Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Strategic framework for the Health Promoting Universities project.in: Tsouros A. Dowding G. Thompson J. Dooris M. World Health Organization Health Promoting Universities: Concept, Experience and Framework for Action. WHO Regional Office for Europe, 1998: 121-137
- Are products sold in university vending machines nutritionally poor? A food environment audit.Nutr Diet. 2017; 74: 185-190
- Assessment of the dining environment on and near the campuses of fifteen post-secondary institutions.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 1186-1196
- Description, measurement and evaluation of tertiary-education food environments.Br J Nutr. 2016; 115: 1598-1606
- Exploring university food environment and on-campus food purchasing behaviors, preferences, and opinions.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2019; 51: 865-875
- Food environment interventions to improve the dietary behavior of young adults in tertiary education settings: A systematic literature review.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1647-1681.e1641
- The unintended consequences of changes in beverage options and the removal of bottled water on a university campus.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 1404-1408
- Effectiveness of nutrition interventions in vending machines to encourage the purchase and consumption of healthier food and drinks in the university setting: A systematic review.Nutrients. 2020; 12: 876
- A systematic literature review of nutrition interventions in vending machines that encourage consumers to make healthier choices.Obes Rev. 2015; 16: 1030-1041
- Investigating business outcomes of healthy food retail strategies: A systematic scoping review.Obes Rev. 2019; 20: 1384-1399
Euromonitor International. Vending in World—Datagraphics. Euromonitor; April 2020.
Euromonitor International. Vending in Australia—Analysis. Euromonitor; March 2020.
- University students' on-campus food purchasing behaviors, preferences, and opinions on food availability.Nutrition. 2017; 37: 7-13
- Testing product, pricing, and promotional strategies for vending machine interventions with a college population.J Foodserv Bus Res. 2019; 22: 303-325
- Consumer support for healthy food and drink vending machines in public places.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2015; 39: 355-357
- Deakin at a Glance 2018.Deakin University, 2018
- Food charter. Deakin University.(Published 2020. Accessed April 16, 2020)
Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy Choices: Food and Drink Classification Guide. 2015, Victorian Government; Melbourne, Victoria.
- Australian Dietary Guidelines. National Health and Medical Research Council.(Published 2013. Accessed April 28, 2021)https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/the_guidelines/n55_australian_dietary_guidelines.pdf
- FoodChecker. State of Victoria.(Published 2016. Accessed April 16, 2020)
- FoodSwitch. The George Institute for Global Health.(Published 2020. Accessed April 16, 2020)
- Calculator and artwork. Australian Department of Health.(Published 2019. Updated 25 Jun 2019. Accessed April 16, 2020)
- Sugars Intake for Adults and Children: Guideline.World Health Organization, 2015
- AUSNUT 2011–13—Australian food Composition Database.Food Standards, Australia, New Zealand, Canberra2014
- Segmented regression analysis of interrupted time series studies in medication use research.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2002; 27: 299-309
- Stata [computer program]. Version 16. Stata Corp, 2019
- Climate data online. Australian Bureau of Meteorology.(Published 2021. Accessed March 23, 2021)
- Conducting interrupted time-series analysis for single-and multiple-group comparisons.Stata J. 2015; 15: 480-500
- How to improve food choices through vending machines: The importance of healthy food availability and consumers’ awareness.Food Qual Prefer. 2017; 62: 262-269
- Impact of food labelling systems on food choices and eating behaviours: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized studies.Obes Rev. 2016; 17: 201-210
- Altering the availability or proximity of food, alcohol, and tobacco products to change their selection and consumption.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 9: CD012573
- Vending machines: A narrative review of factors influencing items purchased.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1578-1588
- Hitting the books: Characteristics of higher education students. Australian Bureau of Statistics.(Published 2014. Updated March 4, 2014. Accessed April 28, 2020)
Supplementary materials: Tables 1, 2, and 3 and Figures 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, and 11 are available at www.jandonline.org
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST All authors are employees of the university at which the intervention took place. The beverage supplier provided sales data to the authors for the purposes of the current analysis. The supplier had no role in the design, analysis, or writing of the manuscript.
FUNDING/SUPPORT M. R. Blake, A. Peeters, and C. Livaditis are funded by Deakin University. A. J. Cameron is supported by a Future Leader Fellowship (grant ID 36357) from the National Heart Foundation of Australia. He has received other funding from the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC), Australian Research Council, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, and the World Health Organization. M. R. Blake, A. Peeters, and A. J. Cameron are researchers within the NHMRC-funded Centre of Research Excellence in Food Retail EnvironmentS for Health (RE-FRESH) (APP1152968). The opinions, analysis, and conclusions in this article are those of the authors and should not be attributed to the NHMRC.