Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2017.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Dept of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2017
- Economic costs of diabetes in the U.S. in 2012.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1033-1046
- Excess mortality among persons with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1720-1732
- 2016 USRDS Annual Data Report: Epidemiology of Kidney Disease in the United States.National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD2016
- Longitudinal commercial claims-based cost analysis of diabetic retinopathy screening patterns.Am Health Drug Benefits. 2015; 8: 300-308
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About Underlying Cause of Death 1999–2015. CDC WONDER Database. http://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.html. Updated December 2016. Accessed January 28, 2018.
- Diabetes self-management education and training among privately insured persons with newly diagnosed diabetes—United States 2011-2012.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 1045-1049
- Shortcomings in public and private insurance coverage of diabetes self-management education and support.Popul Health Manag. 2012; 15: 144-148
- Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2018.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: S1-S159
- Nutrition therapy recommendations for the management of adults with diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 3821-3842
National Diabetes Education Program. Guiding principles for the care of people with or at risk for diabetes. 2014. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-communication-programs/ndep/health-care-professionals/guiding-principles/Pages/index.aspx. Accessed July 24, 2016.
- Diabetes self-management education and support in type 2 diabetes: A joint position statement of the American Diabetes Association, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.Diabetes Educ. 2015; 41: 417-430
American Diabetes Association. Education recognition requirements. 2015. http://professional.diabetes.org/sites/professional.diabetes.org/files/media/erp-9th-edition-recognition-requirements11-16.pdf. Accessed November 4, 2016.
- National standards for diabetes self-management education and support.Diabetes Care. 2012; 36: S100-S108
- Effectiveness of medical nutrition treatment delivered by dietitians on glycaemic outcomes and lipid profiles of Arab, Omani patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabet Med. 2012; 29: 236-244
- Structured type 1 diabetes education delivered within routine care.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 270-272
- The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 977-986
- Group based diabetes self-management education compared to routine treatment for people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. A systematic review with meta-analysis.BMC Health Serv Res. 2012; 12: 213
- How can structured self-management patient education improve outcomes in people with type 2 diabetes?.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2010; 12: 12-19
- Reducing the risks of diabetes complications through diabetes self-management education and support.Popul Health Manag. 2013; 16: 74-81
- Dietitian-coached management in combination with annual endocrinologist follow up improves global metabolic and cardiovascular health in diabetic participants after 24 months.Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012; 37: 610-620
- The effect of diabetes self-management education on body weight, glycemic control, and other metabolic markers in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.J Diabetes Res. 2014; 2014: 789761
- Diabetes self-management education for adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: A systematic review of the effect on glycemic control.Patient Educ Couns. 2015; 99: 926-943
- Evaluation of a behavior support intervention for patients with poorly controlled diabetes.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 2011-2017
- Meta-analysis of quality of life outcomes following diabetes self-management training.Diabetes Educ. 2008; 34: 815-823
- Facilitating healthy coping in patients with diabetes: A systematic review.Diabetes Educ. 2012; 39: 33-52
- REDEEM: A pragmatic trial to reduce diabetes distress.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 2551-2558
- Management of hyperglycaemia in type 2 diabetes, 2015: A patient-centred approach. Update to a Position Statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes.Diabetologia. 2015; 58: 429-442
- Medical nutrition therapy and weight loss questions for the evidence analysis library prevention of type 2 diabetes project: Systematic reviews.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1578-1611
- Nutritional intervention in patients with type 2 diabetes who are hyperglycaemic despite optimised drug treatment—Lifestyle over and above drugs in diabetes (LOADD) study: Randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2010; 341: 237
- How effective is medical nutrition therapy in diabetes care?.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 827-831
- The evidence for the effectiveness of medical nutrition therapy in diabetes management.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 608-613
- Effects of lifestyle education program for type 2 diabetes patients in clinics: A cluster randomized controlled trial.BMC Public Health. 2013; 13: 467
- Diet or diet plus physical activity versus usual care in patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: The early ACTID randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2011; 378: 129-139
- Prospective randomized controlled trial to evaluate effectiveness of registered dietitian–led diabetes management on glycemic and diet control in a primary care setting in Taiwan.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 233-239
- Outcomes monitoring of health, behavior, and quality of life after nutrition intervention in adults with type 2 diabetes.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 1805-1815
- Lifestyle weight-loss intervention outcomes in overweight and obese adults with type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1447-1463
- Nutritionist visits, diabetes classes, and hospitalization rates and charges.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 655-660
- Effect of an intensive lifestyle intervention on glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes.JAMA. 2017; 318: 637
- Diabetes self-management education and medical nutrition therapy improve patient outcomes: A pilot study documenting the efficacy of registered dietitian nutritionist interventions through retrospective chart review.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1254-1263
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Medicare's coverage of diabetes supplies and services. Washington, DC: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services; 2016. https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11022-Medicare-Diabetes-Coverage.pdf. Accessed January 12, 2016.
- Diabetes self-management education/training reimbursement toolkit.Delmarva Foundation for Medical Care, Denver, CO2015https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DC_CD_Diabetes-Medicaid-DSME-Reimbursement-Toolkit.pdf(Accessed January 24, 2016)
Trust for America’s Health. The state of obesity: Better policies for a healthier America. 2015. http://healthyamericans.org/report/115. Accessed November 15, 2016.
- National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2017.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2017
- Telehealth improves diabetes self-management in an underserved community: Diabetes telecare.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1712-1717
- Obesity management for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: S47-S51
- Tight blood pressure control and risk of macrovascular and microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes: UKPDS 38.Br Med J. 1998; 317: 703-713
- The evidence for medical nutrition therapy for type 1 and type 2 diabetes in adults.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1852-1889
- Impact of reinforcement of diabetes self-care on poorly controlled diabetes: A randomized controlled trial.Diabetes Educ. 2014; 39: 504-514
- Confronting disparities in diabetes care: The clinical effectiveness of redesigning care management for minority patients in rural primary care practices.J Rural Health. 2005; 21: 317-321
- Short and long-term outcomes from a multisession diabetes education program targeting low-income minority patients: A six-month follow up.Clin Ther. 2013; 35: A43-A53
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of a community health worker intervention for low-income Hispanic adults with diabetes.Prev Chronic Dis. 2012; 9: E140
- Improving life expectancy and decreasing the incidence of complications associated with type 2 diabetes: A modelling study of HbA1c targets.Int J Clin Pract. 2006; 60: 1138-1145
- Cost-effectiveness of medical nutrition therapy provided by dietitians for persons with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95: 1018-1024
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP). Emerging practices in diabetes prevention and control: Medicaid coverage for diabetes self-management education. 2015. https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pdfs/programs/stateandlocal/emerging_practices-dsme.pdf. Accessed January 18, 2016.
- Diabetes self-management training program in a community clinic improves patient outcomes at modest cost.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 807-810
- Glycemic control and diabetes-related health care costs in type 2 diabetes; retrospective analysis based on clinical and administrative databases.Clin Outcomes Res. 2013; 5: 193-201
- Relationship of glycemic control to total diabetes-related costs for managed care health plan members with type 2 diabetes.J Manag Care Pharm. 2005; 11: 559-564
- Diabetes dyslipidemia.Diabetes Ther. 2016; 7: 203-219
- Pathophysiology of diabetic dyslipidemia: Where are we?.Diabetologia. 2015; 58: 886-899
- High ratio of triglycerides to HDL-cholesterol predicts extensive coronary disease.Clinics. 2008; 63: 427-432
- Triglyceride-to-high-density-lipoprotein-cholesterol ratio is an index of heart disease mortality and of incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in men.J Investig Med. 2014; 62: 345-349
- Triglycerides and HDL cholesterol: Stars or second leads in diabetes?.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: S373-S377
- Changes in dietary habits and their association with metabolic markers after a non-intensive, community-based lifestyle intervention to prevent type 2 diabetes, in Greece.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012; 95: 207-214
- Cost-effectiveness of interventions to prevent and control diabetes mellitus: A systematic review.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1872-1894
- Feasibility and efficacy of menu planning combined with individual counselling to improve health outcomes and dietary adherence in people with type 2 diabetes: A pilot study.Can J Diabetes. 2014; 38: 320-325
- Long-term Effects of a lifestyle intervention on weight and cardiovascular risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1566-1575
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Data Chart—Healthy People 2020. https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/data/Chart/4111?category=1&by=Total&fips=0. Published 2010. Accessed February 4, 2017.
- Barriers to care in patients with diabetes and poor glycemic control—A cross-sectional survey.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0176135
- The impact of diabetes counseling and education: Clinical and cost outcomes from a large population of US managed care patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Educ. 2013; : 523-531
- Assessing the value of the diabetes educator.Diabetes Educ. 2011; 37: 638-657
- Time to give nutrition interventions a higher profile: Cost-effectiveness of 10 nutrition interventions.Health Promot Int. 2007; 22: 271-283
- Costs and benefits associated with diabetes education: A review of the literature.Diabetes Educ. 2009; 35: 72-96
Noble AA. Diabetes: Addressing the costs 50-state budget survey for FY 2014. 2015. http://www.ncsl.org/documents/health/2014_DIABETES-Web2.pdf. Accessed January 18, 2017.
- Diabetes self-management education improves quality of care and clinical outcomes determined by a diabetes bundle measure.J Multidiscip Healthc. 2014; 7: 533-542
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Funding was provided by Auburn University , Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grant , Office of University Outreach and Alabama Dietetic Association (dissemination only).