Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Global cancer statistics, 2012.CA Cancer J Clin. 2015; 65: 87-108
Cancer facts & figures 2017. https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/cancer-org/research/cancer-facts-and-statistics/annual-cancer-facts-and-figures/2017/cancer-facts-and-figures-2017.pdf. Accessed January 31, 2017.
- AACR cancer progress report 2014.Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: S1-S11
- Following cancer prevention guidelines reduces risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and all-cause mortality.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011; 20: 1089-1097
- The growing challenge of obesity and cancer: An inflammatory issue.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011; 1229: 45-52
US Department of Health and Human Services and the US Department of Agriculture. 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/. Accessed February 2, 2017.
- Adult weight gain and adiposity-related cancers: A dose-response meta-analysis of prospective observational studies.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015; 107 (pii: djv088)
- Aflatoxin: A 50-year odyssey of mechanistic and translational toxicology.Toxicol Sci. 2011; 120: S28-S48
- Cancer, obesity, diabetes, and antidiabetic drugs: Is the fog clearing?.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2017; 14: 85-99
- Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective.American Institute for Cancer Research, Washington, DC2007
World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research. Continuous Update Project (CUP). http://www.wcrf.org/int/research-we-fund/continuous-update-project-cup. Accessed January 23, 2017.
- Vegetarianism and breast, colorectal and prostate cancer risk: An overview and meta-analysis of cohort studies.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2016; 30: 349-359
- Diet, body size, physical activity and risk of prostate cancer: An umbrella review of the evidence.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 69: 61-69
- Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective.American Institute for Cancer Research, Washington, DC1997
- Population attributable risk of modifiable and nonmodifiable breast cancer risk factors in postmenopausal breast cancer.Am J Epidemiol. 2016; 184: 884-893
- Fruits and vegetables: Updating the epidemiologic evidence for the WCRF/AICR lifestyle recommendations for cancer prevention.Cancer Treat Res. 2014; 159: 35-50
- Adherence to the World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research guidelines and risk of death in Europe: Results from the European Prospective Investigation into Nutrition and Cancer Cohort Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 97: 1107-1120
- Population attributable risk of invasive postmenopausal breast cancer and breast cancer subtypes for modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors.Cancer Epidemiol. 2011; 35: 345-352
- Meta-analyses of colorectal cancer risk factors.Cancer Causes Control. 2013; 24: 1207-1222
- Dietary fibre intake and risks of cancers of the colon and rectum in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition (EPIC).PLoS One. 2012; 7: e39361
- Modeling the prevention of colorectal cancer from the combined impact of host and behavioral risk factors.Genet Med. 2017; 19: 314-321
- Dietary fibre, whole grains, and risk of colorectal cancer: Systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies.BMJ. 2011; 343: d6617
- The challenge of reproducibility and accuracy in nutrition research: Resources and pitfalls.Adv Nutr. 2016; 7: 383-389
- Structure of dietary measurement error: Results of the OPEN biomarker study.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 158: 14-21
- The National Cancer Institute's dietary assessment primer: A resource for diet research.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1986-1995
- Diet, nutrition, and cancer: Past, present and future.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2016; 13: 504-515
- The levels of evidence and their role in evidence-based medicine.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011; 128: 305-310
- Policy: NIH plans to enhance reproducibility.Nature. 2014; 505: 612-613
National Institutes of Health. Rigor and reproducibility. https://www.nih.gov/research-training/rigor-reproducibility. Accessed January 23, 2017.
- Inter-individual differences in response to dietary intervention: Integrating omics platforms towards personalised dietary recommendations.Proc Nutr Soc. 2013; 72: 207-218
- Calcium plus vitamin D supplementation and the risk of colorectal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 684-696
- Effects of a combination of beta carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 1150-1155
- Towards establishing dietary reference intakes for eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids.J Nutr. 2009; 139: 804S-819S
- Of mice and humans: Are they the same? Implications in cancer translational research.J Nucl Med. 2010; 51: 501-504
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Revised 2012 standards of practice in nutrition care and standards of professional performance for registered dietitians.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: S29-S45
- Regulation of cancer cell metabolism.Nat Rev Cancer. 2011; 11: 85-95
- Is concordance with World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research guidelines for cancer prevention related to subsequent risk of cancer? Results from the EPIC study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 150-163
- American Cancer Society Guidelines on nutrition and physical activity for cancer prevention: Reducing the risk of cancer with healthy food choices and physical activity.CA Cancer J Clin. 2012; 62: 30-67
- Adherence to cancer prevention guidelines and cancer incidence, cancer mortality, and total mortality: A prospective cohort study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2015; 101: 558-569
- Nutrition and physical activity cancer prevention guidelines, cancer risk, and mortality in the Women's Health Initiative.Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2014; 7: 42-53
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN guidelines version 2.2016: Healthy lifestyles. https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/survivorship.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2017.
- Survivorship: Nutrition and weight management, version 2.2014. Clinical practice guidelines in oncology.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2014; 12: 1396-1406
- Nutrition and physical activity guidelines for cancer survivors.CA Cancer J Clin. 2012; 62: 243-274
- Oncology Nutrition for Clinical Practice Oncology.1st ed. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Chicago, IL2013
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Evidence analysis library. https://www.andeal.org. Accessed June 16, 2017.
- Research: Successful Approaches.3rd ed. American Dietetic Association, Chicago, IL2007
National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health. NIA clinical research toolbox. https://www.nia.nih.gov/research/dgcg/clinical-research-study-investigators-toolbox. Accessed August 31, 2017.
National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, National Institutes of Health. NCCIH clinical research toolbox. https://nccih.nih.gov/grants/toolbox. Accessed August 31, 2017.
National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health. Regulation of genetic tests. https://www.genome.gov/10002335/regulation-of-genetic-tests. Accessed June 7, 2017.
American Medical Association. Genetic testing. https://www.ama-assn.org/content/genetic-testing. Accessed August 31, 2017.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor testing in breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 118-125
- Hereditary breast cancer: An update on risk assessment and genetic testing in 2015.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 161-165
US Food and Drug Administration. List of cleared or approved companion diagnostic devices (in vitro and imaging tools). https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/InVitroDiagnostics/ucm301431.htm. Accessed September 5, 2017.
- A hierarchy of evidence for assessing qualitative health research.J Clin Epidemiol. 2007; 60: 43-49
- Hierarchy of evidence and appraisal of limitations (HEAL) grading system.Eval Program Plann. 2015; 48: 149-159
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Preparation of this article was supported by the National Cancer Institute and the Office of Disease Prevention, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD.