Main Outcome Measures
Statistical Analyses Performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Food security in the US: Key statistics & graphics.https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/key-statistics-graphics.aspx#childrenDate accessed: August 19, 2019
- The COVID-19 crisis has already left too many children hungry in America. Brookings. 2020.https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2020/05/06/the-covid-19-crisis-has-already-left-too-many-children-hungry-in-america/Date accessed: September 4, 2020
- Child health-related quality of life and household food security.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005; 159: 51-56
- Food insufficiency, family income, and health in US preschool and school-aged children.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 781-786
- Food insufficiency and American school-aged children’s cognitive, academic, and psychosocial development.Pediatrics. 2001; 108: 44-53
- Low-income children’s participation in the National School Lunch Program and household food insufficiency.Soc Sci Med. 2016; 150: 8-14
- The School Breakfast Program strengthens household food security among low-income households with elementary school children.J Nutr. 2011; 141: 470-475
- 1st ed. University of California Press; 2010.https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1525/j.ctt1pn8qfDate accessed: August 19, 2019
- Community eligibility provision.https://www.fns.usda.gov/school-meals/community-eligibility-provisionDate accessed: August 19, 2019
- Community Eligibility: The Key to Hunger-Free Schools School Year 2019-2020; 2020.https://frac.org/wp-content/uploads/CEP-Report-2020-1.pdfDate accessed: June 4, 2020
- Impact of the community eligibility provision of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 on Student Nutrition, Behavior, and Academic Outcomes (2011-2019).Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 1405-1410
- Universal school meals and associations with student participation, attendance, academic performance, diet quality, food security, and body mass index: a systematic review.Nutrients. 2021; 13: 911
- Community Eligibility Provision Evaluation. United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service; 2014.https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/CEPEvaluation.pdfDate accessed: August 19, 2019
- Paying for Free Lunch: The Impact of CEP Universal Free Meals on Revenues, Spending, and Student Health. Maxwell School Center for Policy Research; 2020.https://www.maxwell.syr.edu/uploadedFiles/cpr/publications/working_papers2/wp227.pdfDate accessed: December 1, 2020
- Universal free meals associated with lower meal costs while maintaining nutritional quality.Nutrients. 2021; 13: 670
- Characteristics of School Districts Offering Free School Meals to All Students Through the Community Eligibility Provision.United States Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service, 2018: 28
- School Meal Trends & Stats. 2019.https://schoolnutrition.org/aboutschoolmeals/schoolmealtrendsstats/Date accessed: August 21, 2019
- Measuring factors affecting implementation of health innovations: a systematic review of structural, organizational, provider, patient, and innovation level measures.Implement Sci. 2013; 8: 22
- A Review of Implementation Outcome Measures of School-Based Physical Activity Interventions..J Sch Health. 2017; 87: 474-486
- Party affiliation and public spending: evidence from U.S. governors.Econ Inq. 2017; 55: 982-995
- The Hunger-Free Schools Act of 2015; Maryland HB 965.; 2015.http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/fnotes/bil_0005/hb0965.pdfDate accessed: August 21, 2019
Hecht A. Universal Free School Meals: Implementation of the Community Eligibility Provision and Impacts on Student Nutrition, Behavior, and Academic Performance [dissertation]. Published online May 2020.
- FNS Regional Offices.https://www.fns.usda.gov/fns-regional-offices#mainDate accessed: June 28, 2018
- Economies of Scale, the Lunch-Breakfast Ratio, and the Cost of USDA School Breakfasts and Lunches. United States Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service.http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=45441Date accessed: December 11, 2020
- School Foodservice Costs: Location Matters. United States Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service.http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=44845Date accessed: December 11, 2020
- Special Nutrition Program Operations Study: State and School Food Authority Policies and Practices for School Meals Programs School Year 2011-12. United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service; 2014.https://www.fns.usda.gov/special-nutrition-program-operations-study-state-and-school-food-authority-policies-and-practicesDate accessed: December 11, 2020
- Common Core of Data. 2020.https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/Date accessed: May 27, 2020
- Effects of Immigration on WIC and NSLP Caseloads. 2016.https://www.urban.org/research/publication/effects-immigration-wic-and-nslp-caseloadsDate accessed: February 19, 2020
- Urban Institute; 2019.https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/99856/03012019_toward_an_accurate_account_of_lowincome_students.pdfDate accessed: April 20, 2020
- School Nutrition and Meal Cost Study. 2019.https://www.fns.usda.gov/school-nutrition-and-meal-cost-studyDate accessed: November 6, 2019
- University of New Hampshire Carsey School of Public Policy; 2015.https://scholars.unh.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1245&context=carseyDate accessed: December 11, 2019
- Understanding the Relationship Between Community Eligibility and Title I Funding. 2019.https://frac.org/wp-content/uploads/understanding-relationship-between-cep-and-title-I-funding.pdfDate accessed: December 2, 2020
- Community Eligibility (CEP) Database. 2019.https://frac.org/research/resource-library/community-eligibility-cep-databaseDate accessed: June 28, 2018
- National Center for Education Statistics. 2017.https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/pdf/CCD_201516_File_Documentation_2017074.pdfDate accessed: December 1, 2019
- James G. Witten D. Hastie T. Tibshirani R. An Introduction to Statistical Learning: With Applications in R. Springer, 2013
- StataCorp LLC.
- HB 5113: Certain School Boards; Student Meals; Participation in the Community Eligibility Provision.; 2020.https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?202+ful+CHAP0002Date accessed: December 11, 2020
- Direct Certification in the National School Lunch Program Report to Congress: State Implementation Progress, School Year 2015-2016 and 2016-2017. 2018.https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/resource-files/NSLPDirectCertification2016.pdfDate accessed: October 1, 2019
- SNAP Data Tables. 2021.https://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snapDate accessed: April 2, 2021
- SNAP Is Responding to Increased Need, Early Evidence Shows. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. 2020.https://www.cbpp.org/blog/snap-is-responding-to-increased-need-early-evidence-showsDate accessed: June 4, 2020
- Updated Title I Guidance for Schools Electing Community Eligibility. 2015.https://www.fns.usda.gov/updated-title-i-guidance-schools-electing-community-eligibilityDate accessed: August 19, 2019
- Brookings Institute; 2013.https://www.brookings.edu/book/confronting-suburban-poverty-in-america/Date accessed: August 21, 2019
- Community eligibility and other provisions for universal free meals at school: impact on student breakfast and lunch participation in California public schools.Transl Behav Med. 2019; 9: 931-941
- More Than One in Six Adults Were Food Insecure Two Months into the COVID-19 Recession. Urban Institute; 2020.https://www.urban.org/research/publication/more-one-six-adults-were-food-insecure-two-months-covid-19-recessionDate accessed: September 4, 2020
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Training and research support for AAH was provided by the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future-Lerner Fellowship and the Johns Hopkins Lerner Center for Public Health Promotion.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS A. A. H. conceptualized and designed the study, conducted analyses, interpreted findings, drafted the initial manuscript, and reviewed and revised the manuscript. E. A. S. and K. M. P. P. helped conceptualize the study and interpret findings. and critically reviewed the manuscript for important intellectual content. All authors approved the final manuscript as submitted and agree to be accountable for all aspects of the work.