Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- National School Lunch—Participation and Meals Served.https://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/child-nutrition-tablesDate accessed: July 12, 2018
- Nutrition standards in the National. School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs.Fed Reg. 2012; 77
- Child nutrition programs: Flexibilities for milk, whole grains, and sodium requirements.Fed Reg. 2018; 83
- Impact of the new US Department of Agriculture school meal standards on food selection, consumption, and waste.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 46: 388-394
- New school meal regulations increase fruit consumption and do not increase total plate waste.Child Obes. 2015; 11: 242-247
- Changes in foods selected and consumed after implementation of the new National School Lunch Program meal patterns in southeast Texas.Prev Med Rep. 2015; 2: 440-443
- Long-term impact of a chef on school lunch consumption: Findings from a 2-year pilot study in Boston middle schools.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 927-933
- Effects of choice architecture and chef-enhanced meals on the selection and consumption of healthier school foods: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 431-437
- Eat your veggies: A chef-prepared, family style school lunch increases vegetable liking and consumption in elementary school students.Food Qual Prefer. 2017; 55: 8-15
- Food intake may be determined by plate waste in a retirement living center.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2002; 102: 1142-1144
- Salad bars and fruit and vegetable consumption in elementary schools: A plate waste study.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2005; 105: 1789-1792
- SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC2013
- Ag Secretary Perdue moves to make school meals great again.https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releases/2017/05/01/ag-secretary-perdue-moves-make-school-meals-great-againDate accessed: July 12, 2018
- Chocolate milk consequences: A pilot study evaluating the consequences of banning chocolate milk in school cafeterias.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e91022
- School food environments and practices affect dietary behaviors of US public school children.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2009; 109: S91-S107
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was funded by a grant from Arbella Insurance. J. F. W. Cohen is supported by grant 1K01DK107810-01A1 (Cohen) from the National Institutes of Health.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS J. F. W. Cohen, S. Richardson, and E. B. Rimm conceived the study. J. F. W. Cohen and S. Richardson supervised the study. J. F. W. Cohen completed the analyses and led the writing. S. Richardson and E. B. Rimm provided critical feedback on the manuscript.