Indians and Alaska Natives: A national profile using the current population survey–food security supplement.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2017; 12: 1-10
- Food insecurity and disability in the United States.Disabil Health J. 2019; 12: 220-226
- Food insecurity across the adult life span for persons with disabilities.J Disabil Policy Stud. 2017; 28: 109-118
- Are estimates of food insecurity among college students accurate? Comparison of assessment protocols.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0215161
- Partnering to build a pantry: A university campus responds to student food insecurity.J Poverty. 2016; 20: 340-358
- The relationship between food security, housing stability, and school performance among college students in an urban university.J Coll Stud Ret. 2017; 19: 284-299
- College students’ interpretations of food security questions: Results from cognitive interviews.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 1-16
- Examining the role of financial factors, resources and skills in predicting food security status among college students.Int J Consum. 2014; 38: 374-384
- U.S. gov’t to ask students about food insecurity. The Temple News.(Accessed February 19, 2021)
- Income and Poverty in the United States: 2019.US Government Printing Office, 2020
- Table 330.10. Average undergraduate tuition and fees and room and board rates charged for full-time students in degree-granting postsecondary institutions, by level and control of institution: Selected years, 1963-64 through 2018-19. Digest of Education Statistics. National Center for Education Statistics.(Accessed November 2, 2021)
- Pell grants—A key tool for expanding college access and economic opportunity—Need strengthening, not cuts. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.(Published July 27, 2017. Accessed November 2, 2021)https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/pell-grants-a-key-tool-for-expanding-college-access-and-economic
- Table 303.70. Total undergraduate fall enrollment in degree-granting postsecondary institutions, by attendance status, sex of student, and control and level of institution: Selected years, 1970 through 2029. Digest of Education Statistics. National Center for Education Statistics.(Accessed November 2, 2021)
- Nontraditional adult learners: The neglected diversity in postsecondary education.SAGE Open. 2017; 7 (2158244017697161)
- First-generation college students: Demographic characteristics and postsecondary enrollment. RTI International.(Accessed February 19, 2021)
- Table 306.10. Total fall enrollment in degree-granting postsecondary institutions, by level of enrollment, sex, attendance status, and race/ethnicity or nonresident alien status of student: Selected years, 1976 through 2018. Digest of Education Statistics. National Center for Education Statistics.(Accessed November 2, 2021)
- Prevalence and correlates of food insecurity among U.S. college students: A multi-institutional study.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 660
- Feeding the student body: Unequal food insecurity among college students.J Health Educ. 2019; 50: 167-175
- Assessing food insecurity on campus. Urban Institute.(Published August 2017. Accessed November 2, 2021)https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/92331/assessing_food_insecurity_on_campus_4.pdf
- Food insecurity in California’s public university system: What are the risk factors?.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2018; 13: 1-18
- Food insecurity and behavioral characteristics for academic success in young adults attending an Appalachian university.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 361
- Household Food Security in the United States in 2019.ERR-275. US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, 2020
- College student food insecurity and awareness and use of supports: Recent findings from a survey of students at a mid-sized state comprehensive university in Kansas.eJournal of Public Affairs. 2018; 7 (Accessed November 2, 2021): 57-59
- Just the “typical college diet”: How college students use life stages to account for unhealthy eating.Symb Interact. 2017; 40: 523-540
- Higher education food insecurity toolkit development and feedback.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2020; 52: 64-72
- Why are hungry college students not seeking help? Predictors of and barriers to using an on-campus food pantry.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 1163
- How university infrastructure contributes to student food insecurity: The student experience.About Campus. 2020; 25: 19-24
- “It’s a feeling that one is not worth food”: A qualitative study exploring the psychosocial experience and academic consequences of food insecurity among college students.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 1713-1721.e1
- Addressing Food Insecurity Among College Students: The Landscape of the Feeding America Network.(Published October 2019. Accessed November 2, 2021)https://www.feedingamerica.org/sites/default/files/2019-10/Feeding%20America%20College%20Hunger%20Landscape%20-%20Full%20Report_October%202019.pdf
- Use and perceptions of a campus food pantry among food insecure college students: An exploratory study from Appalachia.J Appalach Health. 2020; 2: 7-23
- Defining food literacy and its components.Appetite. 2014; 76: 50-59
- College students identify university support for basic needs and life skills as key ingredient in addressing food insecurity on campus.Calif Agric. 2017; 71: 130-138
- P34 Examining skill, stress, and time in food procurement and preparation in food insecure university students.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2020; 52: S31
- Financial management skills are associated with food insecurity in a sample of households with children in the United States.J Nutr. 2012; 142: 1865-1870
- Financial capability and food security in extremely vulnerable households.Am J Agric Econ. 2018; 100: 1224-1249
- O28 Utilization of a teaching kitchen within a nutrition course to reduce food insecurity among college students.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2020; 52: S13-S14
- Assessing food security through cooking and food literacy among students enrolled in a basic food science lab at Appalachian State University. J Am Coll Health.(Published online ahead of print February 12, 2021)
- Low food security present on college campuses despite high nutrition literacy.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2020; 16: 611-627
- College students and SNAP: The new face of food insecurity in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: 1652-1658
- Establishing a campus garden and food pantry to address food insecurity: Lessons learned.J Am Coll Health. 2021; 69: 684-688
- Researching food and housing insecurity among America’s college students: Lessons learned and future steps.J Social Distress Homeless. 2020; 29: 39-46
- Strengthening the public health impacts of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program through policy.Annu Rev Public Health. 2020; 41: 453-480
- How much does Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program reduce food insecurity?.Am J Agric Econ. 2011; 93: 1082-1098
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) - Students. US Department of Agriculture.(Updated March 25, 2021. Accessed April 2, 2021)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Students. US Department of Agriculture.(Updated February 8, 2021. Accessed February 19, 2021)https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/students#:∼:text=Under%20SNAP%20regular%20rules%2C%20only,requirement%20that%20they%20actually%20participate
- Uncovering barriers to financial capability: underrepresented students’ access to financial resources.J Stud Financial Aid. 2017; 47: 70-87
- Food Insecurity: Better Information Could Help Eligible College Students Access Federal Food Assistance Benefits. Report to Congressional Requesters.GAO-19-95. US Government Accountability Office, 2018
- Understanding food insecurity among college students: Experience, motivation, and local solutions.Ann Anthropol Pract. 2017; 41: 6-19
- Final Rule: SNAP Requirements for Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents.(Updated December 5, 2019. Accessed February 19, 2021)
- Policies to reduce food insecurity: An ethical imperative.Physiol Behav. 2020; 222: 112943
- Addressing college food insecurity: An assessment of federal legislation before and during coronavirus disease-2019.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2020; 52: 982-987
Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021, Pub L No. 116-260 (2020).
- Food insecurity among college students: An analysis of US state legislation through 2020.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2021; 53: 261-266
- Campus food pantry use addresses a gap among California public university students. J Nutr Educ Behav.(Published online ahead of print August 27, 2021)
- A call for evidence to support food security interventions on college campuses.J Am Coll Health. 2021; 69: 693-695
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT No funding to disclose.