Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Breast cancer.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1134-1150
- Cancer Statistics, 2017.CA Cancer J Clin. 2017; 67: 7-30
- The relative importance of prognostic factors in studies of survival.Stat Med. 1993; 12: 2377-2382
- Diet quality as assessed by the Healthy Eating Index, the Alternate Healthy Eating Index, the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Score, and health outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 780-800
- Association of changes in diet quality with total and cause-specific mortality.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 143-153
- Are diet quality scores after breast cancer diagnosis associated with improved breast cancer survival?.Nutr Cancer. 2013; 65: 820-826
- Diet quality indices and postmenopausal breast cancer survival.Nutr Cancer. 2011; 63: 381-388
- Better postdiagnosis diet quality is associated with reduced risk of death among postmenopausal women with invasive breast cancer in the Women’s Health Initiative.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2014; 23: 575-583
- Postdiagnosis diet quality, the combination of diet quality and recreational physical activity, and prognosis after early-stage breast cancer.Cancer Causes Control. 2011; 22: 589-598
- Pre- and postdiagnostic diet in relation to mortality among breast cancer survivors in the CPS-II Nutrition Cohort.Cancer Cause Control. 2016; 27: 1303-1314
- “From Patient to Survivor”: Women’s experience with breast cancer after 5 years.Cancer Nurs. 2016; 39: E40-E48
- Increased fruit, vegetable and fiber intake and lower fat intake reported among women previously treated for invasive breast cancer.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 801-808
- Association of cancer prevention-related nutrition knowledge, beliefs, and attitudes to cancer prevention dietary behavior.J Am Diet Assoc. 1997; 97: 957-965
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 569-580
- Design of the Women’s Health Initiative clinical trial and observational study. The Women’s Health Initiative Study Group.Control Clin Trials. 1998; 19: 61-109
- The Women’s Health Initiative Dietary Modification trial: overview and baseline characteristics of participants.Ann Epidemiol. 2003; 13: S87-S97
- Measurement characteristics of the Women’s Health Initiative food frequency questionnaire.Ann Epidemiol. 1999; 9: 178-187
- A data-based approach to diet questionnaire design and testing.Am J Epidemiol. 1986; 124: 453-469
- The use of a self-administered questionnaire to assess diet four years in the past.Am J Epidemiol. 1988; 127: 188-199
- Reproducibility and validity of an expanded self-administered semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire among male health-professionals.Am J Epidemiol. 1992; 135: 1114-1126
- Sources of data for developing and maintaining a nutrient database.J Am Diet Assoc. 1988; 88: 1268-1271
The University of Minnesota Nutrition Coordinating Center. The University of Minnesota Nutrition Coordinating Center (NCC) Food and Nutrient Database 2016. http://www.ncc.umn.edu/products/features/food-and-nutrient-database-2/. Accessed May 8, 2018.
The University of Minnesota Nutrition Coordinating Center. Nutrition Data System for Research. http://www.ncc.umn.edu/products/. Accessed May 8, 2018.
US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th ed. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 2011.
- Validation of the WHI brief physical activity questionnaire among women diagnosed with breast cancer.Am J Health Behav. 2007; 31: 193-202
- Implementation of the Women’s Health Initiative study design.Ann Epidemiol. 2003; 13: S5-S17
US Department of Health and Human Services PHS, National Institutes of Health. SEER Program: comparative staging guide for cancer. Version 1.1. Washington, DC: NIH Publication; 1993:93-3640.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology/College Of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for immunohistochemical testing of estrogen and progesterone receptors in breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2784-2795
- The role of obesity in cancer survival and recurrence.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012; 21: 1244-1259
Statistical Analysis Software [computer program]. 9.4 ed. Cary: NC: SAS Institute; 2013.
- Diet and risk for breast cancer recurrence and survival.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 1999; 53: 241-253
- Higher diet quality is associated with decreased risk of all-cause, cardiovascular disease, and cancer mortality among older adults.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 881-889
- Comparing indices of diet quality with chronic disease mortality risk in postmenopausal women in the Women’s Health Initiative Observational Study: evidence to inform national dietary guidance.Am J Epidemiol. 2014; 180: 616-625
- Avocado consumption is associated with better diet quality and nutrient intake, and lower metabolic syndrome risk in US adults: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2001-2008.Nutr J. 2013; 12
- Index-based dietary patterns and risk of colorectal cancer: the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 168: 38-48
- Healthy Eating Index and mortality in a nationally representative elderly cohort.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 275-277
- Statistical issues arising in the Women’s Health Initiative.Biometrics. 2005; 61 (discussion 911-841): 899-911
- Race/ethnicity, physical activity, and quality of life in breast cancer survivors.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009; 18: 656-663
- A teachable moment for oncologists: Cancer survivors, 10 million strong and growing!.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 5458-5460
- Randomized trial of a telephone-based weight loss intervention in postmenopausal women with breast cancer receiving letrozole: The LISA trial.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 2231-2239
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT The WHI programs is funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, and US Department of Health and Human Services, through contracts HHSN268201600018C, HHSN268201600001C, HHSN268201600002C, HHSN268201600003C, and HHSN268201600004C.