Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994. Public Law 103-417. 103rd Congress.Approved October 25, 1994. Accessed May 29, 2019)
- What health care professionals should know about the regulation and safety of dietary supplements.J Am Coll Nutr. 2017; 36: 306-309
- Structure/Function Claims.Published December 14, 2017. Accessed February 19, 2019)
- Why US adults use dietary supplements.JAMA. 2013; 173: 355
- Consumer usage and reasons for using dietary supplements: Report of a series of surveys.J Am Coll Nutr. 2014; 33: 176-182
- 2018 CRN consumer survey on dietary supplements: New data reaffirm trust and confidence in industry, reveal modern trends and habits of American consumers.Accessed May 29, 2019)
- The impact of dietary supplement form and dosage on perceived efficacy.J Consum Mark. 2018; 35: 228-238
- Dietary supplement research portfolio at the NIH, 2009–2011.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 414-418
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Complementary, Alternative, or Integrative Health: What’s in a Name?.Last modified April 2, 2019. Accessed May 29, 2019)
- Mortality in the United States, 2016. NCHS Data Brief, no 293.National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2017
World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research. Diet, Nutrition, Physical Activity and Cancer: a Global Perspective. Continuous Update Project Expert Report 2018. dietandcancerreport.org. Accessed October 3, 2019.
- ACS Guidelines for Nutrition and Physical Activity.https://www.cancer.org/healthy/eat-healthy-get-active/acs-guidelines-nutrition-physical-activity-cancer-prevention.html(Published January 11, 2012. Last modified April 13, 2017. Accessed October 3, 2019)
- Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change.Psychol Rev. 1977; 84: 191
- Theory of planned behavior and multivitamin supplement use in Caucasian college females.J Prim Prev. 2008; 29: 57-71
- Predictors of nutrition supplement use in the elderly. Part II: The role of beliefs, attitude, subjective norm and intention.J Nutr Eld. 1989; 8: 15-33
- Factors related to the use of dietary supplements by cancer survivors.J Altern Complement Med. 2009; 15: 673-680
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine by cancer patients is not associated with perceived distress or poor compliance with standard treatment but with active coping behavior: A survey.Cancer. 2000; 89: 873-880
- Cancer information sources used by patients to inform and influence treatment decisions.J Health Commun. 2010; 15: 445-463
- Communication and uncertainty management.J Commun. 2001; 51: 477-497
- Education differences in cancer fatalism: The role of information-seeking experiences.J Health Pyschol. 2018; 23: 1533-1544
- Rationale, procedures, and response rates for the 2015 administration of NCI’s Health Information National Trends Survey: HINTS-FDA 2015.J Health Commun. 2016; 21: 1269-1275
- Item development and performance of tobacco product and regulation perception items for the Health Information National Trends Survey.Nicotine Tob Res. 2019; 21: 1565-1572
Westat, 2015. Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS 4): HINTS-FDA Methodology Report. https://hints.cancer.gov/docs/instruments/HINTS-FDA_Methodology_Report.pdf. Published December 2015. Accessed October 2018.
- Fatalistic cancer beliefs and information sources among rural and urban adults in the USA.J Cancer Educ. 2013; 28: 521-526
IBM SPSS Statistics (for Windows) [computer program]. Version 21.0. Armonk, NY: IBM Corp; 2012.
- Use of dietary supplements at a comprehensive cancer center.J Altern Complement Med. 2018; 24: 981-987
- Dietary supplement use in a large, representative sample of the US Armed Forces.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1370-1388
- Dietary supplement users vary in attitudes and sources of dietary supplement information in East and West geographic regions: A cross-sectional study.BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013; 1: 200
- Disclosure of CAM use to medical practitioners: A review of qualitative and quantitative studies.Complement Ther Med. 2004; : 90-98
- Use of dietary supplements for weight loss in the United States: Results of a national survey.Obesity. 2008; 6: 790-796
- What makes consumers think dietary supplements are safe and effective? The role of disclaimers and FDA approval.Health Psychol. 2007; 26: 513
- Physicians’ understanding of the regulation of dietary supplements.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 9: 966-969
- Influence of the dietary supplement health and education act on consumer beliefs about the safety and effectiveness of dietary supplements.J Health Commun. 2011; 16: 230-244
- Fatalism and educational disparities in beliefs about the curability of advanced cancer.Patient Educ Couns. 2018; 101: 113-118
- Dietary supplements and cancer prevention: balancing potential benefits against proven harms.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012; 104: 732-739
- Impact of frequency of multi-vitamin/multi-mineral supplement intake on nutritional adequacy and nutrient deficiencies in US adults.Nutrients. 2017; 9: 849
- Common herbal dietary supplement-drug interactions.Am Fam Physician. 2017; 96: 101-107
- Evaluation of documented drug interactions and contraindications associated with herbs and dietary supplements: A systematic literature review.Int J Clin Pract. 2012; 66: 1056-1078
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Revised 2017 scope of practice for the registered dietitian nutritionist.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 141-165
Nathan JP, Kudadjie-Gyamfi E, Halberstam L, Wright JT. Consumers’ information-seeking behaviors on dietary supplements. Int Q Community Health Educ. Published online September 12, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272684X19874967.
- Assessing the calibration of mortality benchmarks in critical care: the Hosmer-Lemeshow test revisited.Crit Care Med. 2007; 35: 2052-2056
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.