Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Treatment Manual for Anorexia Nervosa: A Family-Based Approach.2nd ed. Guilford Press, New York, NY2015
- Evaluation of family treatment models for eating disorders.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2011; 24: 274-279
- Family based treatment of eating disorders.Int J Eat Disord. 2005; 37: S64-S67
- Family and individual therapy in anorexia nervosa: A five-year follow-up.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997; 54: 1025-1030
- Randomized clinical trial of family-based treatment and cognitive-behavioral therapy for adolescent bulimia nervosa.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2015; 54: 886-894
- Early response to family-based treatment for adolescent anorexia nervosa.Int J Eat Disord. 2010; 43: 659-662
- Predictors of drop out and remission in FBT.Int J Eat Disord. 2006; 50: 85-92
- Position Paper of the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine: Medical Management of Restrictive Eating Disorders in Adolescents and Young Adults.J Adolesc Health. 2015; 56: 121-125
- Practice Paper of the American Dietetic Association: Nutritional intervention in the treatment of eating disorders.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1236-1241
- Adolescent anorexia: Guiding principles and skills for the dietetic support of family-based treatment.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017 Dec 23; (Epub ahead of print)
- Feeding and Eating Disorders: DSM-5® Selections.American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC2015
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Adolescence. Identification and management of eating disorders in children and adolescents.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 1240-1253
- Academy for Eating Disorders Position Paper: The role of the family in eating disorders.Int J Eat Disord. 2010; 43: 1-5
- Behind the smile: Qualitative study of caregivers anguish and management responses while caring for someone living with heart failure.BMJ Open. 2017; 7: e014126
- Nutritional rehabilitation of anorexia nervosa. Goals and dangers.Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2004; 16: 131-144
- Choose your foods: Exchange lists for diabetes: The 2008 Revision of Exchange Lists for Meal Planning.Diabetes Spectr. 2008; 21: 281-283
- Calorie counting and fitness tracking technology: Associations with eating disorder symptomatology.Eat Behav. 2017; 26: 89-92
- My Fitness Pal calorie tracker usage in the eating disorders.Eat Behav. 2017; 27: 14-16
- Nutrition Counseling in the Treatment of Eating Disorders.2nd ed. Brunner-Routledge, New York2003
US Department of Agriculture. MyPlate. https://www.choosemyplate.gov. Accessed January 4, 2018.
- Macronutrient intake associated with weight gain in adolescent girls with anorexia nervosa.Int J Eat Disord. 2017; 50: 1050-1057
- Functional hypothalamic amenorrhea: A partial and reversible gonadotrophin deficiency of nutritional origin.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1999; 50: 229-235
- Metabolic assessment of menstruating and nonmenstruating normal weight adolescents.Int J Eat Disord. 2009; 42: 658-663
- Nine-month nutritional intervention improves restoration of menses in young female athletes and ballet dancers.J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2014; 11: 52
- The effects of increased protein intake on fullness: A meta-analysis and its limitations.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 968-983
- Higher caloric intake in hospitalized adolescents with anorexia nervosa is associated with reduced length of stay and no increased rate of refeeding syndrome.J Adolesc Health. 2013; 53: 573-578
- An eleven site national quality improvement evaluation of adolescent medicine-based eating disorder programs: Predictors of weight outcomes at one year and risk adjustment analyses.J Adolesc Health. 2011; 49: 594-600
- Treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder complicated by comorbid eating disorders.Cogn Behav Ther. 2013; 42: 64-76
- Cognitive mediation of symptom change in exposure and response prevention for obsessive-compulsive disorder.Behav Ther. 2016; 47: 474-486
- Maximizing exposure therapy: An inhibitory learning approach.Behav Res Ther. 2014; 58: 10-23
- What kind of exposure reduces children’s food neophobia?.Looking vs. tasting. Appetite. 1987; 9: 171-178
- Food choice and diet variety in weight-restored patients with anorexia nervosa.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 732-736
- Understanding variety: Tasting different foods delays satiation.Physiol Behav. 2006; 87: 263-271
- Dietary variety within food groups: Association with energy intake and body fatness in men and women.Am J Clin Nutr. 1999; 69: 440-447
- Volume and variety: Relative effects on food intake.Physiol Behav. 2006; 87: 714-722
- Dietary variety, energy regulation, and obesity.Psychol Bull. 2001; 127: 325-341
- Variety in a meal enhances food intake in man.Physiol Behav. 1981; 26: 215-221
- Effects of variety on food intake of underweight, normal-weight and overweight women.Appetite. 1990; 15: 47-61
- Amount of food group variety consumed in the diet and long-term weight loss maintenance.Obes Res. 2005; 13: 883-890
- Relationship between changes in food group variety, dietary intake, and weight during obesity treatment.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004; 28: 813-820
- The metabolic responses to starvation and refeeding in adolescents with anorexia nervosa.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1997; 817: 110-119
- Effect of refeeding on the energy metabolism of adolescent girls who have anorexia nervosa.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991; 45: 527-537
- Can patients with eating disorders learn to eat intuitively? A 2-year pilot study.Eat Disord. 2017; 25: 99-113
This article was written by Wendy Sterling, MS, RD, CSSD, owner, Sterling Nutrition, Menlo Park, CA; Casey Crosbie, RD, CSSD, program director, Nan Shaw, LCSW, FBT certified therapist, and Susanne Martin, MD, medical director, The Healthy Teen Project, Los Altos, CA.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST W. Sterling and C. Crosbie have co-written a book on this subject titled How to Nourish Your Child Through an Eating Disorder: A Simple Plate-by-Plate Approach to Rebuilding a Healthy Relationship with Food, published July 2018, from The Experiment publishers. S. Martin and N. Shaw wrote chapters in that book.
FUNDING/SUPPORT The authors have no disclosures.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS W. Sterling and C. Crosbie wrote the first draft with contributions from N. Shaw and S. Martin. All authors reviewed and commented on subsequent drafts of the manuscript.