Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
US Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Accessed September 22, 2017.
- Tracking of fruit and vegetable consumption from adolescence into adulthood and its longitudinal association with overweight.Br J Nutr. 2007; 98: 431-438
- School food environments and practices affect dietary behaviors of US public school children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: S91-S107
- Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs.USDA Final Rule. 2012; (Accessed September 22, 2017)
- A systematic review of methods to assess children’s diets in the school context.Adv Nutr. 2017; 8: 63-79
- Measurement of dietary intake in children.Proc Nutr Soc. 2000; 59: 279-293
- Dietary assessment methods among school-aged children: validity and reliability.Prev Med. 2000; 31: S11-S33
- School Food Policies and Practices in New York City Public Schools.FASEB J. 2016; 30 (suppl 900.7)
- School resources and engagement in technical assistance programs is associated with higher prevalence of salad bars in elementary school lunches in the United States.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 417-426
- Validity and reliability of a simple, low-cost measure to quantify children’s dietary intake in afterschool settings.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 426-432
- A cognitive model of children’s reporting of food intake.Am J Clin Nutr. 1994; 59: 212S-217S
- Use of a brief food frequency questionnaire for estimating daily number of servings of fruits and vegetables in a minority adolescent population.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 1785-1789
- Factors related to the accuracy of self-reported dietary intake of children aged 6 to 12 years elicited with interviews: A systematic review.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 116: 76-114
- On the accuracy of self-report instruments for measuring food consumption in the school setting.Adv Nutr. 2017; 8: 635-636
- Validation of the school lunch recall questionnaire to capture lunch intake of third- to fifth-grade students.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 419-424
Koch P, Wolf R, Graziose M, Gray HL, Trent R, Uno C. FoodCorps: Creating Healthy School Environments. Laurie M. Tisch Center for Food, Education & Policy; New York, NY. https://foodcorps.org/cms/assets/uploads/2016/06/FoodCorps-Creating-Healthy-School-Environments-Teachers-College.pdf. Accessed September 22, 2017.
- Reliability and validity of digital imaging as a measure of children’s fruit and vegetable consumption.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1359-1366
- Digital photography as a tool to measure school cafeteria consumption.J Sch Health. 2004; 78: 432-437
- Farm to elementary school programming increases access to fruits and vegetables and increases their consumption among those with low intake.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 341-349
- Assessment of interobserver relability in nutrition studies that use direct observation of school meals.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 1385-1392
- Validation of a group-administered pictorial dietary recall with 9- to 11-year old children.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011; 43: 50-54
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
SPSS Statistics, Version 24. IBM Corporation. Armonk, NY; 2016.
- Reliability and accuracy of real-time visualization techniques for measuring school cafeteria tray waste: Validating the quarter-waste method.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 470-474
- Factors related to fruit and vegetable consumption at lunch among elementary students: A scoping review.Prev Chronic Dis. 2018; 15: 170373
- Designing and Using Tools for Educational Assessment.Allyn & Bacon/Pearson, Boston, MA2003
- Determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among children and adolescents: A review of the literature. Part I: Quantitative studies.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2006; 3: 22
- Nutrition Education: Linking Research, Theory and Practice.3rd edition. Jones & Bartlett Learning, Burlington, MA2016
- Twenty-four hour dietary recalls by fourth-grade children were not influenced by observations of school meals.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 878-885
Supplementary materials: The Figure and Table 2 are available at www.jandonline.org
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was funded by FoodCorps, Inc.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS M. M. Graziose drafted the manuscript, led data collection, and conducted statistical analyses. H. L. Gray contributed to data cleaning, coding, and statistical analyses. R. L. Wolf, P. A. Koch, and I. R. Contento obtained funding for the study, conceptualized the study design, and oversaw all study activities. All authors contributed to the development of the questionnaire instrument that is the subject of this study and to the writing of the manuscript.