Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Section 13. Diabetes and reproductive health.in: General Practice Management of Type 2 Diabetes: 2016–18. The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia2016
- Prevalence of gestational diabetes and risk of progression to type 2 diabetes: A global perspective.Curr Diab Rep. 2016; 16: 7
- Increasing prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) over time and by birth cohort: Kaiser Permanente of Colorado GDM Screening Program.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 579-584
- Gestational diabetes and the incidence of type 2 diabetes: A systematic review.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 1862-1868
- Global report on diabetes. 2016.http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/204871Date accessed: August 19, 2019
- IDF diabetes atlas, 8th ed. 2017.http://www.diabetesatlas.orgDate accessed: August 19, 2019
- Interventions to modify the progression to type 2 diabetes mellitus in women with gestational diabetes: A systematic review of literature.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 26: 476-486
- Lifestyle interventions for type 2 diabetes prevention in women with prior gestational diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis of behavioural, anthropometric and metabolic outcomes.Prev Med Rep. 2015; 2: 448-461
- Postpartum lifestyle interventions to prevent type 2 diabetes among women with history of gestational diabetes: A systematic review of randomized clinical trials.J Womens Health. 2016; 25: 38-49
- How to prevent type 2 diabetes in women with previous gestational diabetes? A systematic review of behavioural interventions.Prim Care Diabet. 2017; 11: 403-413
- Exercise interventions for weight management during pregnancy and up to 1 year postpartum among normal weight, overweight and obese women: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Br J Sports Med. 2015; 49: 1336-1342
- Diet or exercise, or both, for weight reduction in women after childbirth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 7Cd005627
- Reasons for participation and non-participation in a diabetes prevention trial among women with prior gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM).BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014; 14: 13
- Women's challenges with postpartum weight loss.Matern Child Health J. 2011; 15: 1176-1184
- The views of first time mothers completing an intervention to reduce postpartum weight retention: A qualitative evaluation of the mums OnLiNE study.Midwifery. 2018; 56: 23-28
- Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0. 2011www.cochrane-handbook.orgDate accessed: August 19, 2019
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: Explanation and elaboration.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000100
- The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses.2009Accessed September 4, 2019)
- The influence of fasting insulin level in post-gestational diabetes mellitus women receiving low-glycaemic-index diets.Nutr Diabet. 2014; 4: e107
- Low glycaemic index diets improve glucose tolerance and body weight in women with previous history of gestational diabetes: A six months randomized trial.Nutr J. 2013; 12: 68
- Long-term risk of type 2 diabetes in relation to habitual iron intake in women with a history of gestational diabetes: a prospective cohort study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 103: 375-381
- Low carbohydrate-diet scores and long-term risk of type 2 diabetes among women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus: A prospective cohort study.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 43-49
- Healthful dietary patterns and type 2 diabetes mellitus risk among women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1566-1572
- Dietary intakes and circulating concentrations of branched-chain amino acids in relation to incident type 2 diabetes risk among high-risk women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus.Clin Chem. 2018; 64: 1203-1210
- Randomized crossover study of 40% vs. 55% carbohydrate weight loss strategies in women with previous gestational diabetes mellitus and non-diabetic women of 130-200% ideal body weight.J Am Coll Nutr. 1995; 14: 369-375
- A trial of simple versus intensified dietary modification for prevention of progression to diabetes mellitus in women with impaired glucose tolerance.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999; 39: 162-166
- A dietary exchange of common bread for tailored bread of low glycaemic index and rich in dietary fibre improved insulin economy in young women with impaired glucose tolerance.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2006; 60: 334-341
- Nutritional risk factors of early development of postpartum prediabetes and diabetes in women with gestational diabetes mellitus.Nutrition. 2011; 27: 782-788
- Associations between fruit and vegetables intake and abnormal glucose tolerance among women with prior gestational diabetes mellitus.Eur J Nutr. 2019; 58: 689-696
- Circulating linoleic acid is associated with improved glucose tolerance in women after gestational diabetes.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 1-17
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 393-403
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th edition. 2015.https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/Date accessed: August 19, 2019
- Australian dietary guidelines. 2013.https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/content/n55_australian_dietary_guidelines.pdfDate accessed: August 19, 2019
- Prevention or delay of type 2 diabetes. Sec. 4. In Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes - 2016.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: S36-S38
- Diet, lifestyle, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 790-797
- Improving uptake of postnatal checking of blood glucose in women who had gestational diabetes mellitus in universal healthcare settings: A systematic review.J Clin Med. 2018; 8: 1-15
- Postpartum diet quality in Australian women following a gestational diabetes pregnancy.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2012; 66: 1160-1165
- A review of the health beliefs and lifestyle behaviors of women with previous gestational diabetes.J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2009; 38: 516-526
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.
The review was registered with PROSPERO International prospective register of systematic reviews (CRD42018090887) (http://www.crd.yorkac.uk/PROPSERO).
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS E. D’Arcy, J. Rayner, and D. A. J. M. Schoenaker conducted the research. E. D’Arcy and D. A. J. M. Schoenaker analyzed the data, wrote the manuscript, and had primary responsibility for the final content of the manuscript. All authors designed the research and read and approved the final manuscript.