Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Coleman-Jensen A, Rabbitt MP, Gregory CA, Singh A. Household food security in the United States in 2016. 2017. https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=84972. Accessed April 26, 2018.
- Prevalence of obesity among adults and youth: United States, 2011-2014.NCHS Data Brief. 2015; : 1-8
US Department of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2016: With Chartbook on Long-Term Trends in Health. Hyattsville, MD; 2017.
- Racial/ethnic disparities in association between dietary quality and incident diabetes in postmenopausal women in the United States: The Women’s Health Initiative 1993-2005.Ethn Health. 2014; 19: 328-347
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Standards of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance for Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (Competent, Proficient, and Expert) in Public Health and Community Nutrition.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1699-1709.e39
- Unequal burden of disease, unequal participation in clinical trials: Solutions from African American and Latino community members.Health Soc Work. 2013; 38: 29-38
- Challenging assumptions about minority participation in US clinical research.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 2217-2222
- Ethnic status and participation in longitudinal health surveys.Am J Epidemiol. 1984; 119: 99-113
- Challenges and success of recruiting and retention for a culturally tailored diabetes prevention program for adults of Mexican descent.Diabetes Educ. 2013; 39: 222-230
- Dialogues on diversifying clinical trials: Successful strategies for engaging women and minorities in clinical trials.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012; 21: 713-716
- The development of a minority recruitment plan for cancer clinical trials.J Community Med Health Educ. 2013; 3: 1000230
- Successful recruitment and retention of Latino study participants.Health Promot Pract. 2012; 13: 779-787
- Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory.Sage Publications, Newbury Park, CA1998
- An ecological perspective on health promotion programs.Health Educ Q. 1988; 15: 351-377
- Beginning Qualitative Research: A Philosophic and Practical Guide.Psychology Press, London, UK1994
- How to Use Qualitative Methods in Evaluation. Sage Publications, Newbury Park, CA1987 Vol 4. 2nd ed.
- Real qualitative researchers do not count: The use of numbers in qualitative research.Res Nurs Health. 2001; 24: 230-240
- Grounded Theory Methodology: An Overview.in: Denzin N.K. Lincoln Y.S. Handbook of Qualitative Research. 1st ed. Sage Publications, Newbury Park, CA1994: 283-284
- Naturalistic Inquiry.Sage Publications, Newbury Park, CA1985
- Reaching the hard-to-reach: A systematic review of strategies for improving health and medical research with socially disadvantaged groups.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014; 14: 42
- Worth the risk? Muddled relationships in community-based participatory research.Qual Health Res. 2016; 26: 69-76
- Strategies to build trust and recruit African American and Latino community residents for health research: A cohort study.Clin Transl Sci. 2015; 8: 412-420
- Review of community-based research: Assessing partnership approaches to improve public health.Annu Rev Public Health. 1998; 19: 173-202
- What is the role of culture, diversity, and community engagement in transdisciplinary translational science?.Transl Behav Med. 2016; 6: 115-124
- A realist evaluation of community-based participatory research: Partnership synergy, trust building and related ripple effects.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 725
- Cultural sensitivity in public health: Defined and demystified.Ethn Dis. 1999; 9: 10-21
- A systematic review of barriers and facilitators to minority research participation among African Americans, Latinos, Asian Americans, and Pacific Islanders.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: e16-e31
Torres L, Hyra A, Bouchet S. Hispanics and family-strengthening programs: Cultural strategies to enhance program participation. 2013. https://www.acf.hhs.gov/opre/resource/hispanics-and-family-strengthening-programs-cultural-strategies-to. Accessed September 12, 2017.
- ¡Cocinar para su salud!: Randomized controlled trial of a culturally based dietary intervention among Hispanic breast cancer survivors.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 709-723.e3
McLeod C. Trust. In: Zalta EN, ed. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. https://plato.stanford.edu/archives/fall2015/entriesrust/. Accessed September 20, 2017.
- Culturally competent qualitative research with Latino immigrants.Hisp J Behav Sci. 2011; 33: 184-203
- A Personal touch: The most important strategy for recruiting Latino research participants.J Transcult Nurs. 2017; 28: 342-347
- The impact of familism on physical and mental health among Hispanics in the United States.Health Psychol Rev. 2014; 8: 95-127
- Salud America! Developing a national Latino childhood obesity research agenda.Health Educ Behav. 2011; 38: 251-260
- Expectancy-value theory of achievement motivation.Contemp Educ Psychol. 2000; 25: 68-81
- Motivation to learn: An overview of contemporary theories.Med Educ. 2016; 50: 997-1014
- Issues in biomedical research: What do Hispanics think?.Am J Health Behav. 2013; 37: 80-85
- Are racial and ethnic minorities less willing to participate in health research?.PLoS Med. 2006; 3: e19
- Recruitment and retention of African American and Hispanic girls and women in research.Public Health Nurs. 2013; 30: 159-166
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research was supported by a grant from the Christopher Family Foundation of the Family Resiliency Center's Food and Family Program and Experiment Station Funding at the University of Illinois.