Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Improving diversity in the health professions.North Carolina Med J. 2016; 77: 137-140
Registry Statistics. Commission on Dietetic Registration. 2018. https://www.cdrnet.org/registry-statistics?id=2821&actionxm=ByDemographics. Accessed January 8, 2018.
Registered Dietitian Demographics: As of December 1, 2013. Commission on Dietetic Registration. https://www.cdrnet.org/certifications/registered-dietitians-demographics. Accessed June 3, 2017.
Dietetics Education Program Statistics 1998-2016. Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatrightpro.org/∼/media/eatrightpro%20files/acend/diversity-enrollment-trends_1995-2016.ashx. Accessed January 8, 2018.
Colby SL, Ortman JM. Projections of the size and composition of the US population: 2014-2060, Current Population Reports, P25-1143. Washington, DC. 2015. https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2015/demo/p25-1143.pdf. Accessed June 1, 2017.
- Expanding underrepresented minority participation.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011Accessed June 3, 2017)
- America’s Unmet Promise: The Imperative for Equity in Higher Education.Association of American Colleges and Universities, Washington, DC2015
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics. Supply and Demand for Internship Sites. 2017. http://www.eatrightpro.org/∼/media/eatrightpro%20files/acend/supplyanddemandchart.ashx. Accessed May 7, 2017.
- Minority interns’ experiences during their dietetics education and their recommendations for increasing diversity in dietetics: Findings from structured interviews.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1674-1677
Parham E, Robinson L, Quinn J. Program directors opinions in regard to didactic program in dietetics graduates failure to secure placement in supervised practice programs. J Am Diet Assoc.101(9):1047-1050.
- Paving the Way Through Paid Internships: A Proposal to Expand Educational and Economic Opportunities for Low-income College Students.Economic Policy Institute, Washington, DC2010Accessed April 20, 2017)
- Sweating employment: Ethical and legal issues with unpaid student internships.College Composition and Communication. 2013; 65: 251
- Socio-economic status and enrollment in higher education: Do costs matter?.Education Economics. 2015; 23: 532-556
- Students whose parents did not go to college: Postsecondary access, persistence, and attainment.The Condition of Education. 2001; (xviii-xIiii)
Commission on Dietetic Registration, The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Visioning report: Moving forward—A vision for the continuum of dietetics education, credentialing, and practice. 2012. https://www.cdrnet.org/pub/file.cfm?item_type=xm_file&id=10369. Accessed April 16, 2017.
- Diversity of US medical school students by parental education.AAMC Analysis in Brief. 2010; 9: 1-2
- Diversity of US medical students by parental income.AAMC Analysis in Brief. 2008; 8: 1-2
- Economic and racial disadvantage as reflected in traditional medical school selection factors.J Med Educ. 1977; 52: 961-970
Read the Code of Ethics. National Association of Social Works website. 2017. https://www.socialworkers.org/About/Ethics/Code-of-Ethics/Code-of-Ethics-English. Accessed January 8, 2018.
Annual Statistics on Social Work Education in the United States, 2015. Council on Social Work Education website. 2015. https://www.cswe.org/getattachment/992f629c-57cf-4a74-8201-1db7a6fa4667/2015-Statistics-on-Social-Work-Education.aspx. Accessed January 8, 2018.
The State of Nursing 2016. Nursing.org website. 2016. http://www.nursing.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Nursing.org_.State-of-Nursing_2016.pdf. Accessed January 8, 2018.
Enhancing Diversity in the Workforce. American Association of Colleges and Nursing website. 2015. http://www.aacnnursing.org/News-Information/Fact-Sheets/Enhancing-Diversity. Accessed January 8, 2018.
- Running in place: Low-income students and the dynamics of higher education stratification.Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis. 2011; 33: 318-339
Greenstone M, Looney A, Patashnik J, Yu M. Thirteen economic facts about social mobility and the role of education. The Hamilton Project, Brookings Institution, Washington, DC. 2013. https://www.brookings.edu/research/thirteen-economic-facts-about-social-mobility-and-the-role-of-education/. Accessed May 17, 2017.
- Medical students’ socioeconomic background and their completion of the first two years of medical school.AAMC Analysis in Brief. 2010; 9
- The balancing act of diversity initiatives.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2011; 111: 1110-1117
- The educational pipeline and diversity in dietetics.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 791-800
Holistic Admissions. American Association of Colleges of Nursing website. http://www.aacnnursing.org/Diversity-Inclusion/Holistic-Admissions. Accessed January 8, 2018.
Holistic Admissions in the Health Professions: Findings from a National Survey. Urban Universities for HEALTH website. 2014. http://urbanuniversitiesforhealth.org/media/documents/Holistic_Admissions_in_the_Health_Professions.pdf. Accessed March 25, 2018.
- Preparing dietetics practitioners to effectively serve the Hispanic population.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 359-364
- Promoting diversity within the dietetics profession through a peer mentorship program.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 198-202
Fitz PA, Mitchell BE. Building our future. J Am Diet Assoc. 102:1001-1007.
- An evaluation of a public health nutrition workforce development intervention for the nutrition and dietetics workforce.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2010; 23: 244-253
- Retaining Hispanic dietetic undergraduate students through mentoring and professional development.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 115: S10-S15
- African-American students' perceptions of their majors, future professions, and the dietetics major and profession: A qualitative analysis.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1192-1197
- Barriers to and facilitators of dietetics education among students of diverse backgrounds: Results of a survey.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 449-468
Gardner P. The debate over unpaid college internships. 2010. http://www.ceri.msu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Intern-Bridge-Unpaid-College-Internship-Report-FINAL.pdf. Accessed March 13, 2017.
Direct Graduate Medical Education. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services website. 2017. https://www.cms.gov/medicare/medicare-fee-for-service-payment/acuteinpatientpps/dgme.html. Accessed May 31, 2017.
- Perceptions of non-university affiliated dietetic internship program directors regarding education requirements to obtain a master’s degree as an entry-level dietitian.Int J Allied Health Sci Pract. 2017; 15: 9
Loan Repayment. Health Resources and Services Administration, National Health Service Corps website. https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/. Accessed January 8, 2018.
Comments to HRSA re loan repayment for RDNs in National Health Service Corps. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatrightpro.org/resource/news-center/on-the-pulse-of-public-policy/regulatory-comments/comments-to-hrsa-re-loan-repayment-for-rdns-in-nhsc. Accessed January 8, 2018.
FAQs about assessing prior learning and accreditation standards. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. 2015. http://www.eatrightpro.org/resource/acend/accreditation-process/faqs-about-accreditation/faqs-about-assessing-prior-learning-and-accreditation-standards. Accessed January 8, 2018.
This article was written by Kate Gardner Burt, PhD, RD, an assistant professor, Dietetics, Foods and Nutrition Program, Lehman College Bronx, NY; Kathleen Delgado, MS, RD, a graduate student, City University of New York, Bronx, NY; and May Chen, a graduate student, and Rachel Paul, MS, RD, a doctoral candidate, both at Teachers College Columbia University, New York, NY.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There was no funding for this article.