Main outcome measurements
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- An evaluation of the prevalence of malnutrition in cancer patients attending the outpatient oncology clinic.Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2006; 2: 80-86
- Nutritional status and information needs of medical oncology patients receiving treatment at an Australian public hospital.Nutr Cancer. 2010; 62: 220-228
- Prevalence and prognostic significance of malnutrition in patients with cancers of the head and neck.Clin Nutr. 2019; (In press)
- Prevalence of malnutrition and impact on clinical outcomes in cancer services: A comparison of two time points.Clin Nutr. 2019; 38: 644-651
- Agreement on defining malnutrition.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36: 261-262
- Alterations in nutritional status.in: Pathophysiology, Concepts of Altered Health States. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2005: 217-238
- ESPEN guidelines on nutrition in cancer patients.Clin Nutr ESPEN. 2016; 36: 1-38
- Development of a valid and reliable malnutrition screening tool for adult acute hospital patients.Nutrition. 1999; 15: 458-464
- Evidence based practice guidelines for the nutritional management of malnutrition in adult patients across the continuum of care.Nutr Diet. 2009; 66: S1-S34
- Head and Neck Guideline Steering Committee. Evidence-based practice guidelines for the nutritional management of adult patients with head and neck cancer.Published April 17, 2016. Accessed December 12, 2019)
- Updated evidence-based practice guidelines for the nutritional management of patients receiving radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy.Nutr Diet. 2013; 70: 312-324
- Oncology evidence-based nutrition practice guideline for adults.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 297-310
- Provision of Care, Treatment, and Services (PC) (Critical Access Hospitals). Nutritional and functional screening requirement.https://www.jointcommission.org/standards_information/jcfaqdetails.aspx?StandardsFAQId=1604&StandardsFAQChapterId=29&ProgramId=0&ChapterId=0&IsFeatured=False&IsNew=False&Keywod=(Published 2019. Accessed September 25, 2019)
- NSQHS Standard 5 Comprehensive Care.Published 2017. Accessed September 25, 2019)
- Validation of a malnutrition screening tool for patients receiving radiotherapy.J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 1999; 43: 325-327
- Nutrition screening tools an analysis of the evidence.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36: 292-298
- Validity of the malnutrition screening tool as an effective predictor of nutritional risk in oncology outpatients receiving chemotherapy.Support Care Cancer. 2006; 14: 1152-1156
- Nutritional screening tools in daily clinical practice: The focus on cancer.Support Care Cancer. 2010; 18: 17-27
- To screen or not to screen for adult malnutrition?.Clin Nutr. 2005; 24: 867-884
- What is subjective global assessment of nutritional status?.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 1987; 11: 8-13
- EuroOOPS: An international, multicentre study to implement nutritional risk screening and evaluate clinical outcome.Clin Nutr. 2008; 27: 340-349
- Exploring issues influencing the use of the Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool by nurses in two Australian hospitals.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2009; 22: 203-209
- Barriers and facilitators to undertaking nutritional screening of patients: A systematic review.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2013; 26: 211-221
- National Safety and Quality Health Service Standard: Partnering with Consumers.Published 2019. Accessed September 25, 2019)
- Reliability of patient-led screening with the malnutrition screening tool: Agreement between patient and health care professional scores in the cancer care ambulatory setting.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1065-1071
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- STATA (for Windows) [computer program]. Version 15.1. StataCorp LLC, College Station, TX2017
- Nutritional status of patients with advanced cancer: The value of using the subjective global assessment of nutritional status as a screening tool.Palliat Med. 2002; 16: 33-42
- The malnutrition screening tool in geriatric rehabilitation: A comparison of validity when completed by health professionals with and without malnutrition screening training has implications for practice.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 118-124
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS A. Di Bella developed the protocol and wrote the manuscript. Data were collected by E. Croisier. The manuscript was written with support from C. Blake, T. Brown, and E. Croisier. Statistical analysis was completed by E. Croisier and checked by C. Blake, A. Di Bella, and A. Pelecanos. All authors were involved in the final reviews of the manuscript.