Main outcome measures
Statistical analysis performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2018 U.S. MRE procurement.in: Smith J. McClung H. Defense Logisitics Agency; Troop Support. 2019
- Military Food Engineering and Ration Technology.DEStech Publications, Inc, Lancaster, PA2012
- Army Regulation 40-25, Nutrition and Menu Standards for Human Performance Optimization.Medical Services, Washington, DC2017: 1-25
- 2015-2 020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans 8th edition.US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2015: 1-144
- Revision of sole source Meal, Ready-to-Eat Policy - Action Memorandum.1995 (Falls Church, VA)
- Nutritional Status and Physical and Mental Performance of Special Operations Soldiers Consuming the Ration, Lightweight or the Meal, Ready-to-Eat Military Field Ration during a 30-Day Field Training Exercise.US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Natick, MA1987
- Nutrient Intakes and Nutritional Status of Soldiers Consuming the Meal, Ready-to-Eat (MRE XII) during a 30-Day Field Training Exercise.US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Natick, MA1995
- Combat Rations Database.https://www.hprc-online.org/nutrition/comradDate accessed: July 2, 2020
- A diet of U.S. military food rations alters gut microbiota composition and does not increase intestinal permeability.J Nutr Biochem. 2019; 72
- Influence of days of the week on reported food, macronutrient and alcohol among an adult population in south western Finland.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1999; 53: 808-812
- A debriefing session with a nutritionist can improve dietary assessement using food diaries.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 440-445
- Monitoring energy intake: A hand-held personal digital assistant provides accuracy comparable to written records.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2009; 109: 1241-1245
- International physical activity questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003; 35: 1381-1395
- A Biometric Study of Basal Metabolism in Man.Carnegie Institution, Washington, DC1919
- Ability of Harris Benedict formula to predict energy requirements differs with weight history and ethnicity.Nutr Res. 2007; 27: 194-199
- Food Processor [computer program]. Version 11.0. ESHA, Salem, OR2015
- Controversy and debate: Memory-Based Methods Paper 1: The fatal flaws of food frequency questionnaires and other memory-based dietary assessment methods.J Clin Epidemiol. 2018; 104: 113-124
- Self-report-based estimates of energy intake offer an inadequate basis for scientific conclusions.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 97: 1413-1415
- Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International. 21st ed. AOAC International, Rockville, MD2014
- Nutritional Standards and Education.Medical Services, Washington, DC2001: 1-22
- Association between single gene polymorphisms and bone biomarkers and response to calcium and vitamin D supplementation in young adults undergoing military training.J Bone Miner Res. 2017; 32: 498-507
- A prospective field study of U.S. Army trainees to identify the physiological bases and key factors influencing musculoskeletal injuries: A study protocol.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019; 20: 282
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of an iron-fortified food product in female soldiers during military training: Relations between iron status, serum hepcidin, and inflammation.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 93-100
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of iron supplementation in female soldiers during military training: Effects on iron status, physical performance and mood.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 124-131
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- SPSS Statistics for Windows [computer program]. Version 24.0. IBM Corp, Armonk, NY2016
- Minerals: Nutrition and Metabolism.Vantage Press, New York, NY1999
- Overview of dietary intakes during military exercises.in: Marriott B. Not Eating Enough: Overcoming Underconsumption of Military Operational Rations. National Academies Press, Washington, DC1995: 121-149
- Energy requirements of military personnel.Appetite. 2005; 44: 47-65
- Threshold of energy deficit and lower-body performance declines in military personnel: A meta-regression.Sports Med. 2018; 48: 2169-2178
- Carbohydrates for training and competition.J Sports Sci. 2011; 29: S17-S27
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and athletic performance.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 501-528
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2005
- Low-grade inflammation, diet composition and health: Current research evidence and its translation.Br J Nutr. 2015; 114: 999-1012
- Effects of short-term low- and high-carbohydrate diets on postprandial metabolism in non-diabetic and diabetic subjects.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2009; 19: 345-351
- Effects of Saturated Fatty Acids on Serum Lipids and Lipoproteins: A Systematic Review and Regression Analysis.World Heatlh Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2016: 63
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Supported by the US Army Medical Research and Material Command.
Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited. The opinions or assertions contained herein are the private views of the authors and are not to be construed as official or as reflecting the views of the Army or the Department of Defense. Any citations or commercial organizations and trade names in this report do not constitute an official Department of the Army endorsement of approval of the products or services of these organizations.
This study was registered at ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT02423551.