Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Understanding spinal cord injury: Part 1—The body before and after injury. Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center.Accessed May 4th, 2020)
- Risk factors for mortality in spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2014; 37: 670-671
- Cardiovascular disease in spinal cord injury: An overview of prevalence, risk, evaluation, and management.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 86: 142-152
- A lifestyle intervention program for successfully addressing major cardiometabolic risks in persons with SCI: A three-subject case series.Spinal Cord Series and Cases. 2017; 3: 1-8
- The effect of residual neurological deficit on oral glucose tolerance in persons with chronic spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 1999; 37: 765-771
- Disorders of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in veterans with paraplegia or quadriplegia: A model of premature aging.Metabolism. 1994; 43: 749-756
- Invited review carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in chronic spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2001; 24: 266-277
National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center. Facts and figures at a glance 2020. Birmingham, AL: University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Effects on blood lipids of a blood pressure-lowering diet: The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2001; 74: 80-89
- Mediterranean diet and cardiodiabesity: A systematic review through evidence-based answers to key clinical questions.Nutrients. 2019; 11: 655
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index–2015.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1622-1633
- Diet quality is inversely related to cardiovascular risk factors in adults.J Nutr. 2012; 142: 2112-2118
- Diet-quality scores and the risk of type 2 diabetes in men.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 1150-1156
- Diet quality as assessed by the Healthy Eating Index, Alternate Healthy Eating Index, Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Score, and Health Outcomes: A second update of a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2020; 120: 1998-2031
- Nutritional status in chronic spinal cord injury: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Spinal Cord. 2018; 57: 3-17
- Determinants of dietary behaviour in wheelchair users with spinal cord injury or lower limb amputation: Perspectives of rehabilitation professionals and wheelchair users.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0228465
- Paradoxical nutritional deficiency in overweight and obesity: The importance of nutrient density.Med J Aust. 2009; 190: 149-151
- Utilizing a low-carbohydrate/high-protein diet to improve metabolic health in individuals with spinal cord injury (DISH): Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2019; 20: 466
- Distribution of the Matsuda Index in Japanese healthy subjects.J Diabetes Investig. 2013; 4: 369-371
- Classification and diagnosis of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: S8-S16
- Insulin sensitivity indices obtained from oral glucose tolerance testing: comparison with the euglycemic insulin clamp.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 1462-1470
General Electrics Lunar iDXA enCORE [Computer Software], Version 13.6 (2011). Madison, WI: GE Medical Systems Ultrasound & Primary Care Diagnostics, LLC.
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge.Clin Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- The impact of C reactive protein on global cardiovascular risk on patients with coronary artery disease.Curr Health Sci J. 2013; 39: 225-231
- Nutrition Data System for Research. Nutrition Coordinating Center, Minneapolis, MN2016
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2015.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1591-1602
- Testing the predictive validity of the Healthy Eating Index-2015 in the multiethnic cohort: is the score associated with a reduced risk of all-cause and cause-specific mortality?.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 452
- SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC2014
- PCAmixdata: Multivariate analysis of mixed data. R package version 3.1.https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=PCAmixdataDate accessed: January 15, 2020
- sjstats: Statistical functions for regression models (Version 0.18.0).https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=sjstatsDate accessed: January 20, 2020
- Moving to a World Beyond “p < 0.05.The American Statistician. 2019; 73: 1-19
- Using effect size-or why the P value is not enough.J Grad Med Educ. 2012; 4: 279-282
National Center for Health Statistics. What we eat in America/National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2015-2016. Healthy Eating Index-2015, Scores. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics.Sage, London2013
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Statistical Power Analysis: A Simple and General Model for Traditional and Modern Hypothesis Tests.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ2004
- Nutritional health considerations for persons with spinal cord injury.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2017; 23: 188-206
- Calorie and macronutrients intake in people with spinal cord injuries: An analysis by sex and injury-related variables.Nutrition. 2012; 28: 143-147
- Baseline dietary intake of individuals with spinal cord injury who are overweight or obese.J Acad Nutr Dietetics. 2019; 119: 301-309
- Dietary intake and nutritional status of urban community-dwelling men with paraplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 664-671
- Diet quality is prospectively associated with incident impaired fasting glucose in older adults.Diabet Med. 2013; 30: 557-562
- Diet quality as assessed by the Healthy Eating Index, Alternate Healthy Eating Index, Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Score, and health outcomes: An updated systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 74-100
- Adherence to the Healthy Eating Index-2015 and other dietary patterns may reduce risk of cardiovascular disease, cardiovascular mortality, and all-cause mortality.J Nutr. 2020; 150: 312-321
- Improving diet quality is associated with decreased inflammation: findings from a pilot intervention in postmenopausal women with obesity.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 2135-2143
- Alternative Healthy Eating Index 2010, Dietary Inflammatory Index and risk of mortality: Results from the Whitehall II cohort study and meta-analysis of previous Dietary Inflammatory Index and mortality studies.Br J Nutr. 2017; 118: 210-221
- Which nutritional factors are good for HDL?.J Clin Med Res. 2018; 10: 936-939
- Surrogate markers of insulin resistance: A review.World J Diabetes. 2010; 1: 36-47
- Healthy eating index and cardiovascular risk factors among Iranians.J Am Coll Nutr. 2013; 32: 111-121
- Influence of lifestyle on incident cardiovascular disease and mortality in patients with diabetes mellitus.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 2867-2876
- A prospective study of overall diet quality and risk of type 2 diabetes in women.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1753-1757
- Diet quality indices and cardiovascular diseases risk factors among diabetic women.J Sci Food Agric. 2019; 99: 5926-5933
- Carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in chronic spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2001; 24: 266-277
- A systematic review of the effect of dietary interventions on cardiovascular disease risk in adults with spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2019; : 1-20
- Changes in nutrient intake and inflammation following an anti-inflammatory diet in spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2019; 42: 768-777
- A high-protein diet or combination exercise training to improve metabolic health in individuals with long-standing spinal cord injury: A pilot randomized study.Physiol Rep. 2018; 6e13813
- The effect of dietary intervention on lipid profiles in individuals with spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2001; 24: 26-29
- Dietary assessment primer, 24-hour dietary recall (24HR) at a glance. National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute.Accessed February 23rd, 2021)
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by the NIDLRR-DHHS- Administration for Community Living Sponsor award, The University of Alabama at Birmingham Spinal Cord Injury Model System (McLain, PI).
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS JL wrote the first draft with contributions from AD, AA, EDW, ENK, CYF. JL collected the data. All authors read and approved the manuscript.