Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Interactions between nutrients in the maternal diet and the implications for the long-term health of the offspring.Proc Nutr Soc. 2019; 78: 88-96
- Epigenetic matters: The link between early nutrition, microbiome, and long-term health development.Frontier Pediatr. 2017; 5: 178
- Effect of women's nutrition before and during early pregnancy on maternal and infant outcomes: A systematic review.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2012; 26: 285-301
- Determinants of dietary patterns and diet quality during pregnancy: A systematic review with narrative synthesis.Public Health Nutr. 2017; 20: 1009-1028
- Eating in the absence of hunger and overweight in girls from 5 to 7 y of age.Am J Clin Nutr. 2002; 76: 226-231
- Family influences: Mothers' and daughters' use of multivitamin mineral supplements.Nutr Today. 2002; 37: 173-174
- Understanding eating in the absence of hunger among young children: A systematic review of existing studies.Appetite. 2015; 85: 36-47
- Addressing current criticism regarding the value of self-report dietary data.J Nutr. 2015; 145: 2639-2645
- Performance of the Automated Self-Administered 24-hour Recall relative to a measure of true intakes and to an interviewer-administered 24-h recall.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 233-240
- Pregnancy eating attributes study (PEAS): A cohort study examining behavioral and environmental influences on diet and weight change in pregnancy and postpartum.BMC Nutr. 2016; 2: 45
- Pregnant women consume a similar proportion of highly versus minimally processed foods in the absence of hunger, leading to large differences in energy intake.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2021; 121: 446-457
- Inhibiting food reward: Delay discounting, food reward sensitivity, and palatable food intake in overweight and obese women.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011; 19: 2175-2182
- Stata Statistical Software [computer program]. Release 14. StataCorp LP, College Station, TX2015
- The use of visual analogue scales to assess motivation to eat in human subjects: a review of their reliability and validity with an evaluation of new hand-held computerized systems for temporal tracking of appetite ratings.Br J Nutr. 2000; 84: 405-415
- Learning to overeat: Maternal use of restrictive feeding practices promotes girls' eating in the absence of hunger.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 78: 215-220
- The Automated Self-Administered 24-hour dietary recall (ASA24): A resource for researchers, clinicians, and educators from the National Cancer Institute.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1134-1137
- Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies [database online]. Version 2011-2012. US Dept of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Food Surveys Research Group, Washington, DC2014
- Food Patterns Equivalents Database [database online]. Version 2011-2012. US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Food Surveys Research Group, Human Nutrition Research Center, Beltsville, MD2014
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2015.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1591-1602
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.8th edition. US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2015
- Income and poverty in the United States: 2016. 2017.https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2017/demo/p60-259.htmlDate accessed: September 28, 2020
- Healthy Eating Index SAS code.https://epi.grants.cancer.gov/hei/sas-code.htmlDate accessed: September 18, 2019
- Eating in the absence of hunger is related to loss-of-control eating, hedonic hunger, and short-term weight gain in normal-weight women.Appetite. 2018; 123: 317-324
- Dietary and policy priorities for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity: A comprehensive review.Circulation. 2016; 133: 187-225
Thompson FE, and Subar AF. Dietary assessment methodology, In: Coulston AM, Boushey CJ, Ferruzzi MG, and Delahanty LM. eds, Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Disease, 4th ed, London, United Kingdom; Academic Press: 2017;5–48.
- Maternal dietary patterns and associated nutrient intakes during each trimester of pregnancy.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 97-107
- Changes in dietary intake from the first to the second trimester of pregnancy.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2006; 20: 35-42
- Trimester-specific assessment of diet quality in a sample of canadian pregnant women.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019; 16: 311
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research was supported by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Intramural Research Program (contract #HHSN275201300015C and #HHSN275201300026I/HHSN27500002).
This study was registered at ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT02217462, on August 13, 2014.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS T. Nansel provided study oversight; all authors designed the research; K. Burger conducted the research; L. Lipsky performed statistical analysis and wrote the manuscript; all authors revised critically; and L. Lipsky, T. Nansel, and K. Burger had primary responsibility for final content. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.