Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Child nutrition tables.Published October 7, 2016. Accessed March 14, 2018)
- Nutrition standards in the national school lunch and school breakfast programs.Federal Register. 2012; 77: 4088-4167
- Plate waste in school nutrition programs: Final report to Congress.Published March 2002. Accessed March 14, 2018.)
- Student plate waste: Insights from school nutrition professionals.http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/q-and-a/2014/07/student-plate-wasteinsights-from-school-nutrition-professionals(Published July 10th, 2014. Accessed March 14th, 2018)
- Measuring individual plate waste in school lunches. Visual estimation and children’s ratings vs. actual weighing of plate waste.J Am Diet Assoc. 1981; 79: 290-296
- Validity and interrater reliability of the visual quarter-waste method for assessing food waste in middle school and high school cafeteria settings.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1816-1821
- Reliability and validity of digital imaging as a measure of schoolchildrens fruit and vegetable consumption.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1359-1366
- Consumption and plate waste of menu items served in the National School Lunch Program.J Am Diet Assoc. 1978; 73: 395-400
- Reliability and accuracy of real-time visualization techniques for measuring school cafeteria tray waste: Validating the quarter-waste method.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 470-474
- Plate waste in school feeding programs: individual and aggregate measures.Published December 1979. Accessed March 14, 2018)
- Elementary students’ food consumption at lunch does not meet recommended dietary allowance for energy, iron, and vitamin A.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 1060-1063
- Nutrition education in the Little Rock school lunch program.J Am Diet Assoc. 1978; 72: 389-391
- Plate waste in a school lunch. I. Over-all waste.J Am Diet Assoc. 1958; 34: 615-618
- Effect of a flavored milk option in a school lunch program.J Am Diet Assoc. 1977; 71: 35-40
- Energy and macronutrient consumption of elementary school children served modified lower fat and sodium lunches or standard higher fat and sodium lunches.J Am Coll Nutr. 1996; 15: 602-607
- Updated offer vs serve guidance for the NSLP and SBP beginning SY2015-16.Published December 24, 2015. Accessed December 9, 2018)
- Intraclass correlations: Uses in assessing rater reliability.Psychol Bull. 1979; 86: 420-428
- Correlation and agreement: Overview and clarification of competing concepts and measures.Shanghai Arch Psychiatry. 2016; 28: 115-120
- Guidelines, criteria, and rules of thumb for evaluating normed and standardized assessment instruments in psychology.Psychol Assess. 1994; 6: 284-290
SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4. Cary, NC: SAS Institute, Inc; 2012.
- School lunch waste among middle school students: Nutrients consumed and costs.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 114-121
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT A grant from Arbella Insurance funded the data collection. The current analysis had no funding or support.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS S. Richardson, J. Cohen, and E. Rimm obtained funding and designed the study. S. Richardson and J. Cohen collected the data. L. E. Chapman and L. McLeod analyzed the data. L. E. Chapman wrote the first draft with contributions from J. Cohen. All authors reviewed and commented on the subsequent drafts of the manuscript.