Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The skeleton in the hospital closet. 1974.Nutrition. 1994; 10 (discussion 435, 441): 435-441
- Consensus statement of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics/American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition: Characteristics recommended for the identification and documentation of adult malnutrition (undernutrition).J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 730-738
- Malnutrition and clinical outcomes: The case for medical nutrition therapy.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96 (369; quiz 367-368): 361-366
- Undiagnosed malnutrition and nutrition-related problems in geriatric patients.J Nutr Health Aging. 2010; 14: 387-392
- Diagnosis and treatment of (disease-related) in-hospital malnutrition: Tthe performance of medical and nursing staff.Clin Nutr. 2008; 27: 431-438
- Malnutrition is prevalent in hospitalized medical patients: Are housestaff identifying the malnourished patient?.Nutrition. 2006; 22: 350-354
- The impact of malnutrition on morbidity, mortality, length of hospital stay and costs evaluated through a multivariate model analysis.Clin Nutr. 2003; 22: 235-239
- Malnutrition is associated with increased mortality in older adults regardless of the cause of death.Br J Nutr. 2017; 117: 532-540
- Nutrition education in U.S. medical schools: Latest update of a national survey.Acad Med. 2010; 85: 1537-1542
- Nutrition coverage on medical licensing examinations in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 1997; 65: 568-571
- A deficiency of nutrition education in medical training.Am J Med. 2014; 127: 804-806
- Challenges and opportunities for nutrition education and training in the health care professions: Intraprofessional and interprofessional call to action.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 1184S-1193S
- Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980-2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2014; 384: 766-781
- Nutritional deficiencies in morbidly obese patients: A new form of malnutrition? Part A: Vitamins.Obes Surg. 2008; 18: 870-876
- Nutritional deficiencies in morbidly obese patients: A new form of malnutrition? Part B: Minerals.Obes Surg. 2008; 18: 1028-1034
- Sarcopenia, sarcopenic obesity and inflammation: Results from the 1999-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Clin Nutr. 2016; 35: 1472-1483
- Sarcopenia and cachexia in the era of obesity: Clinical and nutritional impact.Proc Nutr Soc. 2016; 75: 188-198
- Malnutrition care: Preparing for the next level of quality.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 852-855
- A comprehensive nutrition-focused quality improvement program reduces 30-day readmissions and length of stay in hospitalized patients.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2017; 41: 384-391
- “Never the twain shall meet:” Dual systems exacerbate malnutrition in older adults recently discharged from hospitals.J Nutr Gerontol Geriatr. 2011; 30: 24-28
- Undernutrition at baseline and health services utilization and mortality over a 1-year period in older adults receiving Medicare home health services.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: 287-294
- Nutrition screening and assessment in hospitalized patients: A survey of current practice in the United States.Nutr Clin Pract. 2014; 29: 483-490
- Critical role of nutrition in improving quality of care: An interdisciplinary call to action to address adult hospital malnutrition.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013; 37: 482-497
- Instructional Media and Technologies for Learning.6th ed. Merrill, Upper Saddle River, NJ1999
- Validation of the Academy/A.S.P.E.N. malnutrition clinical characteristics.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 856-864
ICD10Data.com. http://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/E00-E89/E40-E46. Accessed August 3, 2017.
Silver HJ. Malnutrition: YouTube; 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykit5uS6Krs. Accessed August 12, 2017.
- Measuring nominal scale agreement among many raters.Psychol Bull. 1971; 76: 378-382
- Nutrition Care Process and Model: ADA adopts road map to quality care and outcomes management.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1061-1072
- Readmission and mortality in malnourished, older, hospitalized adults treated with a specialized oral nutritional supplement: A randomized clinical trial.Clin Nutr. 2016; 35: 18-26
- Frequency of malnutrition in older adults: A multinational perspective using the mini nutritional assessment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 1734-1738
- Change of nutritional status assessed using subjective global assessment is associated with all-cause mortality in incident dialysis patients.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95: e2714
Hiller LD, Shaw RF, Fabri PJ. Difference in composite end point of readmission and death between malnourished and nonmalnourished veterans assessed using Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics/American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition clinical characteristics [published online ahead of print September 8, 2016]. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0148607116668523.
- Health system quality improvement: Impact of prompt nutrition care on patient outcomes and health care costs.J Nurs Care Qual. 2016; 31: 217-223
- Hospital malnutrition: Prevalence, identification and impact on patients and the healthcare system.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2011; 8: 514-527
- Secondary use of clinical data: The Vanderbilt approach.J Biomed Inform. 2014; 52: 28-35
- The Statistical Analysis System for program management.ASHA. 1983; 25: 37-40
- A position paper on how cost and quality reforms are changing healthcare in America: Focus on nutrition.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013; 37: 796-801
- What do resident physicians know about nutrition? An evaluation of attitudes, self-perceived proficiency and knowledge.J Am Coll Nutr. 2008; 27: 287-298
- Residency and specialties training in nutrition: A call for action.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 1174S-1183S
- Self-reported nutrition proficiency is positively correlated with the perceived quality of nutrition training of family physicians in Washington State.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 77: 1330-1336
- Scandinavian Nutrition Group. Management and perception of hospital undernutrition—a positive change among Danish doctors and nurses.Clin Nutr. 2007; 26: 371-378
- Insufficient nutritional knowledge among health care workers?.Clin Nutr. 2008; 27: 196-202
- Implementation of a web-based intervention targeting health care professionals to increase their knowledge regarding the implementation of nutritional screening and detecting malnutrition in the elderly.Clin Nutr ESPEN. 2016; 13: e59
- Development and validation of a hospital screening tool for malnutrition: The Short Nutritional Assessment Questionnaire (SNAQ).Clin Nutr. 2005; 24: 75-82
- Barriers and facilitators to undertaking nutritional screening of patients: A systematic review.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2013; 26: 211-221
- To screen or not to screen for adult malnutrition?.Clin Nutr. 2005; 24: 867-884
- Nutrition care given new importance in JCAHO standards.Nutr Clin Pract. 1995; 10: 26-31
Weiss AJ, Fingar KR, Barrett ML, et al. Characteristics of hospital stays involving malnutrition, 2013: Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project Statistical Briefs. Rockville, MD; 2006. Statistical Brief #210.
- Malnutrition diagnoses in hospitalized patients: United States, 2010.J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2014; 38: 186-195
- Interprofessional approach to improving malnutrition screening and diagnosis at a VA Medical Center.J Hosp Med. 2016; 11
- Nutritional risk profile in a university hospital population.Clin Nutr. 2015; 34: 705-711
- Factors associated with nutritional decline in hospitalised medical and surgical patients admitted for 7 d or more: A prospective cohort study.Br J Nutr. 2015; 114: 1612-1622
Becker's Hospital Review. http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/finance/average-cost-per-inpatient-day-across-50-states-2016.html. Accessed July 16, 2017.
- Granting order-writing privileges to registered dietitian nutritionists can decrease costs in acute care hospitals.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 840-847
- Discharge planning and hospital readmission.Med Care Res Rev. 2016; ([published online ahead of print May 3, 2016])https://doi.org/10.7755/8716647652
- Nutritional follow-up after discharge prevents readmission to hospital–a randomized clinical trial.J Nutr Health Aging. 2017; 21: 75-82
- Discharge planning from hospital.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; : CD000313
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT The study was funded in part by a grant to H. J. Silver from Avalere Health. The Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative (MQii) is a project of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Avalere Health, and other stakeholders who provide expertise and guidance through a collaborative partnership. Support for the MQii was provided by Abbott (Columbus, OH).