Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Food neophobia and “picky/fussy” eating in children: A review.Appetite. 2008; 50: 181-193
- Toward an operative diagnosis of fussy/picky eating: A latent profile approach in a population-based cohort.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014; 11: 14-24
- Development of the Children’s Eating Behaviour Questionnaire.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2001; 42: 963-970
- Prevalence of picky eaters among infants and toddlers and their caregivers’ decisions about offering a new food.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: S57-S64
- Preschool children’s eating behaviours are related to dietary adequacy and body weight.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007; 61: 846-855
- Growth and development in Chinese pre-schoolers with picky eating behaviour: A cross-sectional study.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0123664
- Behavioral validation, precursors, and concomitants of picky eating in childhood.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003; 42: 76-84
- Caregivers’ perceptions about picky eating: Associations with texture acceptance and food intake.FASEB J. 2014; 28: S379.3
- Picky eating during childhood: A longitudinal study to age 11-years.Eat Behav. 2010; 11: 253-257
- Problem eating behaviors related to social factors and body weight in preschool children: A longitudinal study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2007; 4: 9-18
- Prevalence of overweight in kindergarten children in the centre of Israel—Association with lifestyle habits.Child Care Health Dev. 2009; 35: 147-152
- Does picky eating affect weight-for-length measurements in young children?.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2010; 49: 217-220
- Iron deficiency and cognitive achievement among school-aged children and adolescents in the United States.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: 1381-1386
- Infection and early atherosclerosis: Does the evidence support causation?.Acta Paediatr. 2005; 94: 643-651
- Appetite and adiposity in children: Evidence for a behavioral susceptibility theory of obesity.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 22-29
- Relation of emotional and behavioral problems with body mass index in preschool children: The Generation R study.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2012; 33: 641-648
- Satiety responsiveness in toddlerhood predicts energy intake and weight status at four years of age.Appetite. 2014; 74: 79-85
- Early growth and coronary heart disease in later life: Longitudinal study.Br Med J. 2001; 322: 949-953
- Obesity in preschoolers: Behavioral correlates and directions for treatment.Obesity. 2012; 20: 3-29
- Parental influence on children’s early eating environments and obesity risk: Implications for prevention.Int J Obes. 2010; 34: 1116-1124
- Preventing childhood obesity: What works?.Int J Obes. 2009; 33: S74-S81
- The ecology of developmental processes.in: Damon W. Lerner R.M. Handbook of Child Psychology: Volume 1: Theoritical Models of Human Development. 5th ed. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ1998: 993-1028
- Typology of emergent eating patterns in early childhood.Eat Behav. 2011; 12: 242-248
- Influence of parents’ eating behaviors and child feeding practices on children's weight status.Obesity. 2006; 14: 431-439
Sinha M, Bleakney A. Spotlight on Canadians: Results from the General Social Survey. Receiving care at home. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-652-x/89-652-x2014002-eng.htm. Published June 2014. Accessed November 15, 2014.
- What role can child-care settings play in obesity prevention? A review of the evidence and call for research efforts.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1343-1362
- Cultural differences in parental feeding practices and children’s eating behaviours and their relationships with child BMI: A comparison of black Afro-Caribbean, white British and white German samples.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013; 67: 180-184
- Association between parenting practices and children’s dietary intake, activity behavior and development of body mass index: The KOALA Birth Cohort Study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 18-30
- Children’s eating behavior, feeding practices of parents and weight problems in early childhood: Results from the population-based Generation R Study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 130-140
- Parent feeding restriction and child weight. The mediating role of child disinhibited eating and the moderating role of the parenting context.Appetite. 2009; 52: 726-734
- Maternal report of young children’s eating styles. Validation of the Children’s Eating Behaviour Questionnaire in three ethnically diverse Australian samples.Appetite. 2013; 64: 48-55
- Examining behavioural susceptibility to obesity among Canadian pre-school children: The role of eating behaviours.Int J Pediatr Obes. 2011; 6: e501-e507
- How far are associations between child, family and community factors and child psychopathology informant-specific and informant-general?.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2009; 50: 571-580
- Measuring food intake: An overview.in: Allison D. Handbook of Assessment Measures for Eating Behaviors and Weight-Related Problems. Sage Publishing, Thousand Oaks, CA1995: 215-240
- Use of the plate-waste method to measure food intake in children.J Ext. 2007; 45: 6RIB7
- Nutrition education in the Little Rock School Lunch Program.J Am Diet Assoc. 1978; 72: 389-391
- Energy and macronutrient consumption of elementary school children served modified lower fat and sodium lunches or standard higher fat and sodium lunches.J Am Coll Nutr. 1996; 15: 602-607
- Elementary students’ food consumption at lunch does not meet recommended dietary allowance for energy, iron, and vitamin A.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 1060-1063
- Effects of restrictive and self-selected feeding on preschool children’s food intake and waste at snacktime.J Nutr Educ. 1994; 26: 273-277
- Modification of vegetable-eating behavior in preschool children.J Nutr Educ. 1972; 4: 100-103
- A multilevel intervention to increase physical activity and improve healthy eating and physical literacy among young children (ages 3-5) attending early childcare centres: The Healthy Start-Départ Santé cluster randomised controlled trial study protocol.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 313-322
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Body Composition Procedures Manual. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_03_04/BC.pdf. Revised January 2004. Accessed January 1, 2014.
- Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: International survey.Br Med J. 2000; 320: 1240-1243
- Obesity in children and young people: A crisis in public health.Obes Rev. 2004; 5: 4-104
- Are age references for waist circumference, hip circumference and waist-hip ratio in Dutch children useful in clinical practice?.Eur J Pediatr. 2005; 164: 216-222
- Comparison of digital photography to weighed and visual estimation of portion sizes.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1139-1145
- Maternal feeding strategies, child eating behaviors, and child BMI in low-income African-American preschoolers.Obesity. 2006; 14: 2026-2033
Statistics Canada. Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS): Annual Component−2010 Questionnaire. http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb-bmdi/instrument/3226_Q1_V7-eng.pdf. Published July 2010. Accessed September 29, 2013.
Community Information Database. Metropolitan Influence Zones (MIZ) typology 2006. http://map.cid-bdc.ca/#s=2006;i=comtype.miz;sly=can_sdr_DR;sid=689;v=map1;l=en;z=2149095,322536,269304,188240. Published 2006. Accessed September 5, 2013.
- Overweight and obesity in children and adolescents: Results from the 2009 to 2011 Canadian Health Measures Survey.Health Rep. 2012; 23: 37-41
IBM SPSS Statistical Software [computer program]. Version 22.0. Armonk, NY: IBM Corp; 2013.
- Foundations of Psychological Testing.2nd edition. Sage Publishing, Thousand Oaks, CA2005
- School children’s consumption of lower-calorie flavored milk: A plate waste study.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 132-136
- Research Methods in Clinical Psychology: An Introduction for Students and Practitioners.2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, UK2002
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Healthy Start/Départ Santé is financially supported by grants from the Public Health Agency of Canada, the Consortium national de formation en santé, the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada and the Community Initiative Fund from the Government of Saskatchewan. Véronique Surette was funded through a Faculté de médecine et des sciences de la santé de l’Université de Sherbrooke Graduate Scholarship and Stéphanie Ward was funded through a Canadian Institutes of Health Research Charles Best Canada Graduate Scholarships Doctoral Award and a Gérard-Eugène-Plante Doctoral Scholarship.