Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Maternal and child undernutrition and overweight in low-income and middle-income countries.Lancet. 2013; 382: 427-451
- Gestational weight gain in relation to offspring obesity over the life course: A systematic review and bias-adjusted meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2014; 15: 338-347
- Gestational weight gain and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 115: 597-604
- Management of obesity in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 109: 419-433
- Weight gain in pregnancy and risk of maternal hyperglycemia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 201: 61.e1-61.e7
- Association between maternal body mass index during pregnancy, short-term morbidity, and increased health service costs: A population-based study.BJOG. 2014; 121: 72-81
- Maternal pre-pregnancy body mass index and risk of selected birth defects: Evidence of a dose-response relationship.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2013; 27: 521-531
- Genetic evidence for causal relationships between maternal obesity-related traits and birth weight.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1129-1140
- Maternal obesity: Implications for pregnancy outcome and long-term risks-a link to maternal nutrition.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2011; 115: S6-S10
- The risk of maternal obesity to the long-term health of the offspring.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2013; 78: 9-16
- Changing perspectives in pre-existing diabetes and obesity in pregnancy: Maternal and infant short- and long-term outcomes.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2014; 21: 257-263
- Epigenetic and developmental influences on the risk of obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2015; 8: 295-302
- Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 667-675
- Dietary sugars and body weight: Systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials and cohort studies.BMJ. 2012; 346: e7492
- Sweetening of the global diet, particularly beverages: Patterns, trends, and policy responses.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 174-186
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020. 8th ed. December 2015. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/. Accessed October 18, 2017.
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Nutrition and lifestyle for a healthy pregnancy outcome.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1099-1103
- Intake of carbohydrates during pregnancy in obese women is associated with fat mass in the newborn offspring.Am J Clin Nutr. 2015; 102: 1475-1481
- Intake of sweets, snacks and soft drinks predicts weight gain in obese pregnant women: Detailed analysis of the results of a randomised controlled trial.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10
- Dietary protein-to-carbohydrate ratio and added sugar as determinants of excessive gestational weight gain: A prospective cohort study.BMJ. 2015; 5
- Dietary patterns during pregnancy are associated with gestational weight gain.Matern Child Health J. 2016; 20: 2527-2538
- Perceptions of low-income African-American mothers about excessive gestational weight gain.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 1837-1843
- A qualitative study of motivators and barriers to healthy eating in pregnancy for low-income, overweight, African-American mothers.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 1175-1181
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/about_nhanes.htm. Accessed October 18, 2017.
- Statistical methods for estimating usual intake of nutrients and foods: A review of the theory.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1640-1650
SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc; 2013.
- Dietary sugars intake and cardiovascular health a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1011-1020
- Consumption of added sugars among U.S. adults, 2005–2010.NCHS Data Brief. 2013 May; : 1-8
- Household food insecurity is not associated with overall diet quality among pregnant women in NHANES 1999–2008.Matern Child Health J. 2016; 20: 2348-2356
- Pre-pregnancy weight status is associated with diet quality and nutritional biomarkers during pregnancy.Nutrients. 2016; 8: 162
- Dietary underreporting by obese individuals–is it specific or non-specific?.BMJ. 1995; 311: 986-989
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT C. E. Cioffi was funded by an institutional T32 training grant (NIH-DK007734) when the research was conducted.