Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Effective population-wide public health interventions to promote sodium reduction.Can Med Assoc J. 2009; 181: 605-609
- Henney J.E. Taylor C.L. Boon C.S. NIH Sodium Reduction Strategy: Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Strategies to Reduce Sodium Intake in the United States. The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2010
- Sodium Reduction Strategy Recommendations from the Sodium Working Group.Canada: Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario2010https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/food-nutrition/healthy-eating/sodium/related-information/reduction-strategy/recommendations-sodium-working-group.html#a6(Accessed December 7, 2017)
- Low-sodium meat products: Retaining salty taste for sweet health.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2012; 52: 72-84
- Understanding sources of dietary phosphorus in the treatment of patients with chronic kidney disease.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 519-530
- Hidden phosphorus-enhanced meats: Part 3.J Ren Nutr. 2005; 15: E1-E4
- Extra-phosphate load from food additives in commonly eaten foods: A real insidious danger for renal patients.J Ren Nutr. 2011; 21: 303-308
- Contribution of food additives to sodium and phosphorus content of diets rich in processed foods.J Ren Nutr. 2014; 24: 13-19
- The prevalence of phosphorus-containing food additives in top-selling foods in grocery stores.J Ren Nutr. 2013; 23: 265-270
- Phosphorus-containing food additives and the accuracy of nutrient databases: Implications for renal patients.J Ren Nutr. 2007; 17: 350-354
- Dietary phosphorus restriction in dialysis patients: Potential impact of processed meat, poultry and fish products as protein sources.Am J Kidney Dis. 2009; 54: 18-23
- Physiological responses of human adults to foods containing phosphorus additives.J Nutr. 1977; 107: 42-50
- High dietary phosphorus intake is associated with all-cause mortality: Results from NHANES III.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 320-327
- Relations of serum phosphorus and calcium levels to the incidence of cardiovascular disease in the community.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 879-885
- Relation between serum phosphate and cardiovascular event rate in people with coronary disease.Circulation. 2005; 112: 2627-2633
- Strategies to reduce sodium consumption: A food industry perspective.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2009; 49: 841-851
- Reducing salt: A challenge for the meat industry.Meat Sci. 2006; 74: 188-196
- Sodium reduction in cooked meat products by using commercial potassium phosphate mixtures.J Agr Food Sci Finland. 2002; 11: 199-207
Health Canada, Bureau of chemical safety. Health Canada’s proposal to enable the use of tripotassium phosphate (potassium phosphate, tribasic), potassium tripolyphosphate, sodium potassium tripolyphosphate, and sodium potassium hexametaphosphate in various standardized and unstandardized foods. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/consult/nop-adm-0008/document-consultation-eng.php. Published September 11, 2014. Accessed September 21, 2017.
- Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 3-10
- Effects of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)-style diet on fatal or nonfatal cardiovascular diseases–incidence: A systematic review and meta-analysis on observational prospective studies.Nutrition. 2013; 29: 611-618
- Danger of salt substitutes that contain potassium in patients with renal failure.BMJ. 2003; 326: 35-36
- Life-threatening hyperkalemia from nutritional supplements: Uncommon or undiagnosed?.Am J Emerg Med. 2011; 29: 1237.e1-1237.e2
- Severe hyperkalemia due to the concomitant use of salt substitutes and ACE inhibitors in hypertension: A potentially life threatening interaction.J Hum Hyperten. 1999; 13: 717-720
NKF: National Kidney Foundation: Sodium and Your CKD Diet: How to Spice Up Your Cooking. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/sodiumckd Accessed September 21, 2017.
Food and Drug Administration. Changes to the Nutrition Facts Label. http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm. Revised June 19, 2017. Accessed August 16, 2017.
Health Canada. Food Labelling Changes. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/food-nutrition/food-labelling/nutrition-labelling/regulations-compliance.html Revised April 25, 2017. Accessed August 16, 2017.
Mintel International. Global Market Navigator Database. [database online]. Chicago, IL: Mintel Group Ltd; 2013.
- Clinical practice guidelines for bone metabolism and disease in chronic kidney disease.Am J Kidney Dis. 2003; 42: S1-S201
IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows [computer program]. Version 22.0. Armonk, NY: IBM Corp; 2013.
- Nutrition Therapy & Pathophysiology.2nd ed. Wadsworth Centgage Learning, Belmont, CA2007: 797
- Clinical practice guidelines on hypertension and antihypertensive agents in chronic kidney disease. Guideline 12: Use of diuretics in CKD.Am J Kidney Dis. 2004; 43: S206-S222
- Glucose modulation of the disposal of an acute potassium load in patients with end-stage renal disease.Am J Med. 1993; 94: 475-482
- Impaired extrarenal disposal of an acute oral potassium load in patients with end-stage renal disease on chronic hemodialysis.Miner Electrolye Metab. 1986; 12: 125-129
- Potassium balance in dialysis patients.Semin Dial. 2013; 26: 597-603
- Dietary potassium intake and mortality in long term hemodialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2010; 56: 338-347
- Availability of potassium on the nutrition facts panel of US packaged foods.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 828-829
- Target Salt 2025: A global overview of national programs to encourage the food industry to reduce salt in foods.Nutrients. 2014; 6: 3274-3287
- Sodium reduction and its effect on food safety, food quality and human health.Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf. 2010; 9: 44-56
- Hidden sources of phosphorus in the typical American diet: Does it matter in nephrology?.Semin Dial. 2003; 16: 186-188
- Phosphorus and potassium content of enhanced meat and poultry products: Implications for patients who receive dialysis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 4: 1370-1373
- Conflicting dietary advice for adhering to low-sodium and low-phosphorus diet.J Ren Nutr. 2006; 16: 332-336
- Sodium monitoring in commercially processed and restaurant foods.Am J Clin Nutr. 2015; 101: 622-631
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST F. Cho is an employee at Maxxam Analytics and has no financial interest in this research. No potential conflict of interest was reported by the other authors. The food products were chosen by the principal investigators at the University of Ottawa and Toronto.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Funding for this research was provided by a research grant from the Canadian Foundation of Dietetic Research.