Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2017; With Chartbook on Longterm Trends in Health. Hyattsville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2018.
- Chronic Care: Making the Case for Ongoing Care.Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Princeton, NJ2010
- Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey: Employment status of the civilian noninstitutional population by sex, age, and race.Last modified January 19, 2018. Accessed November 8, 2018)
- Workplace Health Promotion.Updated June 26, 2018. Accessed June 20, 2018)
- The health and cost benefits of work site health-promotion programs.Annu Rev Public Health. 2008; 29: 303-323
- Relationship between employment characteristics and obesity among employed U.S. adults.Am J Health Promot. 2014; 28: 389-396
- Association between dietary factors and mortality from heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes in the United States.JAMA. 2017; 317: 912-924
US Department of Health and Human Services, US Department of Agriculture. 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 7th Edition. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 2010.
- Healthy Food Environments.Updated April 30, 2018. Accessed November 8, 2018)
- Worksite food and physical activity environments and wellness supports reported by employed adults in the United States, 2013.Am J Health Promot. 2016; 32: 96-105
- Factors influencing lunchtime food choices among working Americans.Health Educ Behav. 2009; 36: 289-301
- The effectiveness of worksite nutrition and physical activity interventions for controlling employee overweight and obesity: a systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 340-357
- School food and nutrition policy, monitoring and evaluation in the USA.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 982-988
United States Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. 7 CFR Parts 210 and 220.
- Worksite environment intervention to prevent obesity among metropolitan transit workers.Prev Med. 2010; 50: 180-185
- Worksite environment physical activity and healthy food choices: measurement of the worksite food and physical activity environment at four metropolitan bus garages.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2007; 4: 17
- FoodAPS National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey.https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/foodaps-national-household-food-acquisition-and-purchase-survey/(Updated October 24, 2018. Accessed November 8, 2018)
- Mathematical Policy Research.https://www.mathematica-mpr.com/Date accessed: June 20, 2018
- US Federal Poverty Guidelines Used to Determine Financial Eligibility for Certain Federal Programs.https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelinesDate accessed: June 21, 2018
- Overview & Background of The Healthy Eating Index.Updated August 13, 2018. Accessed September 6, 2017)
Statistical Analysis Software [computer program]. Version 9.4. Cary, NC; 2013.
Lin B-H, Guthrie J. Nutritional Quality of Food Prepared at Home and Away From Home, 1977-2008. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service; 2012.
- The Impact of Food Away from Home on Adult Diet Quality.US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2010
- Educational attainment for workers 25 years and older by detailed occupation.Updated October 30, 2018. Accessed September 6, 2017)
- Nutritional quality at eight U.S. fast-food chains: 14-year trends.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 589-594
- Support for food and beverage worksite wellness strategies and sugar-sweetened beverage intake among employed U.S. adults.Am J Health Promot. 2017; 31: 128-135
- Food Service Guidelines for Federal Facilities.US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2017
- Healthy Workplace Food & Beverage Toolkit.American Heart Association, Dallas, TX2015
- Moments of truth: nudges at the point of consumption in an office setting.Advances in Consumer Research. 2014; 42: 423-426
- Committee on Accelerating Progress in Obesity Prevention. Accelerating Progress in Obesity Prevention: Solving the Weight of the Nation.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2012
Supplementary materials: Podcast available at www.jandonline.org/content/podcast
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Funding is solely from internal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention funds.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS S. J. Onufrak analyzed the data. S. J. Onufrak and H. Zaganjor wrote the first draft. All authors reviewed and commented on initial tables and subsequent drafts of the manuscript.