Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Clinical practice guideline for nutrition in chronic kidney disease: 2020 update.Am J Kidney Dis. 2020; 76: S1-S107
- Hypertension awareness, treatment, and control in chronic kidney disease.Am J Med. 2008; 121: 332-340
- Prevalence, patterns of treatment, and control of hypertension in predialysis patients with chronic kidney disease.Nephron Clin Pract. 2012; 120: c147-c155
- US Renal Data System 2019 annual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States.Published 2019. Accessed April 20, 2020)
- The effects of dietary protein restriction and blood-pressure control on the progression of chronic renal disease. Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 877-884
- 2019 ACC/AHA guideline on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines.Circulation. 2019; 140: e563-e595
- Effect of longer term modest salt reduction on blood pressure: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials.BMJ. 2013; 346: f1325
- Effects of sodium reduction and the DASH diet in relation to baseline blood pressure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 70: 2841-2848
- Get the facts: sodium and the dietary guidelines.https://www.cdc.gov/salt/pdfs/sodium_dietary_guidelines.pdfDate accessed: October 23, 2020
Schünemann H, Guyatt G, Oxman A, editors. GRADE handbook for grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. Updated October 2013. The GRADE Working Group, 2013. https://gdt.gradepro.org/app/handbook/handbook.html. Accessed November 11, 2020.
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 1006-1012
- Effect of medical nutrition therapy on primary outcomes for individuals with chronic kidney disease.https://www.crd.york.ac.uk/prospero/display_record.php?ID=CRD42020157835Date accessed: November 10, 2020
- Effects of sodium-specific medical nutrition therapy in individuals with chronic kidney disease: a systematic review.http://osf.io/5j3e7Date accessed: June 25, 2020
- "What is the effect of MNT provided by a dietitian on nutrition outcomes in adults with CKD 1-5D and post-transplant?.https://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?menu=5303&pcat=5731&cat=5873Date accessed: March 3, 2020
- Rayyan—a web and mobile app for systematic reviews.Syst Rev. 2016; 5: 210
- RoB 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2019; 366: l4898
- Risk-of-bias VISualization (robvis): An R package and web application for visualising risk-of-bias assessments.Res Synth Methods. 2021; 12: 55-61
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing. [computer program]. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2010
- GRADE guidelines: 1. Introduction-GRADE evidence profiles and summary of findings tables.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 383-394
- GRADE guidelines: 11. Making an overall rating of confidence in effect estimates for a single outcome and for all outcomes.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 151-157
- Long-term effects of intensive low-salt diet education on deterioration of glomerular filtration rate among non-diabetic hypertensive patients with chronic kidney disease.Kidney Blood Press Res. 2019; 44: 1101-1114
- Effects of intensive low-salt diet education on albuminuria among nondiabetic patients with hypertension treated with olmesartan: a single-blinded randomized, controlled trial.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014; 9: 2059-2069
- The role of salt intake and salt sensitivity in the management of hypertension in South Asian people with chronic kidney disease: a randomised controlled trial.Heart. 2013; 99: 1256-1260
- A randomized crossover trial of dietary sodium restriction in stage 3-4 CKD.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 12: 399-407
- Sodium restriction on top of renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system blockade increases circulating levels of N-acetyl-seryl-aspartyl-lysyl-proline in chronic kidney disease patients.J Hypertens. 2013; 31: 2425-2432
- Moderate dietary sodium restriction added to angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition compared with dual blockade in lowering proteinuria and blood pressure: randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2011; : 343
- Sodium restriction in patients with CKD: a randomized controlled trial of self-management support.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 69: 576-586
- Effect of dietary sodium restriction on body water, blood pressure, and inflammation in hemodialysis patients: a prospective randomized controlled study.Int Urol Nephrol. 2014; 46: 91-97
- The impact of daily sodium intake on posttransplant hypertension in kidney allograft recipients.Transplant Proc. 2006; 38: 1323-1326
- Effects of dietary counseling on sodium restriction in patients with chronic kidney disease on hemodialysis: a randomized clinical trial.Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2020; 31: 604-613
- Dietary salt restriction in chronic kidney disease: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 732
- Altered dietary salt intake for people with chronic kidney disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 2: CD010070
- Systematic review and meta-analyses: dietary behavior interventions in non-dialysis chronic kidney disease.West J Nurs Res. 2020; 42: 937-947
- Revisiting the dialysate sodium prescription as a tool for better blood pressure and interdialytic weight gain management in hemodialysis patients.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008; 3: 522-530
- The effect of dietary salt on blood pressure in individuals receiving chronic dialysis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.J Human Hypertens. 2019; 33: 319-326
- Urinary sodium and potassium excretion and CKD progression.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 27: 1202-1212
Supplementary materials: Table 2 and Figure 4 are available at www.jandonline.org
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This systematic review was funded by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
This systematic review was registered at PROSPERO (CRD42020157835) and at Open Science Framework.