Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Health effects of overweight and obesity in 195 countries over 25 years.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 13-27
National Health and Medical Research Council. Educator Guide. Australian Government. https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/content/The%20Guidelines/n55b_educator_guide_140321_1.pdf. Published 2013. Last updated 2013. Accessed March 12, 2016.
- Diet quality—What is it and does it matter?.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 2473-2492
- Use of dietary indexes among children in developed countries.Adv Nutr. 2011; 2: 295-303
- Systematic review of diet quality indices and their associations with health-related outcomes in children and adolescents.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2014; 27: 577-598
- Dietary guideline index for children and adolescents: What is the impact of the new dietary guidelines?.Nutr Diet. 2014; 71: 210-212
- Scores on the dietary guideline index for children and adolescents are associated with nutrient intake and socio-economic position but not adiposity.J Nutr. 2011; 141: 1340-1347
Australian Bureau of Statistics. 4364.0.55.007—Australian Health Survey: Nutrition First Results—Foods and Nutrients, 2011-12. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Lookup/by%20Subject/4364.0.55.007∼2011-12∼Main%20Features∼Discretionary%20foods∼700. Published 2013. Last updated 2013. Accessed February 19, 2016.
- Poor adherence to US dietary guidelines for children and adolescents in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey population.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 21-27
National Health and Medical Research Council. Australian dietary guidelines. Australian Government. https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/the_guidelines/n55_australian_dietary_guidelines.pdf. Published 2013. Last updated 2013. Accessed March 12, 2016.
US Department of Health and Human Services, US Department of Agriculture. Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Published 2015. Last updated 2015. Accessed February 2, 2018.
- Contribution of discretionary foods and drinks to Australian children's intake of energy, saturated fat, added sugars and salt.Children (Basel). 2017; 4: E104
- Dietary sources of energy, solid fats, and added sugars among children and adolescents in the United States.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1477-1484
- Food sources of energy and nutrients among children in the United States: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2006.Nutrients. 2013; 5: 283-301
- Discretionary foods have a high contribution and fruit, vegetables, and legumes have a low contribution to the total energy intake of the Mexican population.J Nutr. 2016; 146: 1881S-1887S
- Comparing the nutritional impact of dietary strategies to reduce discretionary choice intake in the Australian adult population: A simulation modelling study.Nutrients. 2017; 9: E442
- Dietary modeling shows that substitution of whole-grain for refined-grain ingredients of foods commonly consumed by US children and teens can increase intake of whole grains.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1322-1328
- Simulation modeling of policies directed at youth sugar-sweetened beverage consumption.Am J Community Psychol. 2013; 51: 299-313
- Measuring weight outcomes for obesity intervention strategies: the case of a sugar-sweetened beverage tax.Econ Hum Biol. 2011; 9: 329-341
- Reducing calories and added sugars by improving children’s beverage choices.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 269-275
- Modeled dietary impact of pizza reformulations in US children and adolescents.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0164197
- Sources of saturated fat and sucrose in the diets of Swedish children and adolescents in the European Youth Heart Study: strategies for improving intakes.Public Health Nutr. 2010; 13: 1955-1964
- 4324.0.55.002 Microdata: Australian Health Survey, Nutrition and Physical Activity, 2011-12 Basic Confidentialised Unit Record File Data Item List.2nd ed. Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2015
Australian Bureau of Statistics. 4363.0.55.001—Australian Health Survey: Users' Guide, 2011-13. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/4363.0.55.001. Published 2013. Last updated 2013. Accessed February 19, 2016.
- Researchers produce innovation in dietary recall.Agricultural Research. 2004; 52: 10-12
- The sensitivity and specificity of the Goldberg cut-off for EI:BMR for identifying diet reports of poor validity.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2000; 54: 395-404
Food Standards Australia New Zealand. AUSNUT 2011-2013. Food Standards Australia New Zealand. http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/science/monitoringnutrients/ausnut/pages/default.aspx. Published 2015 Last Updated 2015. Accessed November 30, 2015.
Australian Bureau of Statistics. 4363.0.55.001 Discretionary foods. Australian Health Survey: Users’ Guide, 2011-13. Vol 2016. Australian Government. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Latestproducts/BA1526F0D19FA21DCA257CD2001CA166?opendocument. Published 2014. Last updated 2015. Accessed February 19, 2016.
Australian Government, Federal Register of Legislation. Census and Statistics Act 1905. https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2006C00178. Last updated April 20, 2016. Accessed February 19, 2016.
- Evaluation of simulation models that estimate the effect of dietary strategies on nutritional intake: A systematic review.J Nutr. 2017; 147: 908-931
- Discrete strategies to reduce intake of discretionary food choices: A scoping review.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016; 13: 57
- Designing a healthy food partnership: Lessons from the Australian food and health dialogue.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 651
- Potential for improvement of population diet through reformulation of commonly eaten foods.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 325-330
- The role and challenges of the food industry in addressing chronic disease.Glob Health. 2010; 6: 10
Heart Foundation. Rapid review of the evidence: Effectiveness of food reformulation as a strategy to improve population health. https://heartfoundation.org.au/images/uploads/publications/RapidReview_FoodReformulation.pdf. Published 2012. Last updated 2012. Accessed July 14, 2016.
- A nutrient profiling system for the (re)formulation of a global food and beverage portfolio.Eur J Nutr. 2017; 56: 1105-1122
- Portion distortion: Typical portion sizes selected by young adults.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1412-1418
- Assessing and reporting uncertainties in dietary exposure analysis: Mapping of uncertainties in a tiered approach.Food Chem Toxicol. 2015; 82: 79-95
- Excel with Solver add-in.Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA2011
- Guideline: Sugars Intake for Adults and Children.WHO, Geneva, Switzerland2015
- Childhood and adolescent obesity: How many extra calories are responsible for excess of weight?.Rev Paul Pediatr. 2013; 31: 252-257
- Estimating the energy gap among US children: A counterfactual approach.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e1721-e1733
- Trends in obesity prevalence among children and adolescents in the United States, 1988-1994 through 2013-2014.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2292-2299
- Food reformulation: The challenges to the food industry.Proc Nutr Soc. 2013; 72: 61-69
Department of Health. Healthy Food Partnership. Australian Government. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/healthy-food-partnership. Published 2016. Last updated 2016. Accessed August 8, 2016.
- Position paper on the need for portion-size education and a standardised unit of measurement.Health Promot J Austr. 2017; 28: 260-263
Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation. Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation. http://www.healthyweightcommit.org/about. Accessed November 13, 2017.
Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation. Together Counts. http://www.togethercounts.com/. Accessed November 13, 2017.
- Impact of change in sweetened caloric beverage consumption on energy intake among children and adolescents.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009; 163: 336-343
- SSB taxes and diet quality in US preschoolers: estimated changes in the 2010 Healthy Eating Index.Pediatr Obes. 2017; 12: 146-154
- The public health and economic benefits of taxing sugar-sweetened beverages.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1599-1605
- Beverage purchases from stores in Mexico under the excise tax on sugar sweetened beverages: observational study.BMJ. 2016; 352: h6704
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2015.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1591-1602
Epidemiology and Genomics Research Program. Usual dietary intakes: The NCI Method National Cancer Institute. https://epi.grants.cancer.gov/diet/usualintakes/method.html. Published 2015. Last updated 2015. Accessed November 12, 2017.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by a National Health and Medical Research Council Program Grant (631947) and an Early Career Fellowship (1053359).