Design and participants
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Feasibility outcomes of a pilot randomized clinical trial to increase cruciferous and green leafy vegetable intake in posttreatment head and neck cancer survivors.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 659-671
- Nutrition impact symptoms and associated outcomes in post-chemoradiotherapy head and neck cancer survivors: A systematic review.J Cancer Surviv. 2018; 12: 479-494
- Initial results of a multicenter phase 2 trial of stereotactic ablative radiation therapy for oligometastatic cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019; 103: 116-122
- The changed meaning of food: Physical, social and emotional loss for patients having received radiation treatment for head and neck cancer.Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2011; 15: 145-151
- The eating experience in long-term survivors of head and neck cancer: A mixed-methods study.Support Care Cancer. 2015; 23: 3257-3268
- The M. D. Anderson symptom inventory-head and neck module, a patient-reported outcome instrument, accurately predicts the severity of radiation-induced mucositis.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 72: 1355-1361
- The eating experience after treatment for head and neck cancer: A review of the literature.Oral Oncol. 2015; 51: 634-642
- The life experience of nutrition impact symptoms during treatment for head and neck cancer patients: A systematic review and meta-synthesis.Support Care Cancer. 2017; 25: 1699-1712
- Pretreatment dietary patterns are associated with the presence of nutrition impact symptoms 1 year after diagnosis in patients with head and neck cancer.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2019; 28: 1652-1659
- Symptom experience and regaining normality in the first year following a diagnosis of head and neck cancer: A qualitative longitudinal study.Palliat Support Care. 2012; 10: 197-204
- Lived experiences of eating problems for patients with head and neck cancer during radiotherapy.J Clin Nurs. 2003; 12: 562-570
- Head and neck cancer patients' perceptions of swallowing following chemoradiotherapy.Support Care Cancer. 2015; 23: 3531-3538
- The lived experience of dysphagia following non-surgical treatment for head and neck cancer.Int J Speech Lang Pathol. 2014; 16: 282-289
- To eat is to practice-managing eating problems after head and neck cancer.J Cancer Surviv. 2019; 13: 792-803
- Questionnaire Design, Interviewing and Attitude Measurement.Bloomsbury Academic, New York1992
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual Res Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101
- The experience of food, eating and meals following radiotherapy for head and neck cancer: A qualitative study.J Clin Nurs. 2013; 22: 1034-1043
- Pretreatment serum xanthophyll concentrations as predictors of head and neck cancer recurrence and survival.Head Neck. 2016; 38: E1591-E1597
- Pretreatment dietary patterns, weight status, and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma prognosis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 97: 360-368
- Fruit and vegetable intake and head and neck cancer risk in a large United States prospective cohort study.Int J Cancer. 2008; 122: 2330-2336
- Association between fruit and vegetable consumption and oral cancer: A meta-analysis of observational studies.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 83: 1126-1134
- Diet and proinflammatory cytokine levels in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Cancer. 2014; 120: 2704-2712
- Information service in head and neck cancer care—A qualitative study.Support Care Cancer. 2018; 26: 91-98
- Living an everyday life with head and neck cancer 2-2.5 years post-diagnosis—A qualitative prospective study of 56 patients.Soc Sci Med. 2016; 154: 54-61
- Head and neck cancer survivors' preferences for and evaluations of a post-treatment dietary intervention.Nutr J. 2019; 18: 57
- NCCN Guidelines Insights: Head and Neck Cancers, Version 2.2017.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2017; 15: 761-770
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was supported by an Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Colgate Palmolive Fellowship in Nutrition and Oral Health, US Department of Agriculture, National Institute of Food and Agriculture, Hatch project 1011487, a Division of Nutritional Sciences Vision 20/20 grant, and a Carle-Illinois Cancer Scholars for Translational and Applied Research Fellowship. S. L. Crowder was supported by the Carle Illinois Cancer Scholars for Translational and Applied Research Fellowship.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS S. L. Crowder, K. P. Sarma, and A. E. Arthur designed the astudy. S. L. Crowder and A. E. Arthur contributed to the development of the topic guide. S. L. Crowder conducted the study. S. L. Crowder and N. Najam performed data analysis. S. L. Crowder wrote the first draft of the manuscript with contributions from all authors. All authors reviewed and commented on subsequent drafts of the manuscript.