Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Trends in obesity prevalence among children and adolescents in the United States, 1988-1994 through 2013-2014.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2292-2299
- Obesity among Latino children within a migrant farmworker community.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: S274-S281
- Health status in an invisible population: Carnival and migrant worker children.West J Nurs Res. 2007; 29: 100-120
- Children in immigrant and nonimmigrant farmworker families.in: Hernandez D.J. Children of Immigrants: Health, Adjustment and Public Assistance. The National Academies Press, Washington, DC1999: 620-658
- Diet quality among preschool-age children of Latino migrant and seasonal farmworkers in the United States.J Immigr Minor Health. 2016; 18: 505-512
- Nutritional strategies of Latino farmworker families with preschool children: Identifying leverage points for obesity prevention.Soc Sci Med. 2014; 123: 72-81
- Latino mothers in farmworker families’ beliefs about preschool children’s physical activity and play.J Immigr Minor Health. 2016; 18: 234-242
- Toddler-feeding practices among Mexican American mothers. A qualitative study.Appetite. 2011; 56: 629-632
- Body image, weight, and food choices of Latina women and their children.J Nutr Behav. 2003; 35: 236-248
- Profiles of food security for US farmworker households and factors related to dynamic of change.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e42-e47
- Access to care for children of migratory agricultural workers: Factors associated with unmet need for medical care.Pediatrics. 2004; 113: e276-e282
- The effect of parental immigration authorization on health insurance coverage for migrant Latino children.J Immigr Minor Health. 2008; 10: 247-254
- Anticipatory guidance about child diet and physical activity for Latino farmworker mothers.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2016; 27: 1064-1079
- Revisiting a neglected construct: Parenting styles in a child-feeding context.Appetite. 2005; 44: 83-92
- Feeding styles and child weight status among recent immigrant mother-child dyads.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 62
- Measuring feeding in low-income African-American and Hispanic parents.Appetite. 2006; 46: 215-223
- Parenting styles, feeding styles, feeding practices, and weight status in 4-12 year-old children: A systematic review of the literature.Front Psychol. 2015; 6: 1849
- Parent behavior and child weight status among a diverse group of underserved rural families.Appetite. 2010; 54: 369-377
- Indulgent feeding style and children’s weight status in preschool.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2008; 29: 403-410
- Associations among parental feeding styles and children’s food intake in families with limited incomes.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2009; 6: 55
- Feeding practices and styles used by a diverse sample of low-income parents of preschool-age children.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: 242-249
- Emotional climate, feeding practices, and feeding styles: An observational analysis of the dinner meal in Head Start families.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 60
- The benefits of authoritative feeding style: Caregiver feeding styles and children’s food consumption patterns.Appetite. 2005; 44: 243-249
Kaiser LL, Melgar-Quinonez HR, Lamp CL, Johns MC, Harwood JO. Acculturation of Mexican-American mothers influences child feeding strategies. J Am Diet Assoc. 101(5):542-547.
- Cultural and contextual influences on parenting in Mexican American families.J Marriage Fam. 2009; 71: 61-79
- Maternal attitudes and behaviors regarding feeding practices in elementary school-aged Latino children: A pilot qualitative study on the impact of the cultural role of mothers in the US-Mexican border region of San Diego, California.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 230-237
- Parenting styles, feeding styles, and their influence on child obesogenic behaviors and body weight. A review.Appetite. 2013; 71: 232-241
National Institutes of Health. Certificates of confidentiality. https://humansubjects.nih.gov/coc/index. Accessed March 2, 2017.
NDS-R [computer program]. Version 2011. Minneapolis, MN: Nutrition Coordinating Center; 2011.
- Caregiver’s Feeding Styles Questionnaire. Establishing cutoff points.Appetite. 2012; 58: 393-395
- A diet quality index for American preschoolers based on current dietary intake recommendations and an indicator of energy balance.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1594-1604
- Age at adiposity rebound is associated with fat mass in young adult males—The GOOD Study.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e49404
- Longitudinal profiles of eudaimonic well-being in Asian American adolescents.Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2017; ([published online ahead of print April 10, 2017]) (http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/cdp0000156)
- Analysis by categorizing or dichotomizing continuous variables is inadvisable: An example from the natural history of unruptured aneurysms.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011; 32: 437-440
- Partially ordered mixed hidden Markov model for the disablement process of older adults.J Am Stat Assoc. 2013; 108: 370-384
- Multi-profile hidden Markov model for mood, dietary intake, and physical activity in an intervention study of childhood obesity.Stat Med. 2013; 32: 2213-2241
Dynamic Multichain Graphical Modeling Tool. http://dmgm.wfuhs.arane.us/. Updated January 20, 2017. Accessed March 2, 2017.
SAS for Windows [computer program]. Version 9.3. Cary, NC: SAS Inc; 2017.
US Department of Health and Human Services and US Department of Agriculture. 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th ed. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Accessed December 15, 2015.
- Food intakes of US children and adolescents compared with recommendations.Pediatrics. 1997; 100: 323-329
- Fruit and vegetable intakes of children and adolescents in the United States.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1996; 150: 81-86
- Dietary intakes of preschool-aged children in relation to caregivers’ race/ethnicity, acculturation, and demographic characteristics: Results from the 2007 California Health Interview Survey.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 1844-1853
- Associations among food insecurity, acculturation, demographic factors, and fruit and vegetable intake at home in Hispanic children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 697-701
- Racial/ethnic and immigrant differences in early childhood diet quality.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 1308-1317
- Maternal depression, stress and feeding styles: Towards a framework for theory and research in child obesity.Br J Nutr. 2015; 113: 855-871
- Low demanding parental feeding style is associated with low consumption of whole grains among children of recent immigrants.Appetite. 2015; 95: 211-218
- Permissive parental feeding behavior is associated with an increase in intake of low-nutrient-dense foods among American children living in rural communities.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 142-148
- Ethnic differences in adolescent achievement. An ecological perspective.Am Psychol. 1992; 47: 723-729
- Parenting style, religiosity, peer alcohol use, and adolescent heavy drinking.J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2014; 75: 222-227
- Parenting styles and overweight status in first grade.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 2047-2054
- Effects of authoritative parental control on child behavior.Child Dev. 1966; 37: 887-907
- Socialization in the context of the family: Parent−child interaction.in: Hetherington E. Handbook of Child Psychology: Socialization, Personality and Social Development. Wiley, New York, NY1983: 1-101
- The acquisition of food acceptance patterns in children.in: Boakers R.A. Popplewell D.A. Burton M.J. Eating Habits: Food, Physiology and Learned Behavior. Wiley, London, UK1987: 107-130
- Restricting access to palatable food affects children’s behavioral response, food selection, and intake.Am J Clin Nutr. 1999; 69: 1264-1272
- Mothers’ child-feeding practices influence daughters’ eating and weight.Am J Clin Nutr. 2000; 71: 1054-1061
- The risks and alternatives to physical punishment use with children.J Pediatr Health Care. 2003; 17: 126-132
- Parental feeding practices predict authoritative, authoritarian, and permissive parenting styles.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1154-1161
- Food-frequency questionnaires: A review of their design, validation and utilisation.Nutr Res Rev. 2004; 17: 5-22
- Measuring diet in primary school children aged 6-11 years: Validation of the Child and Diet Evaluation Tool (CADET) with an emphasis on fruit and vegetable intake.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2015; 69: 234-241
- Maternal education is associated with feeding style.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 894-898
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research was supported by grant R01HD059855 from the National Institute for Child Health and Human Development, grant 1R01HL101066 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, UL1TR001420 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, grant P30DK056350 from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, and grant SES-1229549 from the National Science Foundation.