Participants and setting
Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Core indicators of nutritional state for difficult-to-sample populations.J Nutr. 1990; 120: 1559-1600
- Household food security in the United States in 2018.Accessed January 24, 2020. 2019)
- Food insecurity and dietary quality in US adults and children: A systematic review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 684-692
- Food insecurity and health outcomes.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1830-1839
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020.https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/resources/2015-2020_Dietary_Guidelines.pdfDate accessed: January 24, 2020
- Attitudes and behaviors of food donors and perceived needs and wants of food shelf clients.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2003; 35: 6-15
Johnson K, Rawlings-Blake S, Schneider H, Cochran T. Hunger and Homelessness Survery: A status report on hunger and homelessness in America's cities. 2013(December):1-120.
- A novel food pantry program: Food security, self-sufficiency, and diet-quality outcomes.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 569-575
- A behavioural economics approach to improving healthy food selection among food pantry clients.Public Health Nutr. 2019; 22: 2303-2313
- Written nutrition guidelines, client choice distribution, and adequate refrigerator storage are positively associated with increased offerings of Feeding America's detailed Foods to Encourage (F2E) in a large sample of Arkansas food pantries.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2020; 120: 792-803.e5
- Statistical supplement to household food security in the United States in 2018. Administrative Publication no. 081.https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=94869Date accessed: October 18, 2018
- Characteristics of short and long-term food pantry users.Michigan Sociol Rev. 2012; 26: 58-74
- Understanding high incidence of severe obesity and very low food security in food pantry clients: Implications for social work.Soc Work Public Health. 2018; 33: 125-139
- Exploring long-term food pantry use: Differences between persistent and prolonged typologies of use.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2016; 12: 46-63
- Dietary intake contributions of food and beverages by source and food security status in US adults.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49: 667-673.e661
- Definitions of food security.https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/definitions-of-food-security.aspxDate accessed: October 18, 2018
- Daily dietary intake patterns improve after visiting a food pantry among food-insecure rural Midwestern adults.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 583
- Voices for food: Methodologies for implementing a multi-state community-based intervention in rural, high poverty communities.BMC Public Health. 2018; 18: 1055
- Food-aid quality correlates positively with diet quality of food pantry users in the Leket Israel Food Bank Collaborative.Front Nutr. 2018; 5: 123
- Self-efficacy is associated with increased food security in novel food pantry program.SSM Popul Health. 2016; 2: 62-67
- Extension's role in developing "choice" food pantries in Southwest Ohio.J Extens. 2006; 44
- Spanish- and English-speaking client perceptions of choice food pantries.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2010; : 120-128
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-programDate accessed: January 24, 2020
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).https://www.fns.usda.gov/wicDate accessed: January 24, 2020
- Guide to measuring household food security.
- US Adult Food Security Survey Module: Three-stage design, with screeners. 2012.https://www.ers.usda.gov/media/8279/ad2012.pdfDate accessed: September 22, 2020
- The Automated Self-Administered 24-hour dietary recall (ASA24): A resource for researchers, clinicians, and educators from the National Cancer Institute.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1134-1137
- The provision of assistance does not substantially impact the accuracy of 24-hour dietary recalls completed using the Automated Self-Administered 24-H Dietary Assessment Tool among women with low incomes.J Nutr. 2019; 149: 114-122
- Healthy Eating Index-2010.http://riskfactor.cancer.gov/tools/heiDate accessed: January 8, 2019
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2015.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1591-1602
- The Healthy Eating Index-2010 is a valid and reliable measure of diet quality according to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 399-407
- Application of the Healthy Eating Index-2010 to the hunger relief system.Public Health Nutr. 2016; 19: 2906-2914
- What’s in the foods you eat search tool.https://reedir.arsnet.usda.gov/codesearchwebapp/(S(cbsohcqfr2zjhlylcv4ytwa5))/CodeSearch.aspxDate accessed: September 26, 2018
- FAO/INFOODS Density Database [database]. Version 2.0. FAO/INFOODS, Brussels, Belgium2012
- Food Patterns Equivalents Database: Databases and SAS Data Sets. [database].https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/beltsville-md-bhnrc/beltsville-human-nutrition-research-center/food-surveys-research-group/docs/fped-databases/Date accessed: September 26, 2018
- Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies: FNDDS Documentation and Databases.https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/beltsville-md-bhnrc/beltsville-human-nutrition-research-center/food-surveys-research-group/docs/fndds-download-databases/Date accessed: September 26, 2018
- Healthy Eating Index SAS Code.https://epi.grants.cancer.gov/hei/sas-code.htmlDate accessed: November 22, 2019
SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc; 2013.
- HEI-2010 total and component scores for children, adults, and older adults during 2011-2012.https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/healthyeatingindex/reportsDate accessed: September 1, 2018
- The availability and cost of healthier food alternatives.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 30: 38-44
- Research uses of the HEI.https://epi.grants.cancer.gov/hei/uses.htmlDate accessed: September 1, 2018
- Nutritional contributions of food pantries and other sources to the diets of rural, midwestern food pantry users in the U.S.Br J Nutr. 2020; : 1-26
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by US Department of Agriculture , National Institute of Food and Agriculture (USDA NIFA) Voices for Food (grant 2013-69004-20401 ); USDA NIFA Hatch project (grant IND030489 ); and the intramural research program of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development .