Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Nutrition in the First 1,000 Days: State of the World's Mothers 2012. Save the Children.https://www.savethechildren.org/content/dam/usa/reports/advocacy/sowm/sowm-2012.pdfDate accessed: April 12, 2020
- Maternal nutrition and birth outcomes.Epidemiol Rev. 2010; 32: 5-25
- Maternal environment and the transgenerational cycle of obesity and diabetes.Diabetes. 2011; 60: 1849-1855
- A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. DASH Collaborative Research Group.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1117-1124
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1279-1290
- Alternative dietary indices both strongly predict risk of chronic disease.J Nutr. 2012; 142: 1009-1018
- Accruing evidence on benefits of adherence to the Mediterranean diet on health: An updated systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 1189-1196
- Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee: Advisory Report to the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Secretary of Agriculture.US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Washington, DC2015
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services.(Published January 2016. Accessed April 12, 2020)
- The Dietary Patterns Methods Project: Synthesis of findings across cohorts and relevance to dietary guidance.J Nutr. 2015; 145: 393-402
- Dietary patterns: Challenges and opportunities in dietary patterns research an Experimental Biology workshop, April 1, 2006.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1233-1239
- Maternal dietary patterns are associated with risk of neural tube and congenital heart defects.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 177: 1279-1288
- Reduced risks of neural tube defects and orofacial clefts with higher diet quality.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2012; 166: 121-126
- Preconception dietary patterns in human pregnancies are associated with preterm delivery.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 1075-1080
- Diet quality before or during pregnancy and the relationship with pregnancy and birth outcomes: The Australian Longitudinal Study on Women's Health.Public Health Nutr. 2016; 19: 2975-2983
- Effects of maternal diet and environmental exposure to organochlorine pesticides on newborn weight in Southern Spain.Chemosphere. 2016; 156: 135-142
- Preconception nutrition, physical activity, and birth outcomes in adolescent girls.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2015; 28: 471-476
Humes K, Jones N, Ramirez R. Overview of Race and Hispanic Origin: 2010. 2010 Census Briefs. Washington, DC: US Census Bureau; March 2011.
- Prevalence of major cardiovascular risk factors and cardiovascular diseases among Hispanic/Latino individuals of diverse backgrounds in the United States.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1775-1784
- A comparison of birth outcomes among Black, Hispanic, and Black Hispanic women.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2015; 2: 573-582
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 569-580
- Pregravid body mass index is negatively associated with diet quality during pregnancy.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 920-926
- Sample design and cohort selection in the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos.Ann Epidemiol. 2010; 20: 642-649
- Food-group and nutrient-density intakes by Hispanic and Latino backgrounds in the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 1487-1498
- Strategies to optimize the impact of nutritional surveys and epidemiological studies.Adv Nutr. 2013; 4: 545-547
- Validity of U.S. nutritional surveillance: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey caloric energy intake data, 1971-2010.PLoS One. 2013; 8e76632
- Nutrition Data System for Research (NDS-R) [computer program]. Version 2011. Nutrition Coordinating Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN2011
- The Healthy Eating Index-2010 is a valid and reliable measure of diet quality according to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 399-407
- International standards for newborn weight, length, and head circumference by gestational age and sex: The Newborn Cross-Sectional Study of the INTERGROWTH-21st Project.Lancet. 2014; 384: 857-868
- INTERGROWTH-21st very preterm size at birth reference charts.Lancet. 2016; 387: 844-845
- Global physical activity questionnaire (GPAQ): Nine country reliability and validity study.J Phys Act Health. 2009; 6: 790-804
- Validity of the Global Physical Activity Questionnaire (GPAQ) in adult Latinas.J Phys Act Health. 2012; 9: 698-705
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults—The Evidence Report. National Institutes of Health.Obes Res. 1998; 6: 51s-209s
- SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4. SAS Institute, Cary, NC2013
- SUDAAN [computer program]. Release 11. RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC2012
- Before the beginning: Nutrition and lifestyle in the preconception period and its importance for future health.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1830-1841
- Dietary patterns before and during pregnancy and birth outcomes: A systematic review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2019; 109: 729s-756s
- Medical record validation of maternally reported birth characteristics and pregnancy-related events: A report from the Children's Cancer Group.Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 145: 58-67
- Dealing with dietary measurement error in nutritional cohort studies.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 1086-1092
- The Hispanic Population: 2010. US Census Bureau.(Published May 2011. Accessed April 12, 2020)
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT The Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (http://www.cscc.unc.edu/hchs/) was supported by contracts from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHBLI) to the University of North Carolina ( N01-HC65233 ), University of Miami ( N01-HC65234 ), Albert Einstein College of Medicine ( N01-HC65235 ), Northwestern University ( N01-HC65236 ), and San Diego State University ( N01-HC65237 ). The following institutes, centers, and offices contribute to The Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos through a transfer of funds to the NHLBI: National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities , National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders , National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research , National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases , National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke , and National Institutes of Health Institution, Office of Dietary Supplements .
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS A. M. Siega-Riz, C. J. Vladutiu, D. Sotres-Alvarez, L. Van Horn, C. R. Isasi, M. Daviglus, G. A. Talavera, M. Gellman, and A. M. Stuebe designed and conducted the research; N. M. Butera and D. Sotres-Alvarez performed the statistical analyses; A. M. Siega-Riz, C. J. Vladutiu, D. Sotres-Alvarez, and N. M. Butera wrote the paper; L. Van Horn, M. Gellman, M. Daviglus, A. M. Stuebe, C. R. Isasi, and G. A. Talavera provided critical interpretation of the results and all authors reviewed and provided comments on multiple drafts of the manuscript.