Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- A consideration of biomarkers to be used for evaluation of inflammation in human nutritional studies.Br J Nutr. 2013; 109: S1-S34
- Adipose tissue in obesity-related inflammation and insulin resistance: cells, cytokines, and chemokines.ISRN Inflamm. 2013; 2013: 139239https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/139239
National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2014: With Special Feature on Adults Aged 55–64. Hyattsville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2015.
- Circulating adipokines and inflammatory markers and postmenopausal breast cancer risk.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015; 107https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djv169
- Reduced energy expenditure and increased inflammation are early events in the development of ovariectomy-induced obesity.Endocrinology. 2009; 150: 2161-2168
- Hypothalamic inflammation: Marker or mechanism of obesity pathogenesis?.Diabetes. 2013; 62: 2629-2634
- Understanding weight gain at menopause.Climacteric. 2012; 15: 419-429
- Effects of a diet rich in N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on systemic inflammation in renal transplant recipients.J Am Coll Nutr. 2013; 32: 375-383
- Marine omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory processes: Effects, mechanisms and clinical relevance.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015; 1851: 469-484
- Effect of marine-derived n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on C-reactive protein, interleukin 6 and tumor necrosis factor alpha: A meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e88103
- Habitual dietary intake of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids in relation to inflammatory markers among US men and women.Circulation. 2003; 108: 155-160
- Healthy Eating Index and C-reactive protein concentration: Findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III, 1988-1994.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005; 59: 278-283
- Effect of a Mediterranean-style diet on endothelial dysfunction and markers of vascular inflammation in the metabolic syndrome: A randomized trial.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1440-1446
- Low to moderate sugar-sweetened beverage consumption impairs glucose and lipid metabolism and promotes inflammation in healthy young men: A randomized controlled trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 479-485
- Acute effects of feeding fructose, glucose and sucrose on blood lipid levels and systemic inflammation.Lipids Health Dis. 2014; 13: 195
- Carbohydrate nutrition and inflammatory disease mortality in older adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 634-643
- Comparing indices of diet quality with chronic disease mortality risk in postmenopausal women in the Women’s Health Initiative Observational Study: evidence to inform national dietary guidance.Am J Epidemiol. 2014; 180: 616-625
- Weight science: evaluating the evidence for a paradigm shift.Nutr J. 2011; 10: 9
- Can people make healthy changes to their diet and maintain them in the long term? A review of the evidence.Appetite. 2010; 54: 433-441
- Evaluation of nutrition education interventions for older adults: a proposed framework.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 58-69
- Long-term dietary outcomes of the FRESH START intervention for breast and prostate cancer survivors.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1844-1851
ResearchMatch. http://www.researchmatch.org. Accessed December 14, 2017.
- Comparison of the effects of fish and fish-oil capsules on the n 3 fatty acid content of blood cells and plasma phospholipids.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 86: 1621-1625
- Evaluation of web-based, self-administered, graphical food frequency questionnaire.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 613-621
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.7th Edition. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2010
- Guideline: Sugars Intake for Adults and children. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2015
- Consumption of (n-3) fatty acids is related to plasma biomarkers of inflammation and endothelial activation in women.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 1806-1811
- Cognitive processes mediating behavioral change.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1977; 35: 125-139
- Changes in diet quality score, macro- and micronutrients intake following a nutrition education intervention in postmenopausal women.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2007; 20: 126-131
- State of the evidence regarding behavior change theories and strategies in nutrition counseling to facilitate health and food behavior change.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 879-891
- The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP): description of lifestyle intervention.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 2165-2171
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 569-580
NDS-R. Version 2015. Minneapolis, MN: Nutrition Coordinating Center; 2015.
- A simple method to assess exercise behavior in the community.Can J Appl Sport Sci. 1985; 10: 141-146
- The Godin-Shephard Leisure-Time Physical Activity Questionnaire.Health Fitness J Canada. 2011; 4: 18-22
JMP. Version 11.0.0. Cary, NC: SAS Institute; 2017.
- Telehealth methods to deliver dietary interventions in adults with chronic disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 104: 1693-1702
- Effects of a caloric restriction weight loss diet and exercise on inflammatory biomarkers in overweight/obese postmenopausal women: A randomized controlled trial.Cancer Res. 2012; 72: 2314-2326
- A randomized clinical trial of nutrition education for improvement of diet quality and inflammation in Iranian obese women.J Nutr Metab. 2014; 2014: 605782
- Associations between healthy eating patterns and immune function or inflammation in overweight or obese postmenopausal women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 86: 1445-1455
- Low-grade inflammation, diet composition and health: Current research evidence and its translation.Br J Nutr. 2015; 114: 999-1012
- Reduction of inflammatory cytokine concentrations and improvement of endothelial functions in obese women after weight loss over one year.Circulation. 2002; 105: 804-809
- Longitudinal effects of weight loss and regain on cytokine concentration of obese adults.Metabolism. 2013; 62: 1218-1222
- The effect of weight loss on C-reactive protein: A systematic review.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 31-39
- Responses of inflammatory markers to a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet: effects of energy intake.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 83: 774-779
- Increased fruit and vegetable intake has no discernible effect on weight loss: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 567-576
- Feasibility of a lifestyle intervention on body weight and serum biomarkers in breast cancer survivors with overweight and obesity.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 559-567
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by the Department of Human Sciences and the Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCTS) at The Ohio State University. The project described was supported by Award Number Grant UL1TR001070 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences or the National Institutes of Health.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS K. Arnold and T. S. Orchard designed the intervention. K. Arnold delivered the intervention. K. Arnold and K. Johnson collected data and analyzed samples. K. Arnold, K. R. Weinhold, and R. Andridge analyzed data. K. Arnold, T. S. Orchard, and K. R. Weinhold wrote the first draft of the manuscript. All authors reviewed and edited the manuscript.