Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The A.S.P.E.N. Adult Nutrition Support Core Curriculum.American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Silver Spring, MD2012
- Chylothorax: Diagnosis and management in children.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2009; 10: 199-207
- Human milk for ill and medically compromised infants: Strategies and ongoing innovation.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2016; 40: 768-782
- A method for standardizing the fat content of human milk for use in the neonatal intensive care unit.Int Breastfeed J. 2009; 4: 3
- Evaluation of fat separation and removal methods to prepare low-fat breast milk for fat-intolerant neonates with chylothorax.Nutr Clin Pract. 2013; 28: 599-602
- The use of fat-free human milk in infants with chylous pleural effusion.J Perinatol. 2007; 27: 434-436
- Feasibility and efficacy of defatted human milk in the treatment for chylothorax after cardiac surgery in infants.Pediatr Cardiol. 2016; 37: 1072-1077
- Fat-modified breast milk resolves chylous pleural effusion in infants with postsurgical chylothorax but is associated with slow growth.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2015; 40: 543-551
- Neofax.Thomson Reuters, Montvale, NJ2011
Mead Johnson Enfaport product information. Healthcare Professional Resource Center website. https://www.meadjohnson.com/pediatrics/us-en/product-information/products/medical/enfaport#nutrients-sup-sup. Updated December 27, 2017. Accessed December 5, 2017.
Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, National Acadamies. Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI): Recommended Dietary Allowances and Adequate Intakes, Vitamins. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK56068/table/summarytables.t2/?report=objectonly. Updated 2011. Accessed December 5, 2017.
This article was written by Brittani Clark, MS, RD, CD, Melissa Froh, MS, RD, CD, CNSC, and Elizabeth Polzin, MBA, RD, CD, CNSC, all clinical dietitian specialists, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS Praveen S. Goday, MD, reviewed and commented on subsequent and final draft of the manuscript.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS B. Clark collected the data and wrote the first draft of the process of creating skimmed breast milk and implementing fortified skimmed breast milk and reviewed and commented on subsequent drafts of the manuscript. M. Froh collected the data and wrote the first draft of nutrient analysis table and conclusion and reviewed initial and subsequent drafts of the manuscript. E. Polzin collected the data and wrote the first draft of the introduction and role of dietitian, made significant contribution to the review, and commented on subsequent and final drafts of the manuscript.