Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Caring for patients with celiac disease: The role of the pharmacist.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2008; 48: e125-e139
- Mucosal recovery and mortality in adults with celiac disease after treatment with a gluten-free diet.Am J Gastroenterol. 2010; 105: 1412-1420
- Malignancy in coeliac disease—Effect of a gluten free diet.Gut. 1989; 30: 333-338
- Celiac disease.World J Gastroenterol. 2006; 12: 6585-6593
- Increasing incidence of celiac Disease in a north American population.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 818-824
- A history of coeliac disease.Dig Dis. 2008; 26: 112-120
- ACG clinical guidelines: Diagnosis and management of celiac disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 656-676
- The clinical response to gluten challenge: A review of the literature.Nutrients. 2013; 5: 4614-4641
- Ex vivo whole blood secretion of interferon (IFN)-γ and IFN-γ-inducible protein-10 measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay are as sensitive as IFN-γ enzyme-linked immunospot for the detection of gluten-reactive T cells in human leucocyte antigen (HLA)-DQ2·5+-associated coeliac disease.Clin Exp Immunol. 2014; 175: 305-315
- Diagnostic screening for subclinical celiac disease using a rapid test in children aged 2-4.Pediatr Res. 2015; 78: 280-285
- The value of the banana in the treatment of coeliac disease.Am J Dis Child. 1924; 24: 421-437
- Development of drugs for celiac disease: Review of endpoints for Phase 2 and 3 trials.Gastroenterol Rep. 2015; : 1-12
- Gluten in pills: A hazard for patients with celiac disease.Can Med Assoc J. 1985; 133: 114-115
Food and Drug Administration. Questions and answers: Gluten-free food labeling final rule. www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/Allergens/ucm362880.htm. Accessed January 23, 2018.
- The safe threshold for gluten contamination in gluten-free products. Can trace amounts be accepted in the treatment of coeliac disease?.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004; 19: 1277-1283
- A prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to establish a safe gluten threshold for patients with celiac disease.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 85: 160-166
- Celiac disease.Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2009; 24: 687-691
- Preventing complications in celiac disease: Our experience with managing adult celiac disease.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2015; 29: 459-468
- Hazards of gluten-containing foods and pharmaceuticals for persons with celiac disease.Drug Benefit Trends. 2003; 15: 47-48
- Celiac disease: Not all medications are contaminated with gliadin.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2006; 31: 195-196
- Gluten in pharmaceutical products.Am J Heath Syst Pharm. 2001; 58: 396-401
- Medications and celiac disease-Tips from a pharmacist.Pract Gastroenterol. 2007; 31: 58-64
- Pillbox.([database online]) National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD2016Accessed January 23, 2018)
Jay L, Mangione RA, Pal S, et al. National Foundation for Celiac Awareness. (2014). Gluten in medication: Qualifying the extent of exposure to people with celiac disease and identifying a hidden and preventable cause of an adverse drug event. https://www.beyondceliac.org/SiteData/docs/PublicRepo/74eee1968327b603/Public%20Report%20Final.pdf. Accessed January 23, 2018.
- Gluten content of medications.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2015; 72: 54-60
- Medications: A hidden source of gluten.Pract Gastroenterol. 2009; 33: 32-38
- Determining the gluten content of nonprescription drugs: Information for patients with celiac disease.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2011; 51: 734-737
Gluten in Medicine Disclosure Act of 2013. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr2003. Accessed January 23, 2018.
- Pharmacists must guard vulnerable patients against inactive ingredients in medications.Drug Topics. 2015;June:21; (http://www.drugtopics.com/drug-topics/news/pharmacists-must-guard-vulnerable-patients-against-inactive-ingredients-medications?page=full. Accessed January 23, 2018.)
Gluten in Medicine Disclosure Act of 2015. https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3648. Accessed January 23, 2018.
Medications and gluten. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesforyou/consumers/buyingusingmedicinesafely/ensuringsafeuseofmedicine/ucm410373.htm. Accessed January 23, 2018.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT The authors did not receive any support in the form of grants, equipment, or drugs.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS Both authors contributed equally to the writing of the manuscript.