Main outcome measurements
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- An evaluation of the prevalence of malnutrition in patients with cancer attending the outpatient oncology clinic.Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2006; 2: 80-86
- Tumor anorexia: Causes, assessment, treatment.Recent Results Cancer Res. 1991; 121: 249-259
- Relationship of nutritional status to length of stay, hospital costs, and discharge status of patients hospitalized in the medicine service.JAMA. 1997; 97: 975-978
- The impact of malnutrition on morbidity, mortality, length of hospital stay and costs evaluated through a multivariate model analysis.Clin Nutr. 2003; 22: 235-239
- Nutrition intervention is beneficial in oncology outpatients receiving radiotherapy to the gastrointestinal or head and neck area.Br J Cancer. 2004; 91: 446-452
- Updated evidence-based practice guidelines for the nutritional management of patients receiving radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy.J Nutr Diet. 2013; 70: 312-324
- ESPEN guidelines on nutrition in cancer patients.Clin Nutr. 2017; 36: 11-48
Cancer Guidelines Wiki. Evidence based practice guidelines for the nutritional management of adult patients with head and neck cancer. http://wiki.cancer.org.au/australia/COSA:Head_and_neck_cancer_nutrition_guidelines. Revised June 6, 2014. Accessed November 20, 2017.
The National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards. Standard 2: Partnering with Consumers, Safety and Quality Improvement Guide. https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/our-work/patient-and-consumer-centred-care/national-safety-and-quality-health-service-standard-2-partnering-with-consumers/Published October 2012. Accessed November 20, 2017.
Care Quality Commission. Joint Commission on Accreditation Manual for Hospitals: Regulation 14: Meeting nutritional and hydration needs http://www.cqc.org.uk/guidance-providers/regulations-enforcement/regulation-14-meeting-nutritional-hydration-needs. Published 2014. Revised May 29, 2017. Accessed October 10, 2017.
National Guideline Clearinghouse (NGC). Guideline summary: Oncology evidence-based nutrition practice guideline. In: National Guideline Clearinghouse (NGC): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). https://guideline.gov. Published August 01, 2013. Accessed October 10, 2017.
- Evidence based practice guidelines for the nutritional management of malnutrition in adult patients across continuum of care.J Nutr Diet. 2009; 66: 1-34
- How nutritional risk is assessed and managed in European hospitals: A survey of 21,007 patients’ findings from the 2007-2008 cross-sectional nutritionDay survey.Clin Nutr. 2010; 29: 552-559
- Nutrition care practices in hospital wards: Results from the Nutrition Care Day Survey 2010.Clin Nutr. 2012; 31: 995-1001
- Barriers and facilitators to undertaking nutritional screening of patients: A systematic review.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2013; 26: 211-221
- Use of an abridged scored Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (abPG-SGA) as a nutritional screening tool for cancer patients in an outpatient setting.Nutr Cancer. 2013; 65: 234-239
- Malnutrition self-screening by using MUST in hospital outpatients: Validity, reliability and ease of use.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 1000-1007
Institute of Medicine Committee on Quality of Health Care in America. Crossing the quality chasm: A new health system for the 21st century. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25057539. Revised 2001. Accessed October 10, 2017.
Department of Health. The NHS Constitution of England. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-nhs-constitution-for-england. Published March 2012. Revised October 14, 2015. Accessed October 10, 2017.
World Health Organization. Service delivery and safety: WHO framework on integrated people-centered health services. http://www.who.int/servicedeliverysafety/areas/people-centred-care/en/. Revised April 15, 2016. Accessed October 10, 2017.
Picker Institute (2016). Principles of Patient Centered Care. http://pickerinstitute.org/about/picker-principles/. Revised 2013. Accessed October 10, 2017.
- Development of a valid and reliable malnutrition screening tool for adult acute hospital patients.Nutrition. 1999; 15: 458-464
- Validation of a malnutrition screening tool for patients receiving radiotherapy.Australas Radiol. 1999; 43: 325-327
- Comparison of a novel, simple nutrition screening tools for adult oncology inpatients and the Malnutrition Screening Tool (MST) against the Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA).Support Care Cancer. 2015; 23: 47-54
- Nutrition screening tools: An analysis of the evidence.J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36: 292-298
- Which screening method is appropriate for older cancer patients at risk of malnutrition?.Nutrition. 2015; 31: 594-597
- Evaluation of nutritional screening and assessment methods for cancer associated malnutrition and cachexia.J Nutr Intermed Metab. 2016; : 21
- Rapid and reliable self-screening for nutritional risk in hospital outpatients using an electronic system.Nutrition. 2013; 29: 693-696
- Self-screening for malnutrition risk in outpatient inflammatory bowel disease using the Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool (MUST).JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2016; 40: 507-510
- The malnutrition screening tool in geriatric rehabilitation: A comparison of validity when completed by health professionals with and without screening training has implications for practice.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; (S2212-2672(17)30329-5)
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows [computer program]. Version 23. Armonk, NY: IBM Corp; 2014.
- Reliability of nutritional screening and assessment tools.Nutr Methodol. 2004; 20: 307-311
- “ScreenIT”: Computerized screening of swallowing, nutrition and distress in head and neck cancer patients during (chemo)radiotherapy.Oral Oncol. 2016; 54: 47-53
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare. Patient-centred care: Improving quality and safety by focusing care on patients and consumers. https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/PCCC-DiscussPaper.pdf. Revised September 2010. Accessed October 5, 2017.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study received no funding.