Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Latino student transition to college: Assessing difficulties and factors in successful college adjustment.Res High Educ. 1996; 37: 135-157
- US higher education: The Arizona experiment.Nature. 2007; 446: 968-970
- “I Am Working-Class” subjective self-definition as a missing measure of social class and socioeconomic status in higher education research.Educ Res. 2014; 43: 196-200
- Bridging socio-cultural incongruity: Conceptualising the success of students from low socio-economic status backgrounds in Australian higher education.Stud High Educ. 2013; 38: 939-949
- The engagement of mature distance students.Int J FYHE. 2013; 32: 791-804
- The representation of minority, female, and non-traditional STEM majors in the online environment at community colleges a nationally representative study.Community Coll Rev. 2015; 43 ([published online ahead of print November 24 2014]): 89-114
- Can I do both? Be employed and graduate? Adult non-traditional learners who combine employment and higher education enrollment-A look at persistence and best practices to overcoming barriers to improve success and retention.Adult Education Research Conference, Manhattan, KS2015
- College students with children are common and face many challenges in completing higher education. Briefing Paper# C404.Institute for Women's Policy Research, Washington, DC2013
Dubick J, Mathews B, Cady C. Hunger on campus, the challenge of food insecurity for college students. CUFBA Web site. Published October 2016. http://www.cufba.org/report-hunger-on-campus/. Accessed October 24, 2016.
- Food insecurity affects school children’s academic performance, weight gain, and social skills.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 2831-2839
- The negative effects of poverty & food insecurity on child development.Indian J Med Res. 2007; 126: 262-272
- Household food insecurity: Associations with at-risk infant and toddler development.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: 65-72
- Working to eat: vulnerability, food insecurity, and obesity among migrant and seasonal farmworker families.Am J Ind Med. 2010; 53: 443-462
- “A lot of sacrifices:” Work–family spillover and the food choice coping strategies of low-wage employed parents.Soc Sci Med. 2006; 63: 2591-2603
- Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 304-310
- Food insecurity and chronic disease.Adv Nutr. 2013; 4: 203-212
Kolowich S. How many college students are going hungry? Published 2015. http://www.chronicle.com/article/How-Many-College-Students-Are/234033?cid=trend_right. Accessed October 24, 2016.
Saul S. Food pantries address a growing hunger problem at colleges. Published 2016. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/education/food-pantries-address-a-growing-hunger-problem-at-colleges.html?_r=1. Accessed October 24, 2016.
Pappano L. Leftover meal plan swipes: No waste here. Published 2016. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/education/edlife/what-to-do-with-those-leftover-meal-plan-swipes.html. Accessed October 24, 2016.
College and University Food Bank Alliance website. http://www.cufba.org/member-info/. Accessed October 24, 2016.
Definitions of food security. Updated October 4 2016. https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/definitions-of-food-security.aspx. Accessed October 24, 2016.
- How do student clients of a university-based food bank cope with food insecurity?.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2015; 76: 200-203
- Food insecure student clients of a university-based food bank have compromised health, dietary intake and academic quality.Nutr Diet. 2016; (http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1747-0080.12307)
Lindsley K, King C. Food insecurity of campus-residing Alaskan college students. [poster]. Published 2013. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/277300658_Food_Insecurity_of_Campus-Residing_Alaskan_College_Students_Poster_Session. Accessed July 10, 2016.
Nelson M. Food insecurity among Anchorage Alaskan campus-residing college students. Published 2015. https://www.academia.edu/22325211/Food_Insecurity_Among_Anchorage_Alaskan_Campus-Residing_College_Students. Accessed July 17, 2016.
Wintz R, Chriest N. Food insecurity within the University student population A survey at the University of Alaska Anchorage. https://www.uaa.alaska.edu/academics/honors-college/ours/opportunities/research/_documents/wintz-rachel-and-chriest-nathaniel-ugr.pdf. Accessed June 4, 2016.
Spring 2015 Food Insecurities Survey results. Published 2015. http://www.mtu.edu/huskyfan/learn/survey-spring-2015.pdf. Accessed May 27, 2016.
Food insecurity: Results and progress. Michigan Tech. http://megaslides.com/doc/7847141/. Accessed June 13, 2016.
- Food insecurity prevalence among college students at the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 2097-2103
- The relationship between perceived psychological distress, behavioral indicators and African-American female college student food insecurity.Am J Health Stud. 2013; 28: 127-133
- Prevalence and correlates of food insecurity among students attending a midsize rural university in Oregon.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 209-214
- Evaluation of food insecurity among college students.Am Int J Contemp Res. 2014; 4: 46-49
- Examining the role of financial factors, resources and skills in predicting food security status among college students.Int J Consum Stud. 2014; 38: 374-384
- Food insecurity among community college students: Prevalence and association with grade point average.Community Coll J. 2015; 39: 515-526
Silva MR, Kleinert WL, Sheppard AV, et al. The relationship between food security, housing stability, and school performance among college students in an urban University [abstract]. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory & Practice. 2014. http://csr.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/12/11/1521025115621918.abstract. Accessed July 15, 2016.
- Factors related to the high rates of food insecurity among diverse, urban college freshmen.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1450-1457
- The prevalence of food security and insecurity among Illinois University students.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48: 376-382.e1
- Hunger for knowledge: Food insecurity among students at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.Perspect Educ. 2013; 31: 168-179
- Food security status and academic performance of students on financial aid: The case of the University of KwaZulu-Natal.Alternation (Durb). 2013; 9: 248-264
- Food insecurity among students at the University of the Free State, South Africa.South Afr J Clin Nutr. 2015; 28: 160-169
- Student food insecurity: The skeleton in the university closet.Nutr Diet. 2011; 68: 27-32
- Food insecurity among university students in Victoria: A pilot study.Nutr Diet. 2014; 71: 258-264
- Food insecurity: Is it an issue among tertiary students?.J High Educ. 2014; 67: 497-510
- Food security status: It's association with inflammatory marker and lipid profile among young adult.Int Food Res J. 2015; 22: 1855-1863
- Journeys to the food bank: Exploring the Experience of Food Insecurity among Post-Secondary Students.([thesis]) University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada2011
Booth A. Anybody could be at risk: Food (in)security within the University of Northern British Columbia [report]. Published March 2016. http://www.cupe3799.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Food-Security-at-UNBC-Final-2016-Report-2.pdf. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- Understanding Students' Accessibility and Barriers to Nourishing Food.([internship project]) University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand2014
- Food insecurity is related to obesity and lipid alterations in Mexican college students.FASEB J. 2014; 28 ([abstract])
- Extent of BGSU Student Food Insecurity and Community Resource Use.([honors project]) Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH2014
Goldrick-Rab S, Broton K, Eisenberg D. Hungry to learn: Addressing food & housing insecurty among undergraduates. University of Wisconsin-Madison. Published 2015. http://wihopelab.com/publications/Wisconsin_hope_lab_hungry_to_learn.pdf. Accessed July 16, 2016.
- Food Insecurity Prevalence among College Students at Kent State University.([thesis]) Kent State University, Kent, OH2014
- Assessing Differences in Food Security Status Among College Students Enrolled at a Public California State University Campus.([thesis]) California State University, Fresno, CA2013
Burns-Whitmore B, Carmona V. The prevalence of food insecurity among students at California State Polytechnic University (Cal Poly Pomona) [abstract]. Published 2012. http://sccur.csuci.edu/abstract/viewabstract/the-prevalence-of-food-insecurity-among-students-at-california-state-polytechnic-university-cal-poly-pomona-.htm. Accessed July 15, 2016.
Maguire J, O'Neill M, Aberson C. California State University Food and Housing Security Survey: Emerging patterns from the Humboldt State University data. Published 2016. http://hsuohsnap.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ExecutiveSummary.docx1-14-16.pdf. Accessed July 13, 2016.
- Food Insecurity among Community College Students: Prevalence and Relationship to GPA, Energy, and Concentration.([dissertation]) Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD2013
- Food Insecurity and Educational Attainment at the University of Arkansas.([honors thesis]) University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR2016
Key statistics & graphics. Published 2016. https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/key-statistics-graphics/#foodsecure. Accessed June 23, 2016.
Rosier K. Food insecurity in Australia: What is it, who experiences it and how can child and family services support families experiencing it? Published 2011. https://aifs.gov.au/cfca/publications/food-insecurity-australia-what-it-who-experiences-it-and-how-can-child. Accessed October 24, 2016.
Food security & systems. http://ana.org.nz/resource-category/food-security/. Accessed October 24, 2016.
du Toit D. Food security agriculture, forestry, and fisheries. Published 2011. http://www.nda.agric.za/docs/genreports/foodsecurity.pdf. Accessed October 24, 2016.
- Food insecurity is associated with adverse health outcomes among human infants and toddlers.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 1432-1438
- Hunger of the body and hunger of the mind: African American women’s perceptions of food insecurity, health and violence.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 116-125
- Food security, poverty, and human development in the United States.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008; 1136: 193-209
- Food insufficiency and American school-aged children's cognitive, academic, and psychosocial development.Pediatrics. 2001; 108: 44-53
- Nutritional quality and price of university food bank hampers.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2006; 67: 104-107
- Nutritional quality and price of food hampers distributed by a campus food bank: A Canadian experience.J Health Popul Nutr. 2014; 32: 287-300
- Food banks and food security: Welfare reform, human rights and social policy. Lessons from Canada?.Soc Policy Adm. 2002; 36: 648-663
- A novel food pantry program: Food security, self-sufficiency, and diet-quality outcomes.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 569-575
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Published 2016. http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/facts-about-snap. Accessed October 24, 2016.
Assembly passes higher education measures. Published 2016. http://asmdc.org/members/a17/news-room/press-releases/assembly-passes-higher-education-measures. Accessed July 15, 2016.
Freudenberg N, Manzo L, Jones H, et al. Food Insecurity at CUNY: Results from a Survey of CUNY Undergraduate Students. New York, NY: City University of New York website. https://www.gc.cuny.edu/CUNY_GC/media/CUNY-Graduate-Center/PDF/Centers/Center%20for%20Human%20Environments/cunyfoodinsecurity.pdf. Published 2011. Accessed June 17, 2016.
Student Food Access Survey. San Jose, CA: San Jose State University website. http://www.sjsu.edu/wellness/foodresources/Survey%20Data.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Student Attitudes and Usage of the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP).([capstone project]) Pacific University, Forest Grove, OR2014
- Getting help when needed: Food insecurity among college students and the impact of food pantry availability.([thesis]) University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL2013
- Food insecurity at Humboldt State University.([thesis]) Humboldt State University, Arcata, CAMay 2015
UCSF Office of Institutional Research. Food Security at UCSF: Spring 2015 Student Survey [report]. San Francisco, CA: University of California, San Francisco. https://oir.ucsf.edu/sites/oir.ucsf.edu/files/wysiwyg/Food-Security-Survey-Report.pdf. Published 2015. Accessed July 5, 2016.
- Food insecurity among undergraduate students.FASEB J. 2015; 29 ([abstract]) (1)(suppl LB404)
Lamas F. Food security for all Fresno State students. The Fresno Bee website. https://www.fresnostate.edu/studentaffairs/documents/Food%20security%20for%20all%20Fresno%20State%20students.pdf. Fresno, CA. Accessed July 5, 2016.
Gavilan College Institutional Research. Food Security Survey. Gilroy, CA: Gavilan College website. http://www.gavilan.edu/research/reports/documents/8-13-13results.pdf. Published 2013. Accessed July 27, 2016.
Broton K, Frank V, Goldrick-Rab S. Safety, Security, and College Attainment: An Investigation of Undergraduates’ Basic Needs and Institutional Response. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin-Madison. http://www.wihopelab.com/publications/APPAM.Draft.10.28.2014.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed July 5, 2016.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was supported by the National Institutes of Health Common Fund from the Office of the Director and the Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (grant no. 1DP5OD017910-01 to Principal Investigator M. Bruening). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.