2nd ed. Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative website. 2018.
2nd ed. Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative website. 2018.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Hospital nutrition care betters patient clinical outcomes and reduces costs: The malnutrition quality improvement initiative story.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: S11-S14
- 2nd ed. Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative website. 2018.
- Non-maternal and non-neonatal inpatient stays in the United States involving malnutrition, 2016. U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2018.www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports.jspDate accessed: February 13, 2020
- Malnutrition diagnosis during adult inpatient hospitalizations: Analysis of a multiinstitutional collaborative database of academic medical centers.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 125-131
- Consensus Statement of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics/American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition: Characteristics recommended for the identification and documentation of adult malnutrition (Undernutrition).J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 730-738
- Consensus statement of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics/American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition: Indicators recommended for the identification and documentation of pediatric malnutrition (undernutrition).J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1988-2000
- Identifying malnutrition in preterm and neonatal populations: Recommended indicators.JAND. 2018; 118: 1571-1582
- Characterizing and communicating malnutrition of hospitalized pediatric patients: A nuanced challenge for nutrition professionals.Support Line. 2017; 39: 17-23
Weiss AJ, Fingar KR, Barrett ML, et al. Characteristics of hospital stays involving malnutrition, 2013. HCUP Statistical Brief #210. In: Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs [Internet]. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2006 Feb–. PMID: 27854406.
- Malnutrition diagnoses in hospitalized patients: United States, 2010.JPEN. 2014; 38: 186-195
- Malnutrition among hospitalized children in the United States: Changing prevalence, clinical correlates, and practice patterns between 2002 and 2011.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 40-51
- Malnutrition increase the risk of 30-day complications after surgery in pediatric patients with Crohn disease.J Pediatr Surg. 2018; 53: 2336-2345
- The effect of malnutrition on the risk of unplanned 7-day readmission in pediatrics.Hosppeds. 2018; 8: 207-212
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Quality measures for malnutrition.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 1541-1544
- The malnutrition quality improvement initiative: a multiyear partnership transforms care.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: S18-S24
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. 2019.https://www.eatrightpro.org/news-center/in-practice/quality-and-coverage/cms-approves-inclusion-of-malnutrition-quality-measuresDate accessed: February 16, 2020
- Quality improvement as the foundation for health care advancement.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: S15-S17
- The Evidence Analysis Library of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.https://www.andeal.org/ncpDate accessed: February 13, 2020
- ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03928548. Clinical Trials website. 2019.https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03928548Date accessed: February 13, 2020
- Current practices using pediatric malnutrition indicators: A survey of dietitians working in pediatrics.Nutr Clin Pract. 2020; 35: 1080-1086
- Nutrition-focused physical examination in pediatric patients.Nutr Clin Pract. 2015; 30: 203-209
- http://malnutrition.com/static/pdf/mqii-readiness-questionnaire.pdfDate accessed: February 16, 2020
- Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative website. 2016.http://malnutrition.com/static/pdf/mqii-principles-and-models-of-quality-improvement.pdfDate accessed: February 16, 2020
- Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative website.http://malnutritionquality.org/static/pdf/mqii-project-teams-and-workflow-mapping-presentation.pdfDate accessed: February 13, 2020
- Nutrition care process and model part I: The 2008 update.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1113-1117
- Differentiating malnutrition screening and assessment: A nutrition care process perspective.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 824-828
- Nutrition Screening Pediatrics. 2018.https://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?menu1/45767Date accessed: February 13, 2020
- Validity and reliability of pediatric nutrition screening tools for hospital, outpatient, and community settings: A 2018 evidence analysis center systematic review.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2020; 120: 288-318
- Subjective Global Nutritional Assessment for children.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 85: 1083-1089
- Implementation of an automated pediatric malnutrition screen using anthropometric measurements in the electronic health record.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 1243-1249
- The development and evaluation of the Screening Tool for the Assessment of Malnutrition in Paediatrics (STAMP!) for use by healthcare staff.J Human Nutr Diet. 2012; 25: 311-318
- The STRONGkids nutritional screening tool in hospitalized children: a validation study.Nutrition. 2013; 26: 1356-1361
- Performance of the novel Paediatric Yorkhill Malnutrition Score (PYMS) in hospital practice.Clin Nutr. 2011; 30: 430-435
- Simple nutrition screening tool for pediatric inpatients.J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2016; 40: 392-398
- Nutrition screening tools.J Parenteral Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36: 292-298
- Subjective global nutritional assessment in critically ill children.J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013; 37: 659-666
- Validation of a subjective global assessment questionnaire.Jornal de pediatria. 2015; 91: 596-602
- Assessment of malnutrition risk in Canadian pediatric hospitals: A multicenter prospective cohort study.Pediatrics. 2019; 205: 160-167
- Defining pediatric malnutrition: A paradigm shift toward etiology-related definitions.J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013; 37: 460-481
- Diagnosing pediatric malnutrition: Paradigm shifts of etiology-related definitions and appraisal of the indicators.Nutr Clin Pract. 2017; 32: 52-67
- Protein energy wasting in children with chronic kidney disease.Pediatr Nephrol. 2014; 29: 1231-1238
- M-Tool Michigan’s malnutrition diagnostic tool.Infant Child Adolesc Nutr. 2014; 6: 60-61
- Texas Children’s Hospital Pediatric Nutrition Reference Guide. 12th ed. Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston2019
- Accurate documentation of malnutrition diagnosis reflects increased healthcare resource utilization.Nutr Clin Pract. 2015; 30: 604-608
- APR-DRGs in the Medicaid population.For the Record. 2013; 25: 6
- A clinician’s guide to defining, identifying, and documenting malnutrition in hospitalized patients.Pract Gastroenterol. 2017; 169: 26-33
- Granting order writing privileges to RDNs can decrease costs in acute care hospitals.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 840-847
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. 2019.https://www.eatrightpro.org/advocacy/licensure/therapeutic-diet-ordersDate accessed: February 13, 2020
- Avalere website. 2018.https://avalere.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/MQC_Malnutrition-Transitions-of-Care-Dialogue-Process-v23_singlepages.pdfDate accessed: May 6, 2020
Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Revisions to requirements for discharge planning for hospitals, critical access hospitals, and home health agencies, and hospital and critical access hospital changes to promote innovation, flexibility, and improvement in patient care. Federal Register. 2019. https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2019-20732. Accessed October 20, 2020.
Record of Care, Treatment and Services RC.02.04.01. Comprehensive Accreditation Manual for Hospitals (CAMH): The Official Handbook. Oakbrook Terrace, IL: Joint Commission Resources; January 1, 2020.
- MQii Tools and Resources. Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative website.http://malnutritionquality.org/resources.htmlDate accessed: February 13, 2020
- Available for download at MQii Tools and Resources. Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative website.http://malnutritionquality.org/resources.htmlDate accessed: February 13, 2020
- Malnutrition quality improvement initiative yields value for interdisciplinary patient care and clinical nutrition practice.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: S1-S72
W. Phillips, MS, RD, CD, CNSC, CLE, NWCC, FAND, is a Regional Vice President, Morrison Healthcare, St. George, UT. P. J. Becker, MS, RDN, CSP, FAND, is a pediatric/neonatal nutrition specialist—RDIII, Dayton Children’s Hospital, Dayton, OH. M. Wong Vega, MS, RD, is a senior pediatric clinical dietitian, Texas Children's Hospital, Houston, TX. E. Smith, MA, RD, LDN, is an inpatient clinical nutrition manager, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. S. Konek, MA, RDN, CSP, LD, FAND, is a partner, Pediatric Nutrition Partners, LLC, Oakwood, OH. J. Bailer RD-AP, LDN, Registered Dietitian III, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia PA. J. Carvalho-Salemi, MPH, RDN, LD, CNSC, is a senior dietitian, Department of Renal and Pheresis Services, Texas Children's Hospital, Houston, TX.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS All authors developed the project, and each author wrote one or more section(s) of the article. All authors reviewed, commented on, and edited every draft of the article.