Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Complementary Feeding: Report of the Global Consultation and Summary of Guiding Principles.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2002
- Executive summary: Evaluating the evidence base to support the inclusion of infants and children from birth to 24 mo of age in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans—“the B-24 Project.”.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 663S-691S
- Complementary feeding: A position paper by the European Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition (ESPGHAN) Committee on Nutrition.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2017; 64: 119-132
- Breastfeeding and the use of human milk.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: e827-e841
- Kleinman R.E. Greer F.R. Pediatric Nutrition Handbook. 7th ed. American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, IL2013
- Risk factors for childhood obesity in the first 1,000 days: A systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: 761-779
- Recommendations on complementary feeding for healthy, full-term infants.Ital J Pediatr. 2015; 41: 36
- Infant feeding and long-term outcomes: Results from the year 6 follow-up of children in the Infant Feeding Practices Study II.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: S1-S3
May L, Borger C, Weinfield N, et al. WIC Infant and Toddler Feeding Practices Study—2: Infant Year Report. Rockville, MD: Westat. https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/ops/WIC-ITFPS2-Infant.pdf. 2017. Accessed November 28, 2017.
- Prevalence and reasons for introducing infants early to solid foods: Variations by milk feeding type.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e1108-e1114
- Feeding infants and toddlers study: Improvements needed in meeting infant feeding recommendations.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: s31-s37
- Infant feeding and childhood atopy: Does early introduction of non-milk fluids matter?.Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2007; 18: 250-257
- Adherence to complementary feeding recommendations for infants and implications for public health.Public Health Nutr. 2016; 19: 638-649
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. 2009-2014 NHANES Response Rates and Population Totals. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/response_rates_cps.htm. 2015. Accessed November 28, 2017.
- Infant Nutrition and Feeding: A Guide for Use in the WIC and CSF Programs.US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2009
- WIC Income Eligibility Requirements.US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2016
- SAS [computer program]. Version 9.3. SAS Institute, Cary, NC2011
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Analytic Guidelines, 1999-2010.Vital Health Stat 2. 2013 Sep; : 1-24
- Introduction of solid food to young infants.Matern Child Health J. 2011; 15: 1185-1194
- Infant and maternal predictors of early life feeding decisions. The timing of solid food introduction.Appetite. 2015; 92: 261-268
- Breastfeeding and the use of human milk.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: E827-E841
- On the feeding of solid foods to infants.Pediatrics. 1958; 21
- Optimal timing for solids introduction—Why are the guidelines always changing?.Clin Exp Allergy. 2013; 43: 826-834
- Addendum guidelines for the prevention of peanut allergy in the United States: Report of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases-Sponsored Expert Panel.Pediatr Dermatol. 2017; 34: e1-e21
- WIC Infant and Toddler Feeding Practices Study: Protocol design and implementation.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 742s-746s
- Feeding Infants and Toddlers Study (FITS): Development of the FITS survey in comparison to other dietary survey methods.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: S12-S27
- Infant Feeding Practices Study II: Study methods.Pediatrics. 2008; 122: S28-S35
- Infant nutrition and lifelong health: Current perspectives and future challenges.J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2015; 6: 384-389
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.