Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Working group reports: Evaluation of the evidence to support practice guidelines for nutritional care of preterm infants-the Pre-B Project.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 103: 648S-678S
- Executive summary: Evaluation of the evidence to support practice guidelines for nutritional care of preterm infants-the Pre-B Project.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 103: 599S-605S
- Nutrition assessment, exposures, and interventions for very-low-birth-weight preterm infants: A scoping review.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 323-339
- Weight growth velocity and postnatal growth failure in infants 501 to 1500 grams: 2000-2013.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: e84-e92
- Variation in enteral feeding practices and growth outcomes among very premature infants: A report from the New York State Perinatal Quality Collaborative.Am J Perinatol. 2016; 33: 9-19
- Protein needs of preterm infants: Why are they so difficult to meet?.Nestle Nutr Inst Workshop Ser. 2016; 86: 121-128
- Protein intakes to optimize outcomes for preterm infants.Semin Perinatol. 2019; 43: 151154
- Enteral nutrient supply for preterm infants: Commentary from the European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition Committee on Nutrition.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010; 50: 85-91
- Nutritional needs of the preterm infant.in: Kleinman R.E. Greer F.R. Pediatric Nutrition Handbook. 8th ed. American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, IL2019: 113-162
- Weight, length, and head circumference at 36 weeks are not predictive of later cognitive impairment in very preterm infants.J Perinatol. 2021; 41: 606-614
- World Health Organization.(Published 2020. Accessed May 15, 2020)
- Boys who are born preterm show a relative lack of fat-free mass at 5 years of age compared to their peers.Acta Paediatr. 2015; 104: e119-e123
- Nutritional needs of low-birth-weight infants.Pediatrics. 1985; 75: 976-986
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics methodology for conducting systematic reviews for the evidence analysis library.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 311-318
- Preferred Reporting Items for systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses: The PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000097
- Enteral nutrition and association with health outcomes in preterm infants <1500 grams. PROSPERO CRD42018086829.(Published 2018. Accessed March 31, 2020)
- In VLBW preterm infants (less than or equal to 1,500g at birth), what is the effect of protein-energy amount via enteral nutrition on nutrition outcomes? Published 2020.(Accessed March 31, 2020)
- World Economic Situation and Prospects. United Nations. Published 2019.(Accessed May 4, 2020)
- Faster title and abstract screening? Evaluating Abstrackr, a semi-automated online screening program for systematic reviewers.Syst Rev. 2015; 4: 80
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Evidence Analysis Manual: Steps in the Academy Evidence Analysis Process. Chicago, IL: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; 2016.
- Closing the Gap Between Methodologists and End-Users: R as a Computational Back-End.J Stat Soft. 2012; 49https://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v049i05Date accessed: December 15, 2020
- RStudio: Integrated Development for R. [computer program]. RStudio, Inc, Boston, MA2016
- Chapter 10: Analysing data and undertaking meta-analyses.in: Higgins J.P.T. Thomas J. Chandler J. Cumpston M. Li T. Page M.J. Welch V.A. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Version 6.1 (updated September 2020). Cochrane, London, UK2020
- GRADE guidelines: 1. Introduction-GRADE evidence profiles and summary of findings tables.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 383-394
- Effect of protein/energy ratio on growth and behavior of premature infants: Preliminary findings.J Pediatr. 1991; 119: 103-110
- Calciuria and aminoaciduria in very low birth weight infants fed a high-mineral premature formula with varying levels of protein.J Pediatr. 1994; 125: 288-294
- Growth and nutritional biomarkers of preterm infants fed a new powdered human milk fortifier: A randomized trial.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2017; 65: e83-e93
- Effect of increased enteral protein intake on plasma and urinary urea concentrations in preterm infants born at < 32 weeks gestation and < 1500 g birth weight enrolled in a randomized controlled trial—A secondary analysis.BMC Pediatr. 2018; 18: 154
- The effect of increasing the protein content of human milk fortifier to 1.8 g/100 ml on growth in preterm infants: A randomised controlled trial.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 634
- Dietary protein intake, breast feeding and growth in human milk fed preterm infants.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018; 15: 1196
- The neonatal behavioral assessment scale as a biomarker of the effects of environmental agents on the newborn.Environ Health Perspect. 1987; 74: 185-189
- Higher versus lower protein intake in formula-fed low birth weight infants.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; Cd003959
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the nutrient content of preterm and term breast milk.BMC Pediatr. 2014; 14: 216
- Malnutrition caused by unexpectedly low protein concentration in breast milk.Pediatr Int. 2017; 59: 1100-1101
- Human milk analysis: Considering variability in the nutritional management of low birth weight infants.ICAN. 2014; 6: 301-302
- FDA permits marketing of a diagnostic test to aid in measuring nutrients in breast milk. US Food and Drug Administration.(Published 2018. Accessed September 22, 2020)https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-permits-marketing-diagnostic-test-aid-measuring-nutrients-breast-milk
- Body composition of the reference fetus.Growth. 1976; 40: 329-341
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS All authors were involved developing this systematic review from question formulation to evidence grading. T. R. Fenton, S. Groh-Wargo, and M. Rozga wrote the first draft of this manuscript and all authors reviewed and commented on subsequent drafts of the manuscript.