Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
United States Department of Agriculture. Definition of a Food Desert. Vol 2016. http://www.ers.usda.gov/dataFiles/Food_Access_Research_Atlas/Download_the_Data/Archived_Version/archived_documentation.pdf: USDA; 2009.
- Disparities and access to healthy food in the United States: A review of food deserts literature.Health Place. 2010; 16: 876-884
- The contextual effect of the local food environment on residents' diets: The atherosclerosis risk in communities study.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 1761-1767
- Proximity of supermarkets is positively associated with diet quality index for pregnancy.Prev Med. 2004; 39: 869-875
- Associations of the local food environment with diet quality–A comparison of assessments based on surveys and geographic information systems: The multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.Am J of Epidemiol. 2008; 167: 917-924
- F As in Fat: How Obesity Threatens America's Future 2012.Trust for America's Health and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Washington, DC2012
- Less than Equal: Racial Disparities in Wealth Accumulation. Vol. 2017. Urban Institute, Washington, DC2013
- The intersection of neighborhood racial segregation, poverty, and urbanicity and its impact on food store availability in the United States.Prev Med. 2014; 58: 33-39
- A review of environmental influences on food choices.Ann Behav Med. 2009; 38: S56-S73
- Distance to store, food prices, and obesity in urban food deserts.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 587-595
- A systematic review of food deserts, 1966-2007.Prev Chronic Dis. 2009; 6: A105
- Diet and perceptions change with supermarket introduction in a food desert, but not because of supermarket use.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1858-1868
- New neighborhood grocery store increased awareness of food access but did not alter dietary habits or obesity.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 283-291
- Food access and obesity.Obes Rev. 2007; 8: 99-107
- Changing the future of obesity: Science, policy, and action.Lancet. 2011; 378: 838-847
- Healthy food access for urban food desert residents: Examination of the food environment, food purchasing practices, diet and BMI.Public Health Nutr. 2015; 18: 2220-2230
- Where people shop is not associated with the nutrient quality of packaged foods for any racial-ethnic group in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 103: 1125-1134
- School and residential neighborhood food environment and diet among California youth.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: 129-135
- Is there a robust relationship between neighbourhood food environment and childhood obesity in the USA?.Public Health. 2012; 126: 723-730
- Body mass index in elementary school children, metropolitan area food prices and food outlet density.Public Health. 2005; 119: 1059-1068
- Food prices, access to food outlets and child weight.Econ Hum Biol. 2009; 7: 64-72
- The role of local food availability in explaining obesity risk among young school-aged children.Soc Sci Med. 2012; 74: 1193-1203
- Neighborhood and home food environment and children's diet and obesity: Evidence from military personnel's installation assignment.Soc Sci Med. 2016; 158: 122-131
- Distance to food stores & adolescent male fruit and vegetable consumption: Mediation effects.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2007; 4: 35
- Home availability and the impact of weekly stressful events are associated with fruit and vegetable intake among African American and Hispanic/Latina Women.J Obes. 2012; 2012: 737891
- Convenience stores are the key food environment influence on nutrients available from household food supplies in Texas Border Colonias.BMC Public Health. 2013; 13: 45
- Why do you shop there? A mixed methods study mapping household food shopping patterns onto weekly routines of black women.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016; 13: 11
- There's more to food store choice than proximity: A questionnaire development study.BMC Public Health. 2013; 13: 586
- The complex relationship between diet and health.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1813-1820
- Food prices and food shopping decisions of black women.Appetite. 2014; 77: 104-112
- The social dynamics of healthy food shopping and store choice in an urban environment.Soc Sci Med. 2014; 122: 13-20
- “You have to hunt for the fruits, the vegetables”: Environmental barriers and adaptive strategies to acquire food in a low-income African American neighborhood.Health Educ Behav. 2011; 38: 282-292
- Disparities in food access: Inner-city residents describe their local food environment.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2008; 2: 51-64
- Measuring food availability and access in African-American communities: Implications for intervention and policy.Ame J Prev Med. 2009; 36: S145-S150
- Mobility strategies and food shopping for low-income families: A case study.J Plan Educ Res. 2004; 23: 402-413
- The salience of race in everyday life: Black customers' shopping experiences in black and white neighborhoods.Work Occup. 2000; 27: 353-376
C.S. Mott Children's Hospital, University of Michigan Department of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases, University of Michigan Child Health Evaluation and Research Center. National Poll on Children's Health. Vol 28, No 4. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan; 2017. https://mottpoll.org/sites/default/files/documents/022017_healthyeating.pdf. Accessed June 1, 2018.
- Increasing access to healthful foods: A qualitative study with residents of low-income communities.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015; 12: S5
- Cultural aspects of African American eating patterns.Ethn Health. 1996; 1: 245-260
- Doing away with food deserts in the District.The Washington Post. May 17, 2013; (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/therootdc/post/doing-away-with-food-deserts-in-the-district/2013/05/17/f3e7e2d2-bf1b-11e2-89c9-3be8095fe767_blog.html. Accessed June 1, 2018.)
- Family, maternal, and child health through photovoice.Matern Child Health J. 2004; 8: 95-102
- Photovoice: A participatory action research strategy applied to women's health.J Womens Health. 1999; 8: 185-192
- Photovoice: Concept, methodology, and use for participatory needs assessment.Health Educ Behav. 1997; 24: 369-387
- Participatory action research: Traditions and major assumptions.The Cornell PAR Network News. 1995; 3: 1-4
- Photovoice and its potential use in nutrition and dietetic research.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2010; 71: 93-97
- Understanding the local food environment: A participatory photovoice project in a low-income area in Madrid, Spain.Health Place. 2017; 43: 95-103
- Photovoice as community-based participatory research: A qualitative review.Am J Health Behav. 2009; 33: 686-698
DC Hunger Solutions, Social Compact. When Healthy Food is Out of Reach: An Analysis of the Grocery Gap in the District of Columbia. Washington, DC: DC Hunger Solutions; 2010:23. http://www.dchunger.org/pdf/grocerygap.pdf. Accessed June 1, 2018.
Urban Institute, Washington DC Local Initiatives Support Corporation. NeighborhoodInfo DC. Washington, DC: 2012. http://www.neighborhoodinfodc.org/about.html. Accessed June 1, 2018.
- Food access in D.C. is deeply connected to poverty and transportation. Articles, Health, Poverty and Income Inequality, Transportation. Vol. 2017. DC Policy Center, 2017 (https://www.dcpolicycenter.org/publications/food-access-d-c-deeply-connected-poverty-transportation/. Accessed June 1, 2018.)
- Nature-nurture reconceptualized in developmental perspective: A bioecological model.Psychol Rev. 1994; 101: 568-586
- How many interviews are enough? An experiment with data saturation and variability.Field Methods. 2006; 18: 59-82
- Empowerment education: Freire's ideas applied to health education.Health Educ Q. 1988; 15: 379-394
ATLAS.ti software. Version 7. Berlin, Germany: Scientific Software Development GmbH; 2013.
- Creating healthy food and eating environments: Policy and environmental approaches.Annu Review Public Health. 2008; 29: 253-272
Freire P. Education for Critical Consciousness: Bloomsbury Academic; 1973.
- The Ecology of Human Development: Experiments By Nature and Design.Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA1979
- Effects of mobility and location on food access.Health & Place. 2009; 15: 45-55
- Complex systems thinking and current impasses in health disparities research.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 1627-1634
- The effect of Wal-Mart supercenters on grocery prices in New England.Rev Agric Econ. 2008; 30: 4-26
- The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South.Amistad, New York, NY2017
- Developmental and environmental influences on young children's vegetable preferences and consumption.Adv Nutr. 2016; 7: 220S-231S
- A new framework for addressing adverse childhood and community experiences: The Building Community Resilience Model.Acad Pediatr. 2017; 17: S86-S93
- Neighborhoods, obesity, and diabetes–A randomized social experiment.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1509-1519
- Seven years later: Effects of a neighborhood mobility program on poor black and Latino adults' well-being.J Health Soc Behav. 2008; 49: 119-130
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Honey Nashman Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service at the George Washington University. U. Colón-Ramos received support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation New Connections Network for training in intersectional and qualitative research methods at the University of Maryland’s Intersectional Qualitative Research Methods Institute during the writing of this paper.