Main outcome measures
Statistical analysis performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
US Department of Agriculture. 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/resources/2015-2020_Dietary_Guidelines.pdf. Accesssed January 10, 2017.
- Nutrient intakes of US infants, toddlers, and preschoolers meet or exceed dietary reference intakes.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2010; 110: S27-S37
- Food consumption patterns of young preschoolers: Are they starting off on the right path?.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2010; 110: S52-S59
- Vital signs: Fruit and vegetable intake among children—United States, 2003-2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 671-676
US Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. Early Childhood Program Participation Survey of the National Household Education Surveys Program 2012. https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d14/tables/dt14_202.30.asp. Accessed February 20, 2016.
- The role of child care settings in obesity prevention.Future Child. 2006; 16: 143-168
- Comparison of five teacher actions to encourage children's new food acceptance.Ann Behav Med. 1999; 21: 20-26
- Specific social influences on the acceptance of novel foods in 2-5-year-old children.Appetite. 2005; 45: 264-271
- Development of food preferences.Annu Rev Nutr. 1999; 19: 41-62
- Development of eating behaviors among children and adolescents.Pediatrics. 1998; 101: 539-549
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Benchmarks for nutrition in child care.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2011; 111: 607-615
- Improving the physical activity and nutrition environment through self-assessment (NAP SACC) in rural area child care centers in North Carolina.Prev Med. 2014; 67: S10-S16
- An intervention to promote healthy weight: Nutrition and Physical Activity Self-Assessment for Child Care (NAP SACC) theory and design.Prev Chronic Dis. 2007; 4: A67
American Academy of Pediatrics, American Public Health Association, National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education. Caring for Our Children: National Health and Safety Performance Standards; Guidelines for Early Care and Education Programs. 3rd ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; Washington, DC: American Public Health Association; 2011.
- “You will eat all of that!”: A retrospective analysis of forced consumption episodes.Appetite. 2002; 38: 211-219
- The use of inappropriate feeding practices by rural parents and their effect on preschoolers' fruit and vegetable preferences and intake.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2008; 40: 28-33
- Parents' and children's adiposity and eating style.Pediatrics. 1994; 94: 653-661
- The impact of child care providers' feeding on children's food consumption.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2007; 28: 100-107
- Nutrition and physical activity in child care centers: The impact of a wellness policy initiative on environment and policy assessment and observation outcomes, 2011.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E83
- Use of food practices by childcare staff and the association with dietary intake of children at childcare.Nutrients. 2015; 7: 2161-2175
- Are mealtime best practice guidelines for child care centers associated with energy, vegetable, and fruit intake?.Child Obes. 2016; 12: 52-58
- Child-care environment and dietary intake of 2- and 3-year-old children.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2010; 23: 97-101
- An instrument to assess the obesogenic environment of child care centers.Am J Health Behav. 2008; 32: 380-386
- “Are you done?” Child care providers' verbal communication at mealtimes that reinforce or hinder children's internal cues of hunger and satiation.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: 265-270
- Development and reliability of an observation method to assess food intake of young children in child care.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2007; 107: 656-661
SAS [computer program]. Version 9.3. Cary, NC: SAS Institute; 2011.
- Nutrition practices and mealtime environments of North Carolina child care centers.Child Obes. 2012; 8: 216-223
- Effectiveness of teacher modeling to encourage food acceptance in preschool children.Appetite. 2000; 34: 61-76
- The role of parental control practices in explaining children's diet and BMI.Appetite. 2008; 50: 252-259
- “Finish your soup”: Counterproductive effects of pressuring children to eat on intake and affect.Appetite. 2006; 46: 318-323
- About feeding children: Mealtimes in child-care centers in four western states.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2008; 108: 340-346
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was supported by the Gretchen Swanson Center for Nutrition and the Stephenson Cancer Center at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, as well as the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Department of Nutritional Sciences.