Participants and setting
Main outcome measures
Statistical analysis performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Comparison of dietary intake of overweight postpartum mothers practicing breastfeeding or formula feeding.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 67-74
- Correlates of dietary quality and weight retention in postpartum women.J Community Health Nurs. 2006; 23: 183-197
- Compliance with dietary guidelines and relationship to psychosocial factors in low-income women in late postpartum.J Am Diet Assoc. 2005; 105: 916-926
- Diet quality of Americans differs by age, sex, race/ethnicity, income, and education level.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 297-306
- Diet quality of overweight and obese mothers and their preschool children.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 1476-1483
- Mediators of improved child diet quality following a health promotion intervention: The Melbourne InFANT Program.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014; 11: 137
- Systematic review of lifestyle interventions to limit postpartum weight retention: implications for future opportunities to prevent maternal overweight and obesity following childbirth.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 792-805
- Healthy steps in an integrated delivery system: child and parent outcomes at 30 months.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 793-800
- Improving the life-course development of socially disadvantaged mothers: A randomized trial of nurse home visitation.Am J Public Health. 1988; 78: 1436-1445
- Effects of nurse home visiting on maternal and child functioning: age-9 follow-up of a randomized trial.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: e832-e845
- Effects of home visits by paraprofessionals and by nurses: age 4 follow-up results of a randomized trial.Pediatrics. 2004; 114: 1560-1568
- Delta Healthy Sprouts: A randomized comparative effectiveness trial to promote maternal weight control and reduce childhood obesity in the Mississippi Delta.Contemp Clin Trials. 2014; 38: 82-91
- Gestational weight gain: results from the Delta Healthy Sprouts comparative impact trial.J Pregnancy. 2016; : 1-12
- Physical activity changes during pregnancy in a comparative impact trial.Am J Health Behav. 2016; 40: 685-696
- Low rate of initiation and short duration of breastfeeding in a maternal and infant home visiting project targeting rural, Southern, African American women.Int Breastfeed J. 2017; 12: 1-11
- Maternal diet quality and nutrient intake in the gestational period: results from the Delta Healthy Sprouts comparative impact trial.Matern Health Neonatol Perinatol. 2016; 2: 8
SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4 (TS1M2). Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc; 2013.
Parents as Teachers National Center Inc. Parents as Teachers. http://www.parentsasteachers.org. Accessed April 12, 2017.
- Human agency in social cognitive theory.Am Psychol. 1989; 44: 1175-1184
- The transtheoretical model of health behavior change.Am J Health Promot. 1997; 12: 38-48
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 393-403
- A parent-focused intervention to reduce infant obesity risk behaviors: A randomized trial.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 652-660
- Using anticipatory guidance to provide early dental intervention.J Am Dent Assoc. 1995; 126: 1156-1163
- Active parenting: An evaluation of two Adlerian parent education programs.J Individ Psychol. 1999; 55: 359-364
- Use of community health workers in research with ethnic minority women.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2004; 336: 358-365
NDSR [computer program]. Version 2014. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Nutrition Coordinating Center; 2014.
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 569-580
- The development of scales to measure social support for diet and exercise behaviors.Prev Med. 1987; 16: 825-836
- The development of self-efficacy scales for health-related diet and exercise behaviors.Health Educ Res. 1988; 3: 283-292
- Results from USDA’s 1994-96 Diet and Health Knowledge Survey.US Department of Agriculture, Nationwide Food Survey Report No. 96-4, 2001
SnapSurveys [computer program]. Version 11. Portsmouth, NH: Snap Surveys Ltd; 2013.
- Dietary fructose consumption among US children and adults: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Medscape J Med. 2008; 10: 160
- Differences in correlates of energy balance in normal weight, overweight and obese adults.Obes Res Clin Pract. 2015; 9: 592-602
- Associations among physical activity, diet quality, and weight status in US adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015; 47: 743-750
- Longitudinal trends in diet and effects of sex, race, and education on dietary quality score change: the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 95: 580-586
- Psychometric Theory.2nd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY1978
- Relationship between diet cost and Healthy Eating Index 2010 scores among adults in the United States 2007-2010.Prev Med. 2015; 73: 70-75
- Relationship of social cognitive theory concepts to mothers’ dietary intake and BMI.Matern Child Nutr. 2011; 7: 241-252
- Nutrition education for postpartum women: A pilot study.J Prim Care Community Health. 2014; 5: 275-278
- Changes in food choice during a successful weight loss trial in overweight and obese postpartum women.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014; 22: 2517-2523
- Diet quality and weight change among overweight and obese postpartum women enrolled in a behavioral intervention program.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 54-62
US Department of Agriculture. ChooseMyPlate.gov. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/. Accessed March 8, 2014.
- Mississippi Communities for Healthy Living.Health Educ Behav. 2016; 44: 316-325
- The impact of eating frequency and time of intake on nutrient quality and body mass index: The INTERMAP Study, a population-based study.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 528-536
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.8th ed. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2015
- Quantity and variety in fruit and vegetable intake and risk of coronary heart disease.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 1514-1523
- Diet Quality of Americans by SNAP Participation Status: Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2007-2010.United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, 2015
- Dietary quality of Americans by Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program participation status: A systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 594-604
Bell J, Mora G, Hagan E, Rubin V, Karpyn A. Access to healthy food and why it matters: A review of the research. PolicyLink and the Food Trust; 2013. http://www.policylink.org/find-resources/library/access-to-healthy-food-and-why-it-matters. Accessed October 21, 2017.
- Neighborhood environments: Disparities in access to healthy foods in the U.S.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 36: 74-81
Ver Ploeg M, Mancino L, Todd JE, Clay DM, Scharadin B. Where do Americans usually shop for food and how do they travel to get there? Initial findings from the National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey. US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service; 2015. https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=79791. Accessed October 21, 2017.
- Contribution of food prices and diet cost to socioeconomic disparities in diet quality and health: A systematic review and analysis.Nutr Rev. 2015; 73: 643-660
- Neighborhood disparities in access to healthy foods and their effects on environmental justice.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 1644-1654
- Dietary patterns derived using exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis are stable and generalizable across race, region, and gender subgroups in the REGARDS Study.Front Nutr. 2014; 1: 29
- Underreporting of dietary energy intake in five populations of African diaspora.Br J Nutr. 2015; 113: 464-472
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by the US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service (Project 6401-5300-003-00D) and in-kind support from the Delta Health Alliance. The views expressed are solely those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy or position of the United States government.
The study is registered at clinicaltrials.gov (NCT01746394).