Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Medicare’s post-acute care payment: An updated review of the issues and policy proposals. National Health Policy Forum, Issue Brief No. 847.The George Washington University, Washington, DC2015Accessed January 15, 2018)
- Transitions of Care in the Long-Term Care Continuum Clinical Practice Guideline.American Medical Directors Association, Columbia, MD2010
Long Term and Post-Acute Care. Long Term and Acute Care Health Information Technology Collaborative. http://www.ltpachealthit.org/content/about-long-term-and-post-acute-care. Accessed November 15, 2016.
- Long-term care providers and services users in the United States: Data from the National Study of Long-Term Care Providers, 2013-2014. National Center for Health Statistics.Vital Health Stat 3. 2016; 38 (1-105) (Accessed January 15, 2018): x-xii
Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics. Older Americans 2016: Key Indicators of Well-Being. https://agingstats.gov/docs/LatestReport/Older-Americans-2016-Key-Indicators-of-WellBeing.pdf. Published August 2016. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Connolly J. Continuing care retirement communities explained. AgingCare.com website. https://www.agingcare.com/Articles/Defining-Continuing-Care-Retirement-Communities-104569.htm. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Zarem JE, ed. Today’s continuing care retirement community (CCRC). American Senior Housing Association website. https://www.seniorshousing.org/filephotos/research/CCRC_whitepaper.pdf. Published July 2010. Accessed January 19, 2018.
Medicare.gov. Alternatives to nursing home. https://www.medicare.gov/nursinghomecompare/resources/nursing-home-alternatives.html. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Medicaid.gov. Home and Community-Based Services 1915 (c). https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/hcbs/authorities/1915-c/index.html. Accessed January 15. 2018.
Academy of Nutrition in Dietetics. Fact Sheet: RDNs Making an IMPACT. http://www.eatrightstore.org/product/D13C93EA-F7E5-40ED-B999-54253F2A96B2. Published January 2016. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICFs/IID). https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/CertificationandComplianc/ICFIID.html. Modified November 22, 2016. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Medicare.gov. PACE. https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/help-paying-costs/pace/pace.html. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Paying for Senior Care. Medicare/PACE/LIFE Program Provider List−2016. https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/longtermcare/resources/pace_medicare/provider_list.html. Updated March 2016. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Advance Copy−Revisions to State Operations Manual (SOM), Appendix PP. Revised Regulations and Tags. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/Downloads/Survey-and-Cert-Letter-17-07.pdf. Published November 9, 2016. Accessed January 15, 2018.
De Vreudg W. Postacute CDI: An introduction to long-term acute care hospitals. Association of Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialists website. http://www.acdis.org/system/files/resources/intro-ltc-hospital.pdf. Published December 2015. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE): Chapter 8: IDT, Assessment & Care Planning. https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Manuals/downloads/pace111c08.pdf. Issued June 9, 2011. Accessed January 15, 2018.
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Individualized nutrition approaches for older adults in health care communities.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1554-1563
Pioneer Network Food and Dining Clinical Standards Task Force. New Dining Practice Standards. https://www.pioneernetwork.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/The-New-Dining-Practice-Standards.pdf. Published August 2011. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Transgenerational Design Matters. Demographics of aging… http://transgenerational.org/aging/demographics.htm. Accessed January 15, 2018.
- Prevalence of multiple chronic conditions among US adults: Estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2010.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E65
US Department of Health and Human Services. A profile of older Americans: 2015. Administration for Community Living website. https://www.acl.gov/sites/default/files/Aging%20and%20Disability%20in%20America/2015-Profile.pdf. Accessed January 11, 2018.
- Nutritional vulnerability in older adults: A continuum of concerns.Curr Nutr Rep. 2015; 4: 176-184
Pioneer Network. Defining culture change. https://www.pioneernetwork.net/culture-change/what-is-culture-change/. Accessed January 15, 2018.
US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Reform of Requirements for Long- Term Care Facilities. Fed Reg. 2016;81(192). https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-10-04/pdf/2016-23503.pdf. Published October 4, 2016. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.Improving Medicare Post-Acute Care Transformation Act of 2014. http://www.eatrightpro.org/resource/practice/practice-resources/post-acute-care-management/impact-act. Accessed January 2018.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. IMPACT Act of 2014 & cross setting measures. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/Post-Acute-Care-Quality-Initiatives/IMPACT-Act-of-2014-and-Cross-Setting-Measures.html. Modified October 28, 2015. Accessed January 15, 2018.
- Post-acute care-the next frontier for controlling Medicare spending.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 692-694
- Critical role of nutrition in improving quality of care: An interdisciplinary call to action to address adult hospital malnutrition.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 1219-1237
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. Connecting health and care for the nation: A 10-year vision to achieve an interoperable health IT infrastructure. https://www.healthit.gov/sites/default/files/ONC10yearInteroperabilityConceptPaper.pdf. Accessed January 15, 2018.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Interoperability and Standards Committee. http://www.eatrightpro.org/resource/leadership/volunteering/committees-and-task-forces/interoperability-and-standards-committee. Accessed January 15, 2018.
- Anorexia of aging: A true geriatric syndrome.J Nutr Health Aging. 2012; 16: 422-425
- Anorexia of aging: Risk factors, consequences, and potential treatments.Nutrients. 2016; 8: 69
- Weight loss, exercise, or both and physical function in obese older adults.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1218-1229
- Loss of muscle mass and muscle strength in obese and non-obese adults.in: Bales C.W. Locher J.L. Saltzman E. Handbook of Clinical Nutrition and Aging. 3rd ed. Humana Press, New York, NY2015: 103
- Polypharmacy and nutritional status in older adults: A cross-sectional study.Drugs Aging. 2011; 28: 315-323
- Dorland’s Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Elsevier Health Sciences Division, New York2011
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition Terminology Reference Manual (eNCPT): Dietetics Language for Nutrition Care. [Malnutrition (undernutrition) (NC-4-1)]. https://ncpt.webauthor.com/pubs/idnt-en/codeNC-4-1. Accessed January 15, 2018.
- Adult starvation and disease-related malnutrition: A proposal for etiology-based diagnosis in the clinical practice setting from the International Consensus Guideline Committee.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2010; 34: 156-159
- Consensus statement of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics/American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition: Characteristics recommended for the identification and documentation of adult malnutrition (undernutrition).J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 730-738
- Prevalence and measures of nutritional compromise among nursing home patients: Weight loss, low body mass index, malnutrition, and feeding dependency, a systematic review of the literature.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 94-100
- Factors associated with weight loss, low BMI, and malnutrition among nursing home patients: A systematic review of the literature.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 649-655
- Haesler E. Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers: Quick Reference Guide. Cambridge Media, Osborne Park, Western Australia2014
- The role of nutrition for pressure ulcer management: National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, and Pan Pacific Pressure Injury Alliance White Paper.Adv Skin Wound Care. 2015; 28 (Accessed January 15, 2018): 175-188http://journals.lww.com/aswcjournal/Fulltext/2015/04000/The_Role_of_Nutrition_for_Pressure_Ulcer.7.aspx
- Post hospital syndrome—A condition of generalized risk.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 100-102
- Frequency of malnutrition in older adults: A multinational perspective using the mini nutritional assessment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 1734-1738
- A high prevalence of malnutrition in acute geriatric patients predicts adverse clinical outcomes and mortality within 12 months.e-SPEN J. 2013; 8: e120-e125
Pioneer Network Case Studies in Person-Directed Care. Wesley Village—A Story of Planetree Continuing Care Implementation. The Pioneer Network website. https://www.pioneernetwork.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Case-Studies-in-Person-Directed-Care.pdf. Accessed December 7, 2016.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Evidence Analysis Library. Evidence-based nutrition practice guideline on unintended weight loss in older adults. http://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?menu=5294. Published 2009. Accessed January 17, 2018.
- Prevalence of obesity among older adults in the United States, 2007–2010.NCHS Data Brief. 2012; (Accessed December 12, 2016): 1-8
- Obesity and pressure ulcers among nursing home residents.Med Care. 2013; 51 (Accessed January 17, 2018): 478-486
- Prevalence of moderate to severe obesity among U.S. nursing home residents, 2000-2010.Res Gerontol Nurs. 2015; 8: 173-178
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Evidence Analysis Library. Evidence-based nutrition practice guideline on adult weight management. http://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?menu=5276&cat=4690. Published 2014. Accessed January 17, 2018.
- Obesity paradox in elderly patients with cardiovascular diseases.Int J Cardiol. 2012; 155: 56-65
- Body mass index and survival in men and women aged 70 to 75.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 234-241
- Obesity and the obesity paradox in heart failure.Can J Cardiol. 2015; 31: 195-202
- The obesity paradox: Understanding the effect of obesity on mortality among individuals with cardiovascular disease.Prev Med. 2014; 62: 96-102
- Obesity paradox in people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with and without prior cardiovascular disease.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2014; 16: 317-325
- BMI and all-cause mortality in older adults: A meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 875-890
- Management of diabetes in long-term care and skilled nursing facilities: A Position Statement of the American Diabetes Association.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 308-318
- Diabetes in older adults: A consensus report.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 2342-2356
- Diabetes Management in the Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Setting Clinical Practice Guideline.American Medical Directors Association, Columbia, MD2015
American Diabetes Association. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes−2017. https://professional.diabetes.org/sites/professional.diabetes.org/files/media/dc_40_s1_final.pdf. Accessed September 30, 2017.
- Annual Data Report: 2017: Epidemiology of Kidney Disease in the United States.National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD2017Accessed January 19, 2018)
- Niedert K. Nutrition Care of the Older Adult: A Handbook for Nutrition Throughout the Continuum of Care. 3rd ed. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Chicago, IL2016: 107-115 (169-174)
- Restrictive diets in the elderly: Never say never again?.J Clin Nutr. 2010; 29: 170-174
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. High blood pressure fast facts. https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/facts.htm. Updated November 30, 2016. Accessed January 17, 2018.
- 2014 Evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: Report from the panel members appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8).JAMA. 2013; 311: 507-520
- Rehospitalization for heart failure: Predict or prevent?.Circulation. 2012; 126: 501-506
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Heart failure fact sheet. http://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fs_heart_failure.htm. Updated November 30, 2015. Accessed January 17, 2018.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition Care Manual. www.nutritioncaremanual.org. Accessed September 30, 2017.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Evidence Analysis Library. Evidence-based nutrition practice guideline on heart failure. https://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?menu=5289. Published 2017. Accessed January 17, 2018.
- Cardiovascular disease in older adults.in: Chernoff R. Geriatric Nutrition: The Health Care Professional’s Handbook. 4th ed. Jones and Bartlett Learning, Burlington, MA2014: 277-296
- Secondary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in older adults: A Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2013; 128: 2422-2466
- 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.Circulation. 2014; 129: S1-S45
US Department of Health and Human Services, US Department of Agriculture. Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Published December 2015. Accessed January 17, 2018.
- Effects of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)-style diet on fatal or nonfatal cardiovascular diseases-incidence: A systematic review and meta-analysis on observational prospective studies.Nutrition. 2013; 29: 611-618
- Dementia-related mealtime difficulties: Assessment and management in the long-term care setting.in: Bales C.W. Locher J.L. Saltzman E.S. Handbook of Clinical Nutrition and Aging. 3rd ed. Springer, New York, NY2014: 287-302
- Weight loss and Alzheimer’s disease: Temporal and aetiologic connections.Proc Nutr Soc. 2013; 72: 160-165
- American Geriatrics Society identified another five things that healthcare providers and patients should question.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014; 62: 950-960
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Ethical and legal issues in feeding and hydration.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 828-833
- Gastrotomy tube placement in patients with advanced dementia or near end of life.Nutr Clin Pract. 2014; 29: 829-840
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Practice tips: Reform requirements for the RDN in long term care facilities. http://www.eatrightpro.org/∼/media/eatrightpro%20files/practice/quality%20management/quality%20care%20basics/practicetipsreformrequirementsltcfacilities.ashx. Accessed January 16, 2018.
- American Dietetic Association: Standards of practice and standards of professional performance for registered dietitians (competent, proficient, and expert) in extended care settings.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 617-624.e27
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Revised 2017 scope of practice for the registered dietitian nutritionist.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 141-165
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Revised 2017 Standards of Practice in Nutrition Care and Standards of Professional Performance for registered dietitian nutritionists.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 132-140.e15
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Revised 2017 scope of practice for the nutrition and dietetics technician, registered.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 327-342
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. CMS Rules on Therapeutic Diet Orders. http://www.eatrightpro.org/resource/advocacy/quality-health-care/consumer-protection-and-licensure/faqs-cms-final-rule-related-to-therapeutic-diet-orders#q3. Accessed January 17, 2018.
This Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics position was adopted by the House of Delegates Leadership Team on October 26, 2017 and reaffirmed in June 2000; May 2004; July 2008; and March 2013. This position is in effect until December 31, 2025. Position papers should not be used to indicate endorsement of products or services. All requests to use portions of the position or republish in its entirety must be directed to the Academy at [email protected] .
Authors: Becky Dorner, RDN, LD, FAND, Becky Dorner & Associates, Inc, Dunedin, FL; Elizabeth K. Friedrich, MPH, RDN, CSG, LDN, FAND, NWCC, Friedrich Nutrition Consulting, Salisbury, NC.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST E. K. Friedrich receives consultancy fees from Becky Dorner & Associates, Inc. No potential conflict of interest was reported by B. Dorner.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.
Reviewers: Melissa Bernstein, PhD, RDN, LD, FAND (Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, North Chicago, IL); Shirley Chao, PhD, RD, LDN, FAND (MA Executive Office of Elder Affairs, Boston, MA); Feon Cheng, PhD, MPH, RDN, CHTS-CP (Academy Research, International and Scientific Affairs, Chicago, IL); Sharon Denny, MS, RD (formerly Academy Knowledge Center, Chicago, IL); Katie M. Dodd, MS, RDN, CSG, LD, FAND (VA Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center and Clinics, White City, OR); Sarah Picklo Halabu, RDN, LDN, CDE (Academy Publications and Resources, Chicago, IL); Dietitians in Health Care Communities dietetic practice group (Jamie Ritchie, MS, RD, CSG, LDN, Consultant Dietitian, Raleigh, NC); Healthy Aging dietetic practice group (Danielle Steighner, RDN, CSG, LDN, Golden Hill Nursing and Rehab, New Castle, PA).
Academy Positions Committee Workgroup: Mary J. Marian, DCN, RDN, CSO, FAND (chair) (University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ); Brenda E. Richardson, MA, RDN, LD, CD, FAND (Brenda Richardson, LLC, Salem, IN); Mary Ellen Posthauer, RDN, LD, CD, FAND (content advisor) (MEP Healthcare Dietary Services, Inc, Evansville, IN).
We thank the reviewers for their many constructive comments and suggestions. The reviewers were not asked to endorse this position or the supporting paper.