Participants and setting
Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
US Department of Agriculture. National School Lunch Program: Participation and lunches served. http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/pd/slsummar.pdf. 2016. Accessed January 20, 2016.
US Department of Agriculture. School Breakfast Program participation and meals served. http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/pd/sbsummar.pdf. 2016. Accessed January 20, 2016.
National Center for Education Statistics. Public School Enrollment. https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/pdf/Indicator_CGA/COE_CGA_2013_01.pdf. 2013. Accessed July 6, 2017.
US Department of Agriculture. School Breakfast Program participation and meals served. https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/pd/sbsummar.pdf. 2017. Accessed July 6, 2017.
- Committee on Nutrition Standards for Foods in Schools. Nutrition Standards for Foods in Schools: Leading the Way Toward Healthier Youth.The National Acadamies Press, Washington, DC2007
- The third School Nutrition Dietary Assessment Study: background and study design.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: S20-S30
US Department of Agriculture (USDA). School Meals: Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act. http://www.fns.usda.gov/school-meals/healthy-hunger-free-kids-act. 2014. Accessed April 2, 2015.
US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th ed. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf. 2010. Accessed February 7, 2018.
- Eating school lunch is associated with higher diet quality among elementary school students.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1817-1824
- Nutritional Quality of the Diets of US Public School Children and the Role of the School Meal Programs.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: S44-S56
- School meals participation and weekday dietary quality were associated after controlling for weekend eating among U.S. school children aged 6 to 17 years.J Nutr. 2013; 143: 714-721
- A food service intervention improves whole grain access at lunch in rural elementary schools.J Sch Health. 2014; 84: 212-219
- Associations between school meals offered through the National School Lunch Program and the School Breakfast Program and fruit and vegetable intake among ethnically diverse, low-income children.J Sch Health. 2010; 80: 487-492
- School meals: Types of foods offered to and consumed by children at lunch and breakfast.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: S67-S78
- Eating at school: How the national school lunch program affects children’s diets.Am J Agric Econ. 2003; 85: 1047-1061
- Does the National School Lunch Program improve children’s dietary outcomes?.Am J Agric Econ. 2011; 93: 1099-1130
- Poverty, food insecurity, and nutritional outcomes in children and adults.J Health Econ. 2004; 23: 839-862
- Impact of the new U.S. Department of Agriculture school meal standards on food selection, consumption, and waste.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 46: 388-394
- New school meal regulations increase fruit consumption and do not increase total plate waste.Child Obes. 2015; 11: 242-247
- Trends in the association of poverty with overweight among US adolescents, 1971-2004.JAMA. 2006; 295: 2385-2393
- The relationship of ethnicity, socioeconomic factors, and overweight in U.S. adolescents.Obes Res. 2003; 11: 121-129
- Operational implementation of the Healthy Communities Study: How communities shape children’s health.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 631-635
- Statistical design features of the Healthy Communities Study.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 624-630
- The Healthy Communities Study nutrition assessments: Child diet and the school nutrition environment.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 647-652
- Association between school food environment and practices and body mass index of US public school children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: S108-S117
National Cancer Institute. Dietary Screener Questionnaire in NHANES 2009-2010. http://appliedresearch.cancer.gov/nhanes/dietscreen/. 2014. Accessed August 1, 2017.
- Regression shrinkage and selection via the lasso.J R Stat Soc. 1996; 58: 267-288
SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc; 2013.
- Children’s Food Security and Intakes from School Meals.Mathematica Policy Research, Inc, Princeton, NJ2010
US Census Bureau. Selected Characteristics of Households by Total Money Income. https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/income-poverty/cps-hinc/hinc-01.2014.html. 2017. Accessed September 26, 2017.
- 2000 CDC Growth Charts for the United States: Methods and Development.DHHS, Washington, DC2002
- Disparities in pediatric obesity in the United States.Adv Nutr. 2011; 2: 23-31
Centers for Disease Control. National Center for Health Statistics. NHANES 2009-2010. https://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/ContinuousNhanes/Default.aspx?BeginYear=2009. 2009. Accessed September 26, 2017.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Research and Analysis, School Nutrition Dietary Assessment Study IV, Summary of Findings. https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/SNDA-IV_Findings_0.pdf. 2012. Accessed February 7, 2018.
- Neighborhood food environments and body mass index: the importance of in-store contents.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 214-219
- Diet, nutrition and the prevention of excess weight gain and obesity.Public Health Nutr. 2004; 7: 123-146
US Department of Health and Human Services and US Department of Agriculture. 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. 2015. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Accessed February 7, 2018.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Analysis, Nutrition and Evaluation, Children’s Diets in the Mid-1990s: Dietary Intake and Its Relationship with School Meal Participation, CN01-CD1. https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/ChilDiet.pdf. 2001. Accessed February 7, 2018.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Research, Nutrition and Analysis, School Nutrition Dietary Assessment Study-III: Vol. II: Student Participation and Dietary Intakes. https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/SNDAIII-Vol2.pdf. 2007. Accessed February 7, 2018.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Research was supported by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health under award no. K01HL131630 and by grant no. 73272 from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation through its Healthy Eating Research program. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health, Healthy Eating Research, or the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The funding sources had no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; and decision to submit the manuscript for publication.