Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Prevalence of autism spectrum disorder among children aged 8 years—Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, 11 sites, United States, 2010.Surveillance Summaries. 2014; 63: 1-21
- Food selectivity in children with autism spectrum disorders and typically developing children.J Pediatr. 2010; 157: 259-264
- Food selectivity, mealtime behavior problems, spousal stress, and family food choices in children with and without autism spectrum disorder.J Autism Dev Disord. 2015; 45: 3308-3315
- Dietary supplementation in children with autism spectrum disorders: Common, insufficient, and excessive.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1237-1248
- Gastrointestinal symptoms in autism spectrum disorder: A meta-analysis.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: 872-883
- Acquisition of optimal bone mass in childhood and adolescence.Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 12: 22-28
- Bone mass acquisition in healthy children.Arch Dis Child. 2005; 90: 373-378
- Vitamin D in the general population of young adults with autism in the faroe islands.J Autism Dev Disord. 2014; 44: 2996-3005
- Reduced serum concentrations of 25-hydroxy vitamin D in children with autism: Relation to autoimmunity.J Neuroinflammation. 2012; 9: 201
- Bone density in peripubertal boys with autism spectrum disorders.J Autism Dev Disord. 2013; 43: 1623-1629
- Autistic enterocolitis: Fact or fiction?.Can J Gastroenterol. 2009; 23: 95-98
- Evaluation of bone mineral density in children receiving carbamazepine or valproate monotherapy.Acta Paediatr Taiwan. 2007; 48: 317-322
- Bone health in young women with epilepsy after one year of antiepileptic drug monotherapy.Neurology. 2008; 70: 1586-1593
- Bone mineral density in male adolescents with autism spectrum disorders and disruptive behavior disorder with or without antipsychotic treatment.Eur J Endocrinol. 2012; 167: 855-863
- Longitudinal examination of the skeletal effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and risperidone in boys.J Clin Psychiatry. 2015; 76: 607-613
- Prevalence of motor impairment in autism spectrum disorders.Brain Dev. 2007; 29: 565-570
- Physical activity and physical fitness of school-aged children and youth with autism spectrum disorders.Autism Res Treat. 2014; 2014: 312163
- Bone density in adolescents and young adults with autism spectrum disorders.J Autism Dev Disord. 2016; 46: 3387-3391
- Reduced bone cortical thickness in boys with autism or autism spectrum disorder.J Autism Dev Disord. 2008; 38: 848-856
- Nutrition, physical activity, and bone mineral density in youth with autistic spectrum disorders.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2012; 33: 618-624
- Bone microarchitecture in adolescent boys with autism spectrum disorder.Bone. 2017; 97: 139-146
- Bone accrual in males with autism spectrum disorder.J Pediatr. 2017; 181: 195-201.e196
- Bone fractures in children with autistic spectrum disorder.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2014; 35: 353-359
- Brief report: Bone fractures in children and adults with autism spectrum disorders.J Autism Dev Disord. 2015; 45: 881-887
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2000 growth charts for the United States: Improvements to the 1977 National Center for Health Statistics version.Pediatrics. 2002; 109: 45-60
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV-TR.4th ed. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC2000
- The autism diagnostic observation schedule-generic: A standard measure of social and communication deficits associated with the spectrum of autism.J Autism Dev Disord. 2000; 30: 205-223
- Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders.J Autism Dev Disord. 1994; 24: 659-685
Nutrition Data System for Research [computer program]. Version 2009. Minneapolis, MN: Nutrition Coordinating Center, University of Minnesota; 2009.
Nutrition Data System for Research [computer program]. Version 2014. Minneapolis, MN: Nutrition Coordinating Center, University of Minnesota; 2014.
- Development of a compendium of energy expenditures for youth.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2008; 5: 45
- Convergent validity and test-retest reliability of the oxford physical activity questionnaire for secondary school students.Behavior Change. 2008; 25: 23-34
Discovery A [computer program]. Version APEX 4.0.2. Bedford, MA: Hologic; 2014.
Statistical Analysis Software [computer program]. Version 9.4. Cary, NC: SAS Institute; 2013.
- Long-term protein intake and dietary potential renal acid load are associated with bone modeling and remodeling at the proximal radius in healthy children.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82: 1107-1114
- Dietary Reference Intakes for the macronutrients and energy: Considerations for physical activity.Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2006; 31: 74-79
- Amount and type of protein influences bone health.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87: 1567S-1570S
- Dietary protein: An essential nutrient for bone health.J Am Coll Nutr. 2005; 24: 526S-536S
- The effects of dietary protein on bone mineral mass in young adults may be modulated by adolescent calcium intake.J Nutr. 2007; 137: 2674-2679
- Dietary protein, calcium metabolism, and skeletal homeostasis revisited.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 78: 584S-592S
- Acid diet (high-meat protein) effects on calcium metabolism and bone health.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2010; 13: 698-702
- Nutrient intake in community-dwelling adolescent girls with anorexia nervosa and in healthy adolescents.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 84: 698-706
- Evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of gastrointestinal disorders in individuals with ASDs: A consensus report.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: S1-S18
- Recommendations for evaluation and treatment of common gastrointestinal problems in children with ASDs.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: S19-S29
- Incidence of gastrointestinal symptoms in children with autism: A population-based study.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: 680-686
- Are there more bowel symptoms in children with autism compared to normal children and children with other developmental and neurological disorders? A case control study.Autism. 2009; 13: 343-355
- Increased levels of Dickkopf-1 are indicative of Wnt/beta-catenin downregulation and lower osteoblast signaling in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus, contributing to lower bone mineral density.Osteoporos Int. 2017; 28: 945-953
- Bone mineral density in children and adolescents with juvenile diabetes: Selective measurement of bone mineral density of trabecular and cortical bone using peripheral quantitative computed tomography.Horm Res. 1995; 43: 173-175
- Mobility status and bone density in cerebral palsy.Arch Dis Child. 1996; 75: 164-165
- A comparison of direct versus self-report measures for assessing physical activity in adults: A systematic review.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2008; 5: 56
- Physical Activity Assessments for Health-Related Research.Human Kinetics Inc, Champaign, IL2002
- Limitations in the assessment of dietary energy intake by self-report.Metabolism. 1995; 44: 18-22
- Measurement of dietary intake in the UNC Alumni Heart Study. University of North Carolina.Prev Med. 2000; 31: 56-67
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This project was supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) under cooperative agreement UA3 MC11054—Autism Intervention Research Network on Physical Health. This information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by HRSA, DHHS, or the US Government. This work was conducted through the Autism Speaks Autism Treatment Network serving as the Autism Intervention Research Network on Physical Health. Further support came from National Institutes of Health grants 1 UL1 RR025758-0, UL1TR00102, and K24HD071843.