Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Labeling & nutrition - FDA nutrition innovation strategy.Published 2018. Revised June 18, 2019. Accessed June 18, 2019)
- National Salt Reduction Initiative: Packaged and restaurant food.https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/health-topics/national-salt-reduction-initiative-packaged-food.page(Published 2009. Accessed April 1, 2019)
- Strategies to Reduce Sodium Intake in the United States.National Academies Press of the National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC2010
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Sodium and Potassium.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2019
- Sources of sodium in US adults from 3 geographic regions.Circulation. 2017; 135: 1775-1783
- Nielson newswire: U.S. healthy eating trends part 1: Commitment trumps the economic pinch.http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2010/healthy-eating-trends-pt-1-commitment-trumps-the-economic-pinch.html(Published January 26, 2010. Accessed February 2, 2019)
- Nielson insights: Don’t pass the salt: Some Americans cutting back as FDA suggests new sodium guidance.http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2016/dont-pass-the-salt-some-americans-cutting-back-as-fda-suggests-sodium-guidance.html(Published June 16, 2016. Accessed April 1, 2019)
- Examining the nutritional quality of Canadian packaged foods and beverages with and without nutrition claims.Nutrients. 2018; 10
- The nutritional quality of foods carrying health-related claims in Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, Slovenia and the United Kingdom.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2016; 70: 1388-1395
- Sodium-reduced meat and poultry products contain a significant amount of potassium from food additives.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 878-885
- WASH-world action on salt and health.Kidney Int. 2010; 78: 745-753
- Reducing sodium in foods: The effect on flavor.Nutrients. 2011; 3: 694-711
- What We Eat in America food categories 2013-2014)Published 2015. Updated July 31, 2018. Accessed June 17, 2019) (
- Consumer acceptance of reformulated food products: A systematic review and meta-analysis of salt-reduced foods.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2017; 57: 3357-3372
- Sodium intake among persons aged ≥2 years— United States, 2013-2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66 (324-238)
- US Dept of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. Title 21, Part 101, Subpart D: Specific requirements for nutrient content claims.Published April 1, 2018. Accessed March 15, 2019)
- US Dept of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. Title 21, Part 101, Subpart D: Specific requirements for nutrient content claims. Nutrient content claims for the sodium content of foods.Published April 1, 2018. Accessed April 1, 2019)
- A Food Labeling Guide: Guidance for Industry. US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, College Park, MD2013
- The stealth sodium revolution.Agricultural Res. 2012; 60: 22
- The safety of sodium reduction in the food supply: A cross-discipline balancing act—workshop proceedings.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2018; 58: 1650-1659
- Potential use of salt substitutes to reduce blood pressure.J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2019; 21: 350-354
- Changes to the Nutrition Facts label.Published February 8, 2019. Accessed June 17, 2019)
- A Guide to Federal Food Labeling Requirements for Meat, Poultry, and Egg Products. The Labeling and Consumer Protection Staff, Office of Policy, Program, and Employee Development, Food Safety and Inspection Service, Washington, DC2007
- Guidance for industry: Guide for developing and using data bases for nutrition labeling.https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/guidance-industry-guide-developing-and-using-data-bases-nutrition-labeling#how(Published March, 1998. Accessed July 9, 2019)
- Comparison of label and laboratory sodium values in popular sodium-contributing foods in the United States.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 293-300
- Are gluten-free foods healthier than non-gluten-free foods? An evaluation of supermarket products in Australia.Br J Nutr. 2015; 114: 448-454
- Do lower calorie or lower fat foods have more sodium than their regular counterparts?.Nutrients. 2016; 8
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This project was supported by an appointment to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention administered by the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education through an agreement between the Department of Energy and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS M. Bates collected the data and wrote the first draft of the manuscript with revisions from M. E. Cogswell. M. Bates completed the analysis with contributions from C. Gillespie and J. P. Gunn. All authors reviewed and commented on additional manuscript drafts.