Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Coleman-Jensen A, Rabbitt MP, Gregory CA, Singh A. Household Food Security in the United States in 2016. Economic Research Report No. 237. Economic Research Service, US Department of Agriculture; 2017. https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/84973/err-237.pdf. Accessed May 3, 2017.
- Food insecurity is inversely associated with diet quality of lower-income adults.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1943-1953.e2
- Food insecurity is associated with nutrient inadequacies among Canadian adults and adolescents.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 604-612
- Household food insecurity is associated with less physical activity among children and adults in the U.S. population.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 1797-1802
- Food insecurity and children's mental health: A prospective birth cohort study.PloS One. 2012; 7: e52615
- Maternal mental health and the persistence of food insecurity in poor rural families.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2009; 20: 645-661
- Hunger: Its impact on children's health and mental health.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: e41
- Food insecurity and the risks of depression and anxiety in mothers and behavior problems in their preschool-aged children.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e859-e868
- Household food insecurity is positively associated with depression among low-income supplemental nutrition assistance program participants and income-eligible nonparticipants.J Nutr. 2015; 145: 622-627
- Depression and suicide ideation in late adolescence and early adulthood are an outcome of child hunger.J Affect Disord. 2013; 150: 123-129
- Hunger on Campus: The Challenge of Food Insecurity for College Students.College and University Food Bank Alliance, National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness, Student Government Resource Center, Student Public Interest Research Groups, Boston2016Accessed May 3, 2017)
- Still Hungry and Homeless in College.Wisconsin HOPE Lab, Philadelphia, PA2018
- The struggle is real: A systematic review of food insecurity on postsecondary education campuses.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1767-1791
- Student Food Access and Security Study. Global Food Initiative.University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources; Nutrition Policy Institute, Berkeley, CA2016
- Examining the role of financial factors, resources and skills in predicting food security status among college students.Int J Consum Stud. 2014; 38: 374-384
- Understanding food insecurity among college students: Experience, motivation, and local solutions.Ann Anthropol Pract. 2017; 41: 6-19
- Student hunger on campus: Food insecurity among college students and implications for academic institutions.Am J Health Promot. 2018; 32: 349-354
- Food insecurity in California’s public university system: What are the risk factors?.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2018; 13: 1-18
Freudenberg N, Manzo L, Jones H, Kwan A, Tsui E, Gagnon M. Food Insecurity at CUNY: Results from a Survey of CUNY Undergraduate Students. Healthy CUNY Initiative, City University of New York, April 2011. http://web.gc.cuny.edu/che/cunyfoodinsecurity.pdf. Accessed May 3, 2017.
- Prevalence and correlates of food insecurity among students attending a midsize rural university in Oregon.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 209-214
- A systematic review of food insecurity among US students in higher education [published online ahead of print June 22, 2018].J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1080/19320248.2018.1484316
Goldrick-Rab S. Who’s Hungry? Making Sense of Campus Food Insecurity Estimates. medium.com. 2018. https://medium.com/@saragoldrickrab/whos-hungry-making-sense-of-campus-food-insecurity-estimates-4b65cd1ecf2c. Accessed May 3, 2017.
UC Efforts to Address Student Food and Housing Security. Global Food Initiative. University of California; 2017. https://www.ucop.edu/global-food-initiative/_files/addressing-food-housing-security.pdf. Accessed May 3, 2017.
- Partnering to build a pantry: A university campus responds to student food insecurity.J Poverty. 2016; 20: 340-358
- Hunger in children in the United States: potential behavioral and emotional correlates.Pediatrics. 1998; 101: E3
- Food insecurity and emotional health in the USA: A systematic narrative review of longitudinal research.Public Health Nutr. 2017; 20: 3200-3208
- Food insecurity among community college students: Prevalence and association with grade point average.Comm Coll J Res Pract. 2014; 39: 515-526
- A General inductive approach for analyzing qualitative evaluation data.Am J Eval. 2006; 27: 237-246
NVivo [computer program]. Version 11. Melbourne, Australia: QSR International Pty Ltd; 2016.
- Social competence, externalizing, and internalizing behavioral adjustment from early childhood through early adolescence: Developmental cascades.Dev Psychopathol. 2010; 22: 717-735
- Poverty, food insecurity, and the behavior for childhood internalizing and externalizing disorders.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010; 49: 444-452
- Food hardship and child behavior problems among low-income children.Soc Serv Rev. 2005; 79: 511-536
- Association of food insecurity with children's behavioral, emotional, and academic outcomes: A systematic review.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2017; 38: 135-150
- Food insecurity affects school children's academic performance, weight gain, and social skills.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 2831-2839
- Food insufficiency and American school-aged children's cognitive, academic, and psychosocial development.Pediatrics. 2001; 108: 44-53
- Food insecure student clients of a univeristy-based food bank have compromised health, dietary intake and academic quality.Nutr Diet. 2017; 74: 67-73
- The relationship between food security, housing stability, and school performance among college students in an urban university.J Coll Stud Ret. 2017; 19: 284-299
Martinez SM, Frongillo EA, Leung C, Ritchie L. No food for thought: Food insecurity is related to poor mental health and lower academic performance among students in California’s public university system [published online ahead of print June 1, 2018]. J Health Psychol.http://doi.org/10.1177/1359105318783028.
Supplementary materials: Figure 1 is available at www.jandonline.org.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by grant R25A124043 from the National Institute on Aging. C. W. Leung was additionally supported by grant 5K99 HD084758 from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute for Child Health and Human Development.