Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- How to prescribe parenteral nutrition therapy.in: Ayers P. Guenter P. Holcombe B. Plogsted S. ASPEN Parenteral Nutrition Handbook. 2nd ed. American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Silver Spring, MD2014: 111-134
National Inpatient Sample (NIS) of the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov/. Accessed December 10, 2015.
Institute for Safe Medication Practices. 2016-2017 Medication Safety Best Practices for Hospitals. http://www.ismp.org/tools/bestpractices/TMSBP-for-Hospitals.pdf. Accessed January 23, 2017.
- When is parenteral nutrition appropriate?.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2017; 41: 324-377
- A parenteral nutrition use survey with gap analysis.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013; 37: 212-222
- ASPEN parenteral nutrition safety consensus recommendations.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2014; 38: 296-333
- ASPEN clinical guidelines: Parenteral nutrition ordering, order review, compounding, labeling, and dispensing.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2014; 38: 334-377
- ASPEN statement on parenteral nutrition standardization.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2007; 31: 441-448
- Follow-up survey on functionality of nutrition documentation and ordering nutrition therapy in currently available electronic health record (EHR) systems.Nutr Clin Pract. 2016; 31: 401-415
- Safe practices for parenteral nutrition [published correction appears in JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2006;30:177].JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2004; 28: S39-S70
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Standardized ordering and administration of total parenteral nutrition reduces errors in children’s hospital. https://innovations.ahrq.gov/profiles/standardized-ordering-and-administration-total-parenteral-nutrition-reduces-errors. Accessed April 11, 2016.
- Review and verification of parenteral nutrition orders, preparing parenteral nutrition formulations, and labeling.in: Ayers P. Guenter P. Holcombe B. Plogsted S. ASPEN Parenteral Nutrition Handbook. 2nd ed. American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Silver Spring, MD2014: 135-163
- Safety surrounding parenteral nutrition systems.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36: 20S-22S
- Overview of the parenteral nutrition use process.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36: 10S-13S
- ESPEN guidelines on parenteral nutrition: Intensive care.Clin Nutr. 2009; 28: 387-400
- ESPEN guidelines on parenteral nutrition: Surgery.Clin Nutr. 2009; 28: 378-386
Fat Emulsion: Drug Information. Lexicomp Online®. https://online.lexi.com. Accessed December 2015 through UpToDate.
- ASPEN position paper: Recommendations for changes in commercially available parenteral multivitamin and multi-trace element products.Nutr Clin Pract. 2012; 27: 440-491
- A call to action to bring safer parenteral micronutrient products to the U.S. market.Nutr Clin Pract. 2015; 30: 559-569
- Physicochemical stability of total nutrient admixtures.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 1995; 52: 623-634
- Total nutrient admixtures (3-in-1): Pros vs cons for adults.Nutr Clin Pract. 2015; 30: 331-335
- State of the art review: Intravenous fat emulsions: Current applications, safety profile, and clinical implications.Ann Pharmacother. 2010; 44: 688-700
- Lipid injectable emulsions: 2006.Nutr Clin Pract. 2006; 21: 381-386
Trissel LA. Phosphates. Trissel’s™ 2 clinical pharmaceutics database. Cashiers, NC: TriPharma Communications. https://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed January 2016.
- Treatment of electrolyte disorders in adult patients in the intensive care unit.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2005; 62: 1663-1682
Potassium chloride: Drug information. Lexicomp Online®. https://online.lexi.com. Accessed December 2015 through UpToDate.
- ESPEN guidelines on parenteral nutrition: Central venous catheters (access, care, diagnosis and therapy of complications).Clin Nutr. 2009; 28: 365-377
- Guidelines for the use of parenteral and enteral nutrition in adult and pediatric patients.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2002; 26: 1SA-138SA
- Update in pediatrics: Focus on fat-soluble vitamins.Nutr Clin Pract. 2010; 25: 340-346
- Guidelines on Paediatric Parenteral Nutrition of the European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (ESPGHAN) and the European Society of Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (EPSEN), supported by the European Society of Paediatric Research (ESPR).J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2005; 41: S19-S27
- Water-soluble essential micronutrients.in: Corkins M.R. ASPEN Pediatric Nutrition Support Core Curriculum. 2nd ed. ASPEN, Silver Spring, MD2015: 69-90
- The maintenance need for water in parenteral fluid therapy.Pediatrics. 1957; 19: 823-832
- Guidelines for the use of vitamins, trace elements, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus in infants and children receiving total parenteral nutrition: Report of the Subcommittee on Pediatric Parenteral Nutrient Requirements from the Committee on Clinical Practice Issues of the American Society for Clinical Nutrition.Am J Clin Nutr. 1988; 48: 1324-1342
- Rhoads lecture: A 45-year obsession and passionate pursuit of optimal nutrition support: Puppies, pediatrics, surgery, geriatrics, home TPN, ASPEN, et cetera.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2005; 29: 272-287
- Growth and development of an infant receiving all nutrients exclusively by vein.JAMA. 1968; 203: 860-864
- Long-term total parenteral nutrition with growth, development, and positive nitrogen balance.Surgery. 1968; 64: 134-142
- Pharmaceutical and clinical aspects of lipid injectable emulsions.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2017; 41: 125-134
- Compatibility and stability of additives in parenteral nutrition admixtures.Nutrition. 1998; 14: 697-706
- Frequency and severity of harm of medication errors related to the parenteral nutrition process in a large university teaching hospital.Pharmacotherapy. 2009; 29: 966-974
- Use of a systematic risk analysis method to improve safety in the production of paediatric parenteral nutrition solutions.Qual Saf Health Care. 2005; 14: 93-98
- Error reduction when prescribing neonatal parenteral nutrition.Am J Perinatol. 2007; 24: 417-427
- ASHP guidelines on the safe use of automated compounding devices for the preparation of parenteral nutrition admixtures.Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2000; 57: 1343-1348
- Frequency and severity of parenteral nutrition errors at a large children’s hospital after implementation of electronic ordering and compounding.Nutr Clin Pract. 2016; 31: 195-206
- Parenteral nutrition prescribing processes using computerized prescriber order entry: Opportunities to improve safety.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36: 32S-35S
Institute for Safe Medication Practices. Another tragic parenteral nutrition compounding error. ISMP Medication Safety Alert! April 21, 2011. https://www.ismp.org/newsletters/acutecare/articles/20110421.asp. Accessed May 12, 2016.
Institute for Safe Medication Practices. Mismatched prescribing and pharmacy templates for parenteral nutrition (PN) lead to data entry errors. ISMP Medication Safety Alert! June 28, 2012. https://www.ismp.org/newsletters/acutecare/showarticle.aspx?id=25. Accessed April 11, 2016.
US Food and Drug Administration. First Annual Report on Drug Shortages for Calendar Year 2013. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/drugsafety/drugshortages/ucm384892.pdf. Accessed May 12, 2016.
US Food and Drug Administration. Drug Shortages Infographic. https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm441579.htm. Updated December 15, 2016. Accessed March 27, 2018.
- Description of outbreaks of health-care-associated infections related to compounding pharmacies, 2000-12.Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2013; 70: 1301-1312
- Selenium deficiency in pediatric patients with intestinal failure as a consequence of drug shortage.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2014; 38: 115-118
- Anemia and leukopenia in a long-term parenteral nutrition patient during a shortage of parenteral trace element products in the United States.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013; 37: 425-429
Robbins R. Children are dying. The Washingtonian, May 22, 2013. www.washingtonian.com/articles/people/children-are-dying/index.php. Accessed January 1, 2016.
- Drug shortages: National survey reveals high level of frustration, low level of safety.ISMP Medication Safety Alert. 2010; 15 (Sept 23)
- Survey links PN component shortages to adverse outcomes.ISMP Medication Safety Alert. 2014; 19 (Feb 13)
- Using computerized prescriber order entry to implement actions of the pharmacy and therapeutics committee.Hosp Pharm. 2007; 42: 763-766
- Clinical management strategies and implications for parenteral nutrition shortages in adult patients.Pharmacotherapy. 2014; 34: 72-84
Health Level Seven International. HL7 Messaging Standard Version 2.8.2. http://www.hl7.org/implement/standards/product_brief.cfm?product_id=403. Accessed April 25, 2017.
- Strategies for pharmacy integration and pharmacy information system interfaces, part 2: Scope of work and technical aspects of interfaces.Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2004; 61: 506-514
Health Level Seven (HL7) Pharmacy Working Group. Attach 7.06 PN in EHRs Pharmacy WG Meeting. http://www.hl7.org/Special/committees/medication/minutes.cfm. Published January 11, 2016. Accessed March 27, 2018.
- Health information technology: An updated systematic review with a focus on meaningful use.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 48-64
- Overriding of prescribing alerts in computerized physician order entry.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2006; 13: 138-147
- Metabolic effects of cyclic parenteral nutrition infusion in adults and children.Nutr Clin Pract. 2010; 25: 277-281
- Glucose response to abrupt initiation and discontinuation of total parenteral nutrition.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 1993; 17: 64-67
- Type and prevalence of adverse events during the parenteral nutrition cycling process in patients being prepared for discharge.Nutr Clin Pract. 2012; 27: 268-273
- Abrupt discontinuation of cycled parenteral nutrition is safe.Dis Colon Rectum. 1995; 38: 933-939
- The effect of acute discontinuation of total parenteral nutrition.Ann Surg. 1986; 204: 524-529
- The effect of abrupt cessation of total parenteral nutrition on serum glucose: A randomized trial.Am Surg. 2000; 66: 866-869
- Effect of abrupt discontinuation of high glucose infusion rates during parenteral nutrition.J Pediatr. 1994; 124: 441-444
- Glucose response to discontinuation of parenteral nutrition in patients less than 3 years of age.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 1996; 20: 120-122
- Home parenteral nutrition registry: A five-year retrospective evaluation of outcomes of patients receiving home parenteral nutrition support.Nutrition. 2005; 21: 156-160
- Home parenteral nutrition: Survival, cost, and quality of life.Gastroenterology. 2006; 130: S52-S59
Office of the National Coordinator of Health IT Website: A shared nationwide interoperability roadmap. https://www.healthit.gov/policy-researchers-implementers/interoperability. Accessed November 21, 2016.
Office of the National Coordinator of Health IT Website: ONC Health IT Certification Program. https://www.healthit.gov/policy-researchers-implementers/about-onc-health-it-certification-program. Accessed November 21, 2016.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. IMPACT Act of 2014 Data Standardization & Cross Setting Measures. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/Post-Acute-Care-Quality-Initiatives/IMPACT-Act-of-2014/IMPACT-Act-of-2014-Data-Standardization-and-Cross-Setting-MeasuresMeasures.html. Updated September 14, 2016. Accessed March 27, 2018.
Office of the National Coordinator of Health IT Website: 2015 Edition Health IT Standards Criteria. https://www.healthit.gov/policy-researchers-implementers/2015-edition-final-rule. Accessed November 21, 2016.
Office of the National Coordinator of Health IT Website: 2017 Interoperability Standards Advisory. https://www.healthit.gov/isa/. Accessed April 25, 2017.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.
This article is being copublished by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), and the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN). Minor differences in style may appear in each publication, but the article is substantially the same in each journal.