Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Guide To Measuring Household Food Security, Revised 2000.US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Alexandria, VA2000
Coleman-Jensen A, Rabbitt MP, Gregory CA, Singh A. Household Food Security in the United States in 2015. US Dept of Agriculture; 2016. Economic Research Report 215.
- Map the Meal Gap 2016.Feeding America, Chicago, IL2016
- Nutrition Care Process and Model update: Toward realizing people-centered care and outcomes management.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 2003-2014
- Food insecurity and dietary quality in US adults and children: A systematic review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 684-692
- Chronic physical and mental health conditions among adults may increase vulnerability to household food insecurity.J Nutr. 2013; 143: 1785-1793
- Food insecurity is associated with hypoglycemia and poor diabetes self-management in a low-income sample with diabetes.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2010; 21: 1227-1233
- Hunger and socioeconomic disparities in chronic disease.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 6-9
- Dietary intakes and serum nutrients differ between adults from food-insufficient and food-sufficient families: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994.J Nutr. 2001; 131: 1232-1246
- Poverty, food insecurity, and nutritional outcomes in children and adults.J Health Econ. 2004; 23: 839-862
- The food insecurity–obesity paradox: A review of the literature and the role food stamps may play.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1952-1961
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Food insecurity in the United States.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1368-1377
- Gender disparities in the food insecurity-overweight and food insecurity-obesity paradox among low-income older adults.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1087-1096
- Food security and metabolic syndrome in US adults and adolescents: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2006.Ann Epidemiol. 2010; 20: 364-370
- Food insecurity and chronic disease.Adv Nutr. 2013; 4: 203-212
- Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 304-310
- Food insecurity and glycemic control among low-income patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 233-238
- Food insecurity and hunger: A review of the effects on children’s health and behaviour.Paediatr Child Health. 2015; 20: 89-91
- Are food insecurity’s health impacts underestimated in the US population? Marginal food security also predicts adverse health outcomes in young US children and mothers.Adv Nutr. 2013; 4: 51-61
- Reading, Writing, and Hungry: The Consequences of Food Insecurity on Children, and on Our Nation’s Economic Success.Partnership for America's Economic Success, Washington, DC2008
- Impossible Choices: Teens and Food Insecurity in America.The Urban Institue and Feeding America, Washington, DC2016
- Nutrition Care Process and Model: ADA adopts road map to quality care and outcomes management.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1061-1072
- Measuring the extent, depth, and severity of food insecurity: An application to American Indians in the USA.J Popul Econ. 2008; 21: 191-215
- Food insecurity among households with working-age adults with disabilities.US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2013
- Promoting food security for all children.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: e1431-e1438https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-3301
Pooler J, Levin M, Hoffman V, Karva F, Lewin-Zwerdling A. Implementing food security screening for older patients in primary care: A resource guide and toolkit. AARP Foundation & IMPAQ International; 2016. http://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/aarp_foundation/2016-pdfs/FoodSecurityScreening.pdf. Accessed September 27, 2017.
- Brief assessment of food insecurity accurately identifies high-risk US adults.Public Health Nutr. 2017; 20: 1367-1371
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition Terminology Reference Manual (eNCPT): Dietetics Language for Nutrition Care. http://ncpt.webauthor.com. Accessed November 27, 2017.
- Food insecurity is associated with nutrient inadequacies among Canadian adults and adolescents.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 604-612
- Oral health disparities and food insecurity in working poor Canadians.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2009; 37: 294-304
- Increased rates and severity of child and adult food insecurity in households with adult smokers.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2008; 162: 1056-1062
- High prevalence of food insecurity among HIV-infected individuals receiving HAART in a resource-rich setting.AIDS Care. 2011; 23: 221-230
- Chronic health conditions and depressive symptoms strongly predict persistent food insecurity among rural low-income families.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2012; 23: 1174-1188
- Food insecurity is inversely associated with diet quality of lower-income adults.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1943-1953.e1942
- Consensus statement: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition.J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36: 275-283
- Hierarchy of food needs.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: S187-S188
Tulsa CARES. Our story. http://www.tulsacares.org/our-story/. Accessed February 1, 2017.
NCP Step 1: Nutrition Assessment. In: Bates T, Rising C, eds. Public Health/Community Nutrition Nutrition Care Process (NCP) Toolkit. Chicago, IL: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; 2012.
Just Say Yes to Fruits & Vegetables. About. 2017; http://jsyfruitveggies.org/about/. Accessed August 12, 2017.
- Hunger in America 2014: National Report Prepared for Feeding America.Westat, and Washington, DC: Urban Institute, Rockville, MD2014 (http://help.feedingamerica.org/HungerInAmerica/hunger-in-america-2014-full-report.pdf. Accessed September 27, 2017)
- Critical review: Vegetables and fruit in the prevention of chronic diseases.Eur J Nutr. 2012; 51: 637-663
- Fruit and vegetable intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus: Systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2010; 341
- Evaluating the public health impact of health promotion interventions: The RE-AIM framework.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 1322-1327
This article was written by Marianna S. Wetherill, PhD, MPH, RDN-AP/LD, an assistant professor, and Kayla Castleberry White, MPH, a research assistant, University of Oklahoma College of Public Health, Tulsa; and Christine Rivera, RDN, community health and nutrition manager, Network Engagement, Feeding America National Office, Chicago, IL.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Development time for this publication was supported by the National Institute of Mental Health of the National Institutes of Health under award no. 2R25MH083635 to the American Psychological Association, Tiffany G. Townsend, PhD, and Velma McBride Murry, PhD. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.