Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- School year versus summer differences in child weight gain: A narrative review.Child Obes. 2014; 10: 18-24
- Accelerated weight gain among children during summer versus school year and related racial/ethnic disparities: A systematic review.Prev Chronic Dis. 2014; 11: 1-10
- The effect of school on overweight in childhood: Gain in body mass index during the school year and during summer vacation.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 696-702
- Obesity status trajectory groups among elementary school children.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 1-12
- Changes in weight over the school year and summer vacation: Results of a 5-year longitudinal study.J Sch Health. 2013; 83
- Understanding differences between summer vs. school obesogenic behaviors of children: The structured days hypothesis.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017; 14: 100
- Patterns in children’s fruit and vegetable consumption by meal and day of the week.J Am Coll Nutr. 1997; 16: 216-223
- Eating and activity habits of overweight children on weekdays and weekends.Int J Pediatr Obes. 2011; 6: 467-472
- Children’s dietary fat intake and fat practices vary by meal and day.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1773-1778
- School meals participation and weekday dietary quality were associated after controlling for weekend eating among U.S. school children aged 6 to 17 years.J Nutr. 2013; 143: 714-721
- Eating school lunch is associated with higher diet quality among elementary school students.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1817-1824
- Children’s obesogenic behaviors during summer versus school: A within-person comparison.J Sch Health. 2018; 88: 886-892
- Project SWEAT (Summer Weight and Environmental Assessment Trial): Study protocol of an observational study using a multistate, prospective design that examines the weight gain trajectory among a racially and ethnically diverse convenience sample of economy.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e021168
- Effectiveness of the US Department of Agriculture 5-step multiple-pass method in assessing food intake in obese and nonobese women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 77: 1171-1178
- Accuracy of dietary recall using the USDA five-step multiple-pass method in men: an observational validation study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 595-603
- A systematic review of the validity of dietary assessment methods in children when compared with the method of doubly labeled water.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1501-1510
- Accuracy of fourth-graders’ dietary recalls of school breakfast and school lunch validated with observations: In-person versus telephone interviews.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2003; 35: 124-134
- Fourth-grade children’s dietary recall accuracy is influenced by retention interval (target period and interview time).J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 846-856
- In-person vs telephone-administered multiple-pass 24-hour recalls in women.J Am Diet Assoc. 2000; 100: 777-783
- Evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2015.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1622-1633
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2015.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1591-1602
US Department of Health and Human Services and US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC: 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th ed.
- The state of summer: a review of child summer weight gain and efforts to prevent it.Curr Obes Rep. 2018; 7: 112-121
- Hunger doesn’t take a vacation: Summer nutrition status report.Food Res Action Cent. 2018; : 1-19
- Diet quality and fruit, vegetable, and sugar-sweetened beverage consumption by household food insecurity among 8- to 12-year-old children during summer months.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 1695-1702
- Securing a stop to the summer setback: Policy considerations in the future expansion of the summer electronic benefit transfer for children.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49
- Seasonal variability in weight change during elementary school.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015; 23: 422-428
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT US Department of Agriculture North Central Nutrition Education Center for Excellence; Clinical Trial Registration: NCT03010644, https://clinicaltrials.gov.