- Ryan A.M.
- Power D.G.
- Daly L.
- Cushen S.J.
- Ni Bhuachalla E.
- Prado C.M.
- Arends J.
- Baracos V.
- Bertz H.
- et al.
- Kang M.C.
- Kim J.H.
- Ryu S.W.
- et al.
- Kono T.
- Sakamoto K.
- Shinden S.
- Ogawa K.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Cancer-associated malnutrition, cachexia and sarcopenia: The skeleton in the hospital closet 40 years later.Proc Nutr Soc. 2016; 75: 199-211
- ESPEN expert group recommendations for action against cancer-related malnutrition.Clin Nutr. 2017; 36: 1187-1196
- Prevalence of malnutrition in hospitalized patients: A multicenter cross-sectional study.J Korean Med Sci. 2018; 33: e10
- Pre-therapeutic nutritional assessment for predicting severe adverse events in patients with head and neck cancer treated by radiotherapy.Clin Nutr. 2017; 36: 1681-1685
- Examining Access to Nutrition Care in Outpatient Cancer Centers: Proceedings of a Workshop.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2016
- Prevalence of outpatient cancer treatment in the United States: Estimates from the Medical Panel Expenditures Survey (MEPS).Cancer Invest. 2008; 26: 647-651
- The Joint Commission: Nutritional, Functional, and Pain Assessments and Screens. Vol 2014. The Joint Commission, Oakbrook Terrace, IL2008
- Defining and developing an oncology nutrition program in a cancer center.in: Leser M. Ledesma N. Bergerson S. Trujillo E. Oncology Nutrition for Clinical Practice. Oncology Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Chicago, IL2013: 47-51
American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer. Cancer Program Standards 2012: Ensuring Patient-Centered Care. Chicago, IL: American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
- The Association of Community Cancer Centers.Cancer Nutrition Services: A Practical Guide for Cancer Programs. The Association of Community Cancer Centers, Rockville, MD2012
- A.S.P.E.N. clinical guidelines: nutrition support therapy during adult anticancer treatment and in hematopoietic cell transplantation.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2009; 33: 472-500
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. http://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/Topic. Accessed December 18, 2017.
- Patient management framework. Head and neck tumour stream: larynx, pharynx and oral cancer.Metropolitan Health and Aged Care Services Division, Victorian Government Department of Human Services, State of Victoria2006Accessed December 18, 2017)
- About.COSA, Sydney NSW2016Accessed January 4, 2018)
- Blueprint for Growth II: Evaluating Staffing Models. The Advisory Board Company, Washington DC2009
- Board certification: specialist in oncology nutrition “CSO.”.Oncol Nut Connect. 2008; 16: 5-10
- Availability of outpatient clinical nutrition services for patients with cancer undergoing treatment at comprehensive cancer centers.J Oncol Pract. 2015; 11: 1-5
- Cachexia as a major underestimated and unmet medical need: Facts and numbers.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2010; 1: 1-5
- Prevalence of malnutrition in patients at first medical oncology visit: the PreMiO study.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 79884-79896
- Association between cachexia, chemotherapy and outcomes in older cancer patients: A systematic review.Clin Nutr. 2017; 36: 1473-1482
- Prognostic effect of weight loss prior to chemotherapy in cancer patients. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group.Am J Med. 1980; 69: 491-497
- Cachexia in cancer patients.Nat Rev Cancer. 2002; 2: 862-871
- Evidence Analysis Library: Oncology evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guidelines.Accessed December 18, 2017)
- Preoperative prognostic nutritional index is a significant predictor of survival in patients with localized upper tract urothelial carcinoma after radical nephroureterectomy.Urol Oncol. 2017; 35: 671.e671-671.e679
- Prognostic nutritional index predicts initial response to treatment and prognosis in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer patients treated with abiraterone.Prostate. 2017; 77: 1233-1241
- Preoperative prognostic nutritional index is a powerful predictor of prognosis in patients with stage III ovarian cancer.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 9548
- Cancer cachexia in the age of obesity: skeletal muscle depletion is a powerful prognostic factor, independent of body mass index.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 1539-1547
- Association of systemic inflammation and sarcopenia with survival in nonmetastatic colorectal cancer: results from the C SCANS Study.JAMA Oncol. 2017; 3: e172319
- Sarcopenia and cachexia in the era of obesity: clinical and nutritional impact.Proc Nutr Soc. 2016; 75: 188-198
- Predictors of early death risk in older patients treated with first-line chemotherapy for cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 1829-1834
- Predictors of 1-year mortality in a prospective cohort of elderly patients with cancer.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015; 70: 1148-1155
- Underweight status at diagnosis is associated with poorer outcomes in adult patients with acute myeloid leukemia: A retrospective study of JALSG AML 201.Ann Hematol. 2018; 97: 73-81
- Individualized nutrition intervention is of major benefit to colorectal cancer patients: Long-term follow-up of a randomized controlled trial of nutritional therapy.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 1346-1353
- Does dietary counseling improve quality of life in cancer patients? A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Support Oncol. 2008; 6: 234-237
- Forcing the vicious circle: sarcopenia increases toxicity, decreases response to chemotherapy and worsens with chemotherapy.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 2107-2118
- Nutritional status is a predictor of outcome in cancer patients, irrespective of stage.Intern Emerg Med. 2017; 12: 135-136
- Effect of nutritional risk at admission on the length of hospital stay and mortality in gastrointestinal cancer patients.Clin Nutr Res. 2013; 2: 12-18
- Why do patients with weight loss have a worse outcome when undergoing chemotherapy for gastrointestinal malignancies?.Eur J Cancer. 1998; 34: 503-509
- Role of nutritional status in predicting quality of life outcomes in cancer—A systematic review of the epidemiological literature.Nutr J. 2012; 11: 27
- Functional decline in older patients with cancer receiving first-line chemotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 3877-3882
- Clinical value of nutritional status in cancer: what is its impact and how it affects disease progression and prognosis?.Nutr Cancer. 2017; 69: 1151-1176
- Nutritional status in the era of target therapy: poor nutrition is a prognostic factor in non-small cell lung cancer with activating epidermal growth factor receptor mutations.Korean J Intern Med. 2016; 31: 1140-1149
- Predicting the risk of chemotherapy toxicity in older patients: the Chemotherapy Risk Assessment Scale for High-Age Patients (CRASH) score.Cancer. 2012; 118: 3377-3386
- Sarcopenia as a determinant of chemotherapy toxicity and time to tumor progression in metastatic breast cancer patients receiving capecitabine treatment.Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15: 2920-2926
- Compliance with nutrition prescription improves outcomes in patients with unresectable pancreatic cancer.Clin Nutr. 2005; 24: 998-1004
- Nutrition support improves patient outcomes, treatment tolerance and admission characteristics in oesophageal cancer.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2005; 17: 639-645
- Dietary counseling improves patient outcomes: A prospective, randomized, controlled trial in colorectal cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 1431-1438
- Cancer wasting and quality of life react to early individualized nutritional counselling!.Clin Nutr. 2007; 26: 7-15
- Nutrition intervention is beneficial in oncology outpatients receiving radiotherapy to the gastrointestinal or head and neck area.Br J Cancer. 2004; 91: 447-452
- Nutritional counseling and nutritional supplements: a cornerstone of multidisciplinary cancer care for cachectic patients.Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. 2013; 7: 390-395
- Dietary counseling is beneficial for the patient with cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 1348-1349
- Early nutritional intervention improves treatment tolerance and outcomes in head and neck cancer patients undergoing concurrent chemoradiotherapy.Support Care Cancer. 2010; 18: 837-845
- Nutritional intervention and quality of life in adult oncology patients.Clin Nutr. 2007; 26: 289-301
- Cost-effectiveness of the implementation of an enhanced recovery protocol for colorectal surgery.Br J Surg. 2013; 100: 1108-1114
- Effect of nutritional interventions on nutritional status, quality of life and mortality in patients with head and neck cancer receiving (chemo)radiotherapy: A systematic review.Clin Nutr. 2013; 32: 671-678
- Prevalence of malnutrition and current use of nutrition support in patients with cancer.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2014; 38: 196-204
- Randomised controlled trial of early prophylactic feeding vs standard care in patients with head and neck cancer.Br J Cancer. 2017; 117: 15-24
- Influence of a nutritional intervention on dietary intake and quality of life in cancer patients: A randomized controlled trial.Nutrition. 2013; 29: 1342-1349
- Nutritional advice in older patients at risk of malnutrition during treatment for chemotherapy: A two-year randomized controlled trial.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e108687
- Intensive nutritional care for patients treated with radiotherapy in head and neck cancer: A randomized study and meta-analysis.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2017; 274: 977-987
- Dietary counselling with or without oral nutritional supplements in the management of malnourished patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2012; 25: 411-426
- NUTRISCORE: A new nutritional screening tool for oncological outpatients.Nutrition. 2017; 33: 297-303
- The prognostic nutritional index is a predictive indicator of prognosis and postoperative complications in gastric cancer: A meta-analysis.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016; 42: 1176-1182
- Diagnostic test accuracy of nutritional tools used to identify undernutrition in patients with colorectal cancer: A systematic review.JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2015; 13: 141-187
- Validation of nutritional risk index method against patient-generated subjective global assessment in screening malnutrition in colorectal cancer patients.Chin J Cancer Res. 2013; 25: 544-548
- Energy balance and metabolism after cancer treatment.Semin Oncol. 2013; 40: 745-756
- Evidence suggesting that obesity prevention measures may improve prostate cancer outcomes using data from a prospective randomized trial.Prostate Cancer. 2014; 2014: 478983
- Obesity in adult lymphoma survivors.Leuk Lymphoma. 2012; 53: 569-574
- A cross-sectional study of overweight in pediatric survivors of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011; 57: 1204-1209
- Weight gain in breast cancer survivors: Prevalence, pattern and health consequences.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: 282-294
- Postdiagnosis change in bodyweight and survival after breast cancer diagnosis.Epidemiology. 2012; 23: 320-327
- Preoperative weight change and risk of adverse outcome following radical prostatectomy: Results from the Shared Equal Access Regional Cancer Hospital database.Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2011; 14: 361-366
- Weight gain after breast cancer diagnosis and all-cause mortality: Systematic review and meta-analysis.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015; 107: djv275
- Obesity and survival in the neoadjuvant breast cancer setting: role of tumor subtype in an ethnically diverse population.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 167: 277-288
- Associations of alcohol intake, smoking, physical activity and obesity with survival following colorectal cancer diagnosis by stage, anatomic site and tumor molecular subtype.Int J Cancer. 2018; 142: 238-250
- Obesity, physical activity, and breast cancer survival among older breast cancer survivors in the Cancer Prevention Study-II Nutrition Cohort.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 167: 133-145
- Pre-diagnostic anthropometry and survival after colorectal cancer diagnosis in Western European populations.Int J Cancer. 2014; 135: 1949-1960
- Sarcopenia in an overweight or obese patient is an adverse prognostic factor in pancreatic cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15: 6973-6979
- Prevalence and clinical implications of sarcopenic obesity in patients with solid tumours of the respiratory and gastrointestinal tracts: a population-based study.Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9: 629-635
- The obesity paradox in cancer: A review.Curr Oncol Rep. 2016; 18: 56
- Life style prevention of cancer recurrence: The yin and the yang.Cancer Treat Res. 2014; 159: 341-351
- Weight management and its role in breast cancer rehabilitation.Cancer. 2012; 118: 2277-2287
- Improvement of metabolism among obese breast cancer survivors in differing weight loss regimens.Obes Res. 2004; 12: 306-312
- Effectiveness of dietetic consultations in primary health care: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1941-1962
- Weight loss intervention for breast cancer survivors: A systematic review.Curr Breast Cancer Rep. 2013; 5: 222-246
- The Role of Obesity in Cancer Survival and Recurrence—Workshop Summary.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2012
- Questions and Answers on Dietary Supplements.Accessed February 1, 2018)
- The use of dietary supplements in oncology.Curr Oncol Rep. 2014; 16: 411
- Vitamin and mineral supplement use among US adults after cancer diagnosis: A systematic review.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 665-673
Li C, Hansen RA, Chou C, Calderon AI, Qian J. Trends in botanical dietary supplement use among US adults by cancer status: The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999 to 2014 [published online ahead of print December 6, 2017]. Cancer. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.31183.
- Vitamin, mineral, and multivitamin supplements for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer: U.S. Preventive services Task Force recommendation statement.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 558-564
- Undernutrition screening survey in 564,063 patients: patients with a positive undernutrition screening score stay in hospital 1.4 d longer.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 103: 1026-1032
- Relationship between nutritional status and the clinical outcomes of patients with and without neoplasms according to multiple correspondence analysis.Arq Gastroenterol. 2017; 54: 148-155
- Evaluation of nutritional status as an independent predictor of post-operative complications and morbidity after gastro-intestinal surgery.Clin Nutr ESPEN. 2015; 10: e129-e133
- Comparison of nutritional diagnosis methods and prediction of clinical outcomes in patients with neoplasms and digestive tract diseases.Clin Nutr. 2015; 34: 647-651
- An interdisciplinary nutrition support team improves clinical and hospitalized outcomes of esophageal cancer patients with concurrent chemoradiotherapy.Chin Med J (Engl). 2015; 128: 3003-3007
- Outcomes of undernutrition in patients in the community with cancer or cardiovascular disease.Proc Nutr Soc. 1999; 58: 655-661
- The medical care costs of obesity: An instrumental variables approach.J Health Econ. 2012; 31: 219-230
- The impact of Medicare coverage for anti-obesity interventions.IHS Markit. Accessed January 4, 2018)
- The clinical and economic consequences of obesity.Am J Manag Care. 2013; 19: s219-s228
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Revised 2017 standards of practice and standards of professional performance for registered dietitian nutritionists (competent, proficient, and expert) in oncology nutrition.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 736-748e.42
Cancer Guidelines Wiki. Evidence-Based Practice Guidelines for the Nutritional Management of Adult Patients with Head and Neck Cancer. https://wiki.cancer.org.au/australia/COSA: Head_and_neck_cancer_nutrition_guidelines. Sydney: Cancer Council Australia: Head and Neck Guideline Steering Committee. Accessed February 1, 2018.
- The role of dietary counseling and nutrition support in head and neck cancer patients.Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. 2012; 6: 438-445
- Nutritional considerations for head and neck cancer patients: A review of the literature.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013; 71: 1853-1860
- Nutritional management in head and neck cancer: United Kingdom National Multidisciplinary Guidelines.J Laryngol Otol. 2016; 130: S32-s40
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Revised 2017 Scope of Practice for the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 141-165
- American Cancer Society Guidelines on nutrition and physical activity for cancer prevention: Reducing the risk of cancer with healthy food choices and physical activity.CA Cancer J Clin. 2012; 62: 30-67
- Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective. AICR, Washington, DC2007
- Definition of standardized nutritional assessment and interventional pathways in oncology.Nutrition. 1996; 12: S15-S19
- Use of the scored Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) as a nutrition assessment tool in patients with cancer.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2002; 56: 779-785
- Validation of a malnutrition screening tool for patients receiving radiotherapy.Australas Radiol. 1999; 43: 325-327
- Development of a valid and reliable malnutrition screening tool for adult acute hospital patients.Nutrition. 1999; 15: 458-464
- Effects of a combination of beta carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 1150-1155
- Effect of selenium and vitamin E on risk of prostate cancer and other cancers: The Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT).JAMA. 2009; 301: 39-51
- Nutrigenomics in cancer: Revisiting the effects of natural compounds.Semin Cancer Biol. 2017; 46: 84-106
- Telehealth.Accessed February 1, 2018)
- Propelling the profession with outcomes and evidence: Building a robust research agenda at the Academy.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: S62-s78
- Research and the dietetics profession: Making a bigger impact.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 108-112
- Data mining in healthcare and biomedicine: A survey of the literature.J Med Syst. 2012; 36: 2431-2448
- Data mining applications in healthcare.J Healthc Inf Manag. 2005; 19: 64-72
- Toward international best outcomes: The shared path of the nutrition care process, informatics, and research translation.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1727-1730
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network.Accessed February 8, 2018)
- Accessed December 19, 2017)
- National Institutes of Health. Provocative questions: identifying perplexing problems to drive progress against cancer.Accessed December 18, 2017)
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There was no funding or support for this work.