Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Global, regional, and national age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990-2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2015; 385: 117-171
- Cause-specific mortality for 240 causes in China during 1990-2013: A systematic subnational analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2016; 387: 251-272
- Cancer statistics in China, 2015.CA Cancer J Clin. 2016; 66: 115-132
- Reactive oxygen species (ROS) and cancer: Role of antioxidative nutraceuticals.Cancer Lett. 2017; 387: 95-105
- Oxidative stress and oxidative damage in chemical carcinogenesis.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011; 254: 86-99
- Protective role of vitamin E in biological systems.Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 53: S1050-S1055
- Serum vitamin E level in patients with breast cancer.J Clin Pharm Ther. 1995; 20: 173-178
- Plasma levels of antioxidant beta-carotene and alpha-tocopherol in uterine cervix dysplasias and cancer.Nutr Cancer. 1991; 15: 13-20
- Serum antioxidant vitamins and risk of lung and stomach cancers in Shenyang, China.Cancer Lett. 1998; 129: 145-149
- Serum antioxidative vitamin levels and lipid peroxidation in gastric carcinoma patients.Cancer Lett. 1999; 136: 89-93
- Prediction of male cancer mortality by plasma levels of interacting vitamins: 17-year follow-up of the prospective Basel study.Int J Cancer. 1996; 66: 145-150
- Relation of serum vitamins A and E and carotenoids to the risk of cancer.N Engl J Med. 1984; 310: 430-434
- Serum levels of folate, lycopene, β-carotene, retinol and vitamin E and prostate cancer risk.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2010; 64: 1235-1238
- Nutrition intervention trials in Linxian, China: Supplementation with specific vitamin/mineral combinations, cancer incidence, and disease-specific mortality in the general population.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1993; 85: 1483-1492
- Effects of alpha-tocopheroal and beta-carotene supplementation on gastric cancer incidence in male smokers (ATBC Study, Finland).Cancer Causes Control. 2002; 13: 617-623
- Colorectal cancer protective effects and the dietary micronutrients folate, methionine, vitamins B6, B12, C, E, selenium, and lycopene.Nutr Cancer. 2006; 56: 11-21
- Effects of vitamin E and selenium on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in colon of methylazoxymethanol treated rats.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2000; 38: 1051-1053
- Efficacy of folic acid therapy in primary prevention of stroke among adults with hypertension in China: The CSPPT randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2015; 313: 1325-1335
- Effect of folic acid supplementation on cancer risk among adults with hypertension in China: A randomized clinical trial.Int J Cancer. 2017; 141: 837-847
- R Development Core Team, 2017
- [computer program]. Version 2.18.07.BSN: X&Y Solutions, Inc, 2017
- Prospective study of serum vitamin E levels and esophageal and gastric cancers.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003; 95: 1414-1416
- Serum vitamin E and risk of cancer among Finnish men during a 10-year follow-up.Am J Epidemiol. 1988; 127: 28-41
- Effect of selenium and vitamin E on risk of prostate cancer and other cancers: The Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT).JAMA. 2009; 301: 39-51
- The importance of selenium to human health.Lancet. 2000; 356: 233-241
- From selenium to selenoproteins: Synthesis, identity, and their role in human health.Antioxid Redox Signal. 2007; 9: 775-806
- Vitamin E and vitamin C supplementation improves antioxidant status and immune function in oxidative-stressed breeder roosters by up-regulating expression of GSH-Px gene.Poult Sci. 2018; 97: 1238-1244
- Ameliorative effect of vitamin E and selenium against oxidative stress induced by sodium azide in liver, kidney, testis and heart of male mice.Biomed Pharmacother. 2017; 91: 602-610
- Synergistic effect of vitamin E and selenium in human prostate cancer cell lines.Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2004; 7: 54-56
- Plasma tocopherols and risk of prostate cancer in the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT).Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2014; 7: 886-895
- Vitamin E and cancer prevention.Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 53: S283-S286
- Vitamin E inhibits apoptosis, DNA modification, and cancer incidence induced by iron-mediated peroxidation in Wistar rat kidney.Cancer Res. 1997; 57: 2410-2414
- Antioxidant supplementation decreases oxidative DNA damage in human lymphocytes.Cancer Res. 1996; 56: 1291-1295
- The gastrointestinal tract: A major site of antioxidant action?.Free Radic Res. 2000; 33: 819-830
- Diet in the epidemiology of gastric cancer.Nutr Cancer. 1990; 13: 19-34
- Increased vitamin E intake restores fish-oil-induced suppressed blastogenesis of mitogen-stimulated T lymphocytes.Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 54: 896-902
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST X. Xu reports grants from the Beijing Advanced Innovation Center for Food Nutrition and Human Health, College of Food Science and Nutritional Engineering, China Agricultural University, Beijing; the Science and Technology Planning Project of Guangzhou, China; the Science, Technology and Innovation Committee of Shenzhen. X. Qin reports grants from the Projects of the National Natural Science Foundation; the President Foundation of Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University; and the Outstanding Youths Development Scheme of Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University. Y. Huo reports grants from National Key Research and Development Program. No potential conflict of interest was reported by the remaining authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by the National Key Research and Development Program (2016YFC0903101, 2016YFC0904900, 2016YFE0205400), the Projects of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81473052 and 81402735); the Science and Technology Planning Project of Guangzhou, China (201707020010); the Science, Technology and Innovation Committee of Shenzhen (KQCX20120816105958775, JSGG20160229173428526, JSGG20170412155639040, GJHS20170314114526143, KC2014JSCX0071A); the President Foundation of Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University (2017C007), the Outstanding Youths Development Scheme of Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University (2017J009).
The CSPPT was registered with ClinicalTrials.gov (ID NCT00794885).
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS X. Xu and X. Qin contributed to conceived the study and funding acquisition. J. Wang and H. Guo contributed to the data collection, statistical analyses, and original drafting of the manuscript. All authors reviewed and commented on subsequent drafts of the manuscript.